Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
actually when i m turning my bike the back tyre seems to be slipping.
which problem may be this is it either of the tyres, handle,or the suspension.
this has created a lot of doubts in ma mind as m lill bit conscious of bending the bike ......

·
745 Posts
One: Check the air pressure in the tires. Even if it's down only a few pounds, it will add a lot of instability to the bike.

Two: Check your technique. You should:

• Approach the turn on the line you want to take
  • Brake before the turn to slow to the correct speed
  • Brakes off, lean into the turn by using counter-steering, body english, or a combination of the two.
  • Roll the throttle back in - not a lot, but enough to make the weight neutral.
  • Try to hold a constant line and angle through the turn
  • Counter-steer to bring the bike back upright
Sportbikes by nature are more sensitive than crusiers - the center-of-gravity is higher, the fork angles are different, and the bikes are generally shorter. This is not a bad thing: it's what makes them so fun to ride.

Other things you might check are:

• Make sure that a chain adjustment has not resulted in the rear wheel being misaligned.
  • Check the fork alignment - has the bike been dropped?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have heard you India guys have a different tire than the rest of us got...for whatever reason the outer layer on your tire is harder, thus causing slipping-stepping out at speeds on corners...I have read other places that doing a burnout on the back tire to scrub off the hard layer helps..but ur best bet is a new back tire from another manufacturer

·
Registered
878 Posts
No bike should be sold with a tire so slippery it's unsafe to ride!! I'd check the air pressure as suggested above.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there was a big thread about it last year on cbr250.org..it was about the back tire feeling like it was stepping out in corners..one of the posters on the thread was an engineer who worked at the tire plant where the tires on the Indian bikes were made...he's the one who in a nutshell stated the compound in the outer layer was too hard. but always remember the law of "occam's razor" (the simplest explanation tends to be the right one) so check your air pressure first :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I have heard you India guys have a different tire than the rest of us got...for whatever reason the outer layer on your tire is harder, thus causing slipping-stepping out at speeds on corners...I have read other places that doing a burnout on the back tire to scrub off the hard layer helps..but ur best bet is a new back tire from another manufacturer
Continental have a very good reputation in Europe, they're a German company, whereas IRC are virtually unheard of, and they get slated by the motorcycle press over here. I can't speak for the Conti's that come as standard on the Indian models, as I've never ridden one with them on, but I don't have a problem with the IRC's on mine. I do ride in all weathers, but I don't push it to the limits, being a commuter, and not wanting to die young. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One: Check the air pressure in the tires. Even if it's down only a few pounds, it will add a lot of instability to the bike.

Two: Check your technique. You should:

• Approach the turn on the line you want to take
  • Brake before the turn to slow to the correct speed
  • Brakes off, lean into the turn by using counter-steering, body english, or a combination of the two.
  • Roll the throttle back in - not a lot, but enough to make the weight neutral.
  • Try to hold a constant line and angle through the turn
  • Counter-steer to bring the bike back upright
Sportbikes by nature are more sensitive than crusiers - the center-of-gravity is higher, the fork angles are different, and the bikes are generally shorter. This is not a bad thing: it's what makes them so fun to ride.

Other things you might check are:

• Make sure that a chain adjustment has not resulted in the rear wheel being misaligned.
  • Check the fork alignment - has the bike been dropped?
1]the tyre pressure as suggested is with rider$pillon=29 32 i hav kept it 29 31 b'coz sum times thr's pillon with me n some time no. SO is it right to keep this sort of pressure.
2]the bike ws dropped and the fork allingment ws been done, from tht day i m getting tht sort of pblm.bt the mechanics tell me tht thr's no pblm like tht.they jst check the sterring telling it might be jam.
3]And my chain always it loosen aftr being tighten&lube from the service station.Its creating the noise.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey guys,
actually when i m turning my bike the back tyre seems to be slipping.
Do you hang off the bike to lean a curve? or just sit flat on the seat and let the lean do all the cornering?........i had the back slipping out time to time before i learned to take corners properly......i.e. hanging off the side of the bike so you dont have to lean so low.....Much better traction

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
1]the tyre pressure as suggested is with rider$pillon=29 32 i hav kept it 29 31 b'coz sum times thr's pillon with me n some time no. SO is it right to keep this sort of pressure.
I'm sure in our manual its 29/29 single and 29/33 for pillion. I however run mine 29/33 at all times, and have had no issues.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Recently when they put on my new tires I thought it felt really twitchy. I checked the pressures and it was 37 front and rear. After going back down to 29/29 all is ad it should be. Pressures can make a big difference in how it handles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the conti's on my bike... and I absolutely HATE them... the compound is so hard that the grip is minimal... went over a wet patch just before a signal once... then when the signal turned green and I accelerated. .. the back started to slip at 3000 rpm... I cant wait to change them...

·
Registered
44 Posts
bad contgo tyres

indian cbrs are equipped with contigo tyres, and i have completed 14000 kilometers still tyres looks like new ,with these tyres i have never imagined to go fast on curves , though pirreli diablo rosso 2 isnnt availabe herein india now i have aquired acetone, transmission fluid, turpentine, will mix and make tyre softner , will test it on another tyre and see the results

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
indian cbrs are equipped with contigo tyres, and i have completed 14000 kilometers still tyres looks like new ,with these tyres i have never imagined to go fast on curves , though pirreli diablo rosso 2 isnnt availabe herein india now i have aquired acetone, transmission fluid, turpentine, will mix and make tyre softner , will test it on another tyre and see the results
I'm not sure thats a good idea. You might damage your tyre that way. But I have to say that I've never heard of someone softening their tyre before so I just might be uninformed on that matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts