Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some LED replacement bulbs for the turn signals...I took one bulb out to look at..determined it was a PY21 bulb (a European type 21 watt bulb)
The bad news is that while trying to put it back in it dropped from my hand and landed on a concrete floor and shattered :(

The worse news is...here in the united stated trying to find an amber py21 bulb is like looking for plutonium...you know it exists but you cant find anyone with it to purchase it...I called my dealer and they said they would have to order me one for $5.
I took the old shattered bulb..drove to advance auto parts and matched the base to one of theirs. A 7507 type bulb is apparently the American version of the PY21- a fact that no one anywhere seems to know...except for you reading this.....so save yourself some trouble if you ever need one...i paid $6 for 2 bulbs so now i have a spare if i need it and they are an exact copy of whats in there now.

My LEd bulbs will be in in a week or 2...if they are bright i will order 2 more for the other 2 turn signals..

The turn signals bulbs are 21 watts apiece...the led's are 2 watts apiece..so i will be saving a total of 76 watts by replacing the stock turn signal bulbs with LED's....
My denali led driving lights I am getting in the spring are 20 watts total so i will still be taxing the battery less than it when came from the factory even with the added driving lights :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was looking for some LED replacement bulbs for the turn signals...I took one bulb out to look at..determined it was a PY21 bulb (a European type 21 watt bulb)
The bad news is that while trying to put it back in it dropped from my hand and landed on a concrete floor and shattered :(

The worse news is...here in the united stated trying to find an amber py21 bulb is like looking for plutonium...you know it exists but you cant find anyone with it to purchase it...I called my dealer and they said they would have to order me one for $5.
I took the old shattered bulb..drove to advance auto parts and matched the base to one of theirs. A 7507 type bulb is apparently the American version of the PY21- a fact that no one anywhere seems to know...except for you reading this.....so save yourself some trouble if you ever need one...i paid $6 for 2 bulbs so now i have a spare if i need it and they are an exact copy of whats in there now.

My LEd bulbs will be in in a week or 2...if they are bright i will order 2 more for the other 2 turn signals..

The turn signals bulbs are 21 watts apiece...the led's are 2 watts apiece..so i will be saving a total of 76 watts by replacing the stock turn signal bulbs with LED's....
My denali led driving lights I am getting in the spring are 20 watts total so i will still be taxing the battery less than it when came from the factory even with the added driving lights :)
Just remember you will have to add a resistor or they will blink at super speed hehe. The resistor may also defeat any wattage decrease lol

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Electronic relay?

Just remember you will have to add a resistor or they will blink at super speed hehe. The resistor may also defeat any wattage decrease lol
Hopefully we can come up an electronic flasher relay that will give us the correct blink speed with out any drain resistors. The bike may have that style already because the ft turn signals are also iluminated all the time at half power as running lights. The leds may work well in the rear with no mods but the ft is a single filament bulb that is under electronic voltage control.

·
Registered
706 Posts
People that have done the rear tidy tail have had to add resistors. LED's don't always like different voltage. Hopefully they still work on the dimmed running light mode.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People that have done the rear tidy tail have had to add resistors. LED's don't always like different voltage. Hopefully they still work on the dimmed running light mode.
At less than $5 for both LED's (shipping included) if they flash too fast then ill just keep the stock bulbs in,,,as far as running light mode goes, are they really dimmed at half power..i have never really payed attention..I thought the front just stayed on all the time when the bikes on to act as a running light then flashes OFF & back ON when it's being a turn signal

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
dim

At less than $5 for both LED's (shipping included) if they flash too fast then ill just keep the stock bulbs in,,,as far as running light mode goes, are they really dimmed at half power..i have never really payed attention..I thought the front just stayed on all the time when the bikes on to act as a running light then flashes OFF & back ON when it's being a turn signal
They burn dim for running and flash completely off and bright for turn signals.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Led turn signal bulbs came in today..tried one up front...indeed it does flash faster and makes the rear bulb flash fast too..plus..its no where near as bright as the stock so i wouldnt have used it anyway...oh well..it was a $5 experiment..no big deal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Led turn signal bulbs came in today..tried one up front...indeed it does flash faster and makes the rear bulb flash fast too..plus..its no where near as bright as the stock so i wouldnt have used it anyway...oh well..it was a $5 experiment..no big deal
Have you tried a LED bulb in the brake light? I am curious if they r brighter and worth it...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the links..I orderd a brake light bulb..ended up being $36.. but I am still looking to drop watts for when i add LED driving lights plus making the lights brighter so it will be worth it in the long run to me.

120 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS
108 high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 12 high powered SMT forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 55 mm overall - fits all stock housings

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts