Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find when I take my cbr around corners in a lean it's very unstable and wants to stand up. My bf rode my bike and he has 10+ riding years experience and agrees with me. He's afraid to going fast on it. I've heard there are stability bars available for it. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced it too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
how fast are you going around the turns? the faster you go the more stable it's going to be. also how high in the rpms are you? i haven't been overly aggressive with mine but i've done some pretty "spirited" on ramp curves no problem

you mean a steering stabilizer?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Tyre pressures, wheel alignment.

Are you countersteering to settle it down?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how fast are you going around the turns? the faster you go the more stable it's going to be. also how high in the rpms are you? i haven't been overly aggressive with mine but i've done some pretty "spirited" on ramp curves no problem

you mean a steering stabilizer?
Revs are about 6-7000 rpm and I'm going faster that the posted limit :p (fast enough to lean off the side ie 80-100km)
The stabilizer goes on the front forks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I hope your counter steering and leaning in correctly

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've never experienced this problem on mine but I don't get too crazy around corners. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I assume you have the stock OEM setup.
I have no such issues; it rides like a CB or VFR; neutral in corners with no under/over steer. A little throttle will help it standup/widen the turn.
I suspect you are leaning or balancing wrong. That's all I can imagine.
If this continues take to the dealer for a check.
PS; was yours made in India?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Tyres with chicken strips can cause some instability on the edge of the flat section.
ie the tyre loses its radial profile.

Many come unstuck going to a trackday on highway tyres.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I just spent the weekend riding some of the curviest roads east tn and west NC have to offer and my opinion is this bike corners like a dream and sticks like the tires are made of glue...I had it leaned far enough in some of those 90-120 degree corners that I was almost scraping knees on pavement (and thats without leaning off the seat one tiny bit) and coming out of the corners while giving it throttle, it only stands up when I am ready for it to straighten out...I'm with Macca and Rick on this one

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I just spent the weekend riding some of the curviest roads east tn and west NC have to offer and my opinion is this bike corners like a dream and sticks like the tires are made of glue...I had it leaned far enough in some of those 90-120 degree corners that I was almost scraping knees on pavement (and thats without leaning off the seat one tiny bit) and coming out of the corners while giving it throttle, it only stands up when I am ready for it to straighten out...I'm with Macca and Rick on this one
Sounds like you might have been dodging bullets. I hope you remembered to wear your butt naked kevlar leathers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've scraped foot pegs on several occasions and i haven't had any issues. Im with the other guys seems you need to change your riding style or get the bike looked at.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds like you might have been dodging bullets. I hope you remembered to wear your butt naked kevlar leathers.
I wear cordura textiles, not kevlar leathers..and I didn't get much over the 30mph speed limit posted on the road for 2 reasons...I dont think I am bullet proof wearing gear and Tennesse State Troopers love giving $130+ speeding tickets to motorcycles :) But I did get to get rid of the chicken strips while having a blast for the afternoon.

·
745 Posts
like for dirt bikes? i don't know if i've seen those on a streetbike. i don't know might be your particular bike or the area you were riding
Actually, a lot of the Superbikes come from the factory with them, and they are routinely fitted to racing bikes - they're also called steering dampers.

Basically, it's a miniature shock absorber, installed to dampen the oscillations that occur when the frame is torqued under power or cornering. left unchecked (or stiff-armed by the rider), they can progress to the point where the front end of the bike is whipping from full lock to full lock - also called a tank slapper. Typically, bike that don't load a lot of stress on the frame (like the CBR250) don't need them

Xtina - what kind of bike does your BF ride? Sport bikes are often thought to be "unstable" by people coming from cruising style bikes - the center of gravity is higher, the steering tube angle is more vertical, and sport bikes typically has less trail (for example, the CBR 250 has 95mm of trail versus 113 mm on the 250 Rebel Cruiser). These traits make the bike turn in quicker and with much less effort than a comparable cruiser, but it also makes them a bit more "nervous", especially if you have a death grip on the bars (not saying you do!). The lower CG of cruisers makes them feel more stable in a straight line.

Having said all that, I'd take it to the dealer and have a mechanic ride it. He's most likely an experienced rider, and he can tell you if something is wrong.

By the way several experienced riders have taken mine out for a spin, and they all liked the way the CBR handled. I'm hoping that it something simple (rear tire alignment?) that's making yours feel squirrelly.

Good Luck!

Luke

·
Registered
210 Posts

I agree with those who like the handling. Honda nailed it on this bike; its a dream.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I wear cordura textiles, not kevlar leathers..and I didn't get much over the 30mph speed limit posted on the road for 2 reasons...I dont think I am bullet proof wearing gear and Tennesse State Troopers love giving $130+ speeding tickets to motorcycles :) But I did get to get rid of the chicken strips while having a blast for the afternoon.
Nice to see that you haven't put me on your ignore list, spdklls. If you did, you would miss out on pearls of wisdom from the Pearl of the Andaman. It is a pity you take yourself so seriously though..... lighten up buddy.

You are lucky to have those ten State Troopers to keep you under control. It would be a shame to crash at high speed and mess up those textile leathers. They must make you look like a real biker.

We don't have Troopers around these parts. We have a couple of thousand policemen who can be found manning the traffic lights at busy times of day, sometimes in twos or threes. On occasion gangs of a dozen or so set up shop on the side of the road, to take contributions to the Police Benevolent Fund from students and tourists on motorcycles, who obligingly stop sans helmet or driving licence, or somewhat intoxicated. Motorcycles traveling too fast and cars don't usually bother to stop.

Cheap Charlies are not given any documentation, but the more generous are given a form that exempts them from having to wear a helmet or carry a licence for the rest of the day. The slightly tipsy are also allowed to go on their way if they are very generous, but the more merry are given a place to party for the night.

An American ex-collegue (of three weeks standing at the time) was judged to be in the later category after smashing his rent-a-bike into somebody's nice new car. His rent-a-wife divorced him pronto, marriage unconsummated, so he called our Russian colleague to help sort things out, then he did a runner as he was disinclined to pay for the damage to the car. Now he is persona non grata in the Land of Smiles.

I find the front end of my motorised bicycle gets unstable after I have had a few, so if intoxicants are likely to be indulged in, I am inclined to take the good old deadly treadly.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It would be a shame to crash at high speed and mess up those textile leathers. They must make you look like a real biker.
Yes they sure do....go put your nose into someone else's business. It appears you are the one that needs to lighten up thailand boy...I am actually flattered to see that your life must be so void that it now revolves around me and what I choose to wear to the point that you follow me around this forum with some kind of smart a$$ comment to make on every post now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nice to see that you haven't put me on your ignore list, spdklls. If you did, you would miss out on pearls of wisdom from the Pearl of the Andaman. It is a pity you take yourself so seriously though..... lighten up buddy.

You are lucky to have those ten State Troopers to keep you under control. It would be a shame to crash at high speed and mess up those textile leathers. They must make you look like a real biker.

We don't have Troopers around these parts. We have a couple of thousand policemen who can be found manning the traffic lights at busy times of day, sometimes in twos or threes. On occasion gangs of a dozen or so set up shop on the side of the road, to take contributions to the Police Benevolent Fund from students and tourists on motorcycles, who obligingly stop sans helmet or driving licence, or somewhat intoxicated. Motorcycles traveling too fast and cars don't usually bother to stop.

Cheap Charlies are not given any documentation, but the more generous are given a form that exempts them from having to wear a helmet or carry a licence for the rest of the day. The slightly tipsy are also allowed to go on their way if they are very generous, but the more merry are given a place to party for the night.

An American ex-collegue (of three weeks standing at the time) was judged to be in the later category after smashing his rent-a-bike into somebody's nice new car. His rent-a-wife divorced him pronto, marriage unconsummated, so he called our Russian colleague to help sort things out, then he did a runner as he was disinclined to pay for the damage to the car. Now he is persona non grata in the Land of Smiles.

I find the front end of my motorised bicycle gets unstable after I have had a few, so if intoxicants are likely to be indulged in, I am inclined to take the good old deadly treadly.
did he do something in another thread? Whats with that attack?

While speeding through the corners isn't always a smart idea, the Tennessee / NC area has some of the best condition and most empty roads in the country. He was really only risking hurting himself which is his God given right IMO.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts