Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of observations to keep in mind, something to think about both for new riders and for the more experienced.

1) A good time to be reminded, as we head into sunnier weather (yes, even in the Puget Sound area!), that your dark face shield that is so useful in the sunshine will turn a freeway tunnel into an abandoned coal mine so far as the light goes. Was riding yesterday (northbound 405 to westbound 90 for you locals) with a curve challenging enough already - left curve, during deceleration, downhill, merging traffic - and all of a sudden the lights go out as I hit the tunnel.

Rule One of motorcycle riding kicked in - don't panic! (Well, OK, Rule Two. Rule One is to make sure and hit the bathroom BEFORE putting on your riding pants). Kept my curve, caught the sight of the dim walls in my peripheral vision and just held the curve. Next time I'll pop the shield up an inch to be able to see a bit out the bottom.

FYI - Bell Vortex helmet, so it can accept the Transitions photochromatic face shield. Pricey, but I can use one shield for any time of day or night, any weather condition. Really like it.

2) Those people that tell you to stay out of someone's blind spot and always expect others to do the most reckless thing you can imagine? Smart folks! The lane next to me slowing a bit, I note that I'm in the blind spot of the silver Lexus, 20ish year old male behind the wheel. I assumed the worst when I saw that :) Speed up or slow down? Decided to slow gently because of traffic ahead, and sure enough as I'm easing back he jerks into my lane, no signal, just missed my front wheel. He caught my headlight in his mirror, and THEN did a panic-glance over his shoulder.

On a brighter note, I saw that he was MUCH more cautious in his driving after that!

In diving, we often read over accident reports or talk about "near miss" issues, so that everyone can learn from them and think about how to avoid or handle them in the future. Any thought to keeping a "Holy #*$& !" thread going, for people to put in accidents or near-miss issues, so that we can benefit from the same opportunity to discuss and think about avoidance or management of them if we find ourselves in the same situation?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Bainbridge! Ever eat at the Streamliner Diner? I was in Seattle a couple of years ago and we had an AWESOME breakfast at that place. Oh, and good safety observations.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you believe - I live a few blocks from there and I've never eaten there! Too many out of towners :) the crowd pours out onto the sidewalk during the spring and summer.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Just a couple of observations to keep in mind, something to think about both for new riders and for the more experienced.

1) A good time to be reminded, as we head into sunnier weather (yes, even in the Puget Sound area!), that your dark face shield that is so useful in the sunshine will turn a freeway tunnel into an abandoned coal mine so far as the light goes. Was riding yesterday (northbound 405 to westbound 90 for you locals) with a curve challenging enough already - left curve, during deceleration, downhill, merging traffic - and all of a sudden the lights go out as I hit the tunnel.

Rule One of motorcycle riding kicked in - don't panic! (Well, OK, Rule Two. Rule One is to make sure and hit the bathroom BEFORE putting on your riding pants). Kept my curve, caught the sight of the dim walls in my peripheral vision and just held the curve. Next time I'll pop the shield up an inch to be able to see a bit out the bottom.

FYI - Bell Vortex helmet, so it can accept the Transitions photochromatic face shield. Pricey, but I can use one shield for any time of day or night, any weather condition. Really like it.

2) Those people that tell you to stay out of someone's blind spot and always expect others to do the most reckless thing you can imagine? Smart folks! The lane next to me slowing a bit, I note that I'm in the blind spot of the silver Lexus, 20ish year old male behind the wheel. I assumed the worst when I saw that :) Speed up or slow down? Decided to slow gently because of traffic ahead, and sure enough as I'm easing back he jerks into my lane, no signal, just missed my front wheel. He caught my headlight in his mirror, and THEN did a panic-glance over his shoulder.

On a brighter note, I saw that he was MUCH more cautious in his driving after that!

In diving, we often read over accident reports or talk about "near miss" issues, so that everyone can learn from them and think about how to avoid or handle them in the future. Any thought to keeping a "Holy #*$& !" thread going, for people to put in accidents or near-miss issues, so that we can benefit from the same opportunity to discuss and think about avoidance or management of them if we find ourselves in the same situation?
It's a jungle out there, man... especially the metropolitan freeways. They scare the sh*t out of me. I'd rather take the long way to get were I'm going.

Glad to hear that you survived those close calls!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow, those were a couple of close ones!

Coming from someone who has had the transition lenses in glasses they are NOWHERE near like they show on the tv where they change instantly! They take a couple minutes to change which is great for day to night riding because the sun doesn't go out like a light switch but for your tunnel experience they'd be just as bad as your tinted shield. Just clearing that up for you before you go spend a ton of money on one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Absolutely correct on the "non-instant" shading change. Wonderfully flexible to have it in place it's not like the commercials!

I should clear up some possible confusion - I already own the Transition shield. It's terrific but while it's still "Transitioning" you have the same drawbacks as other face shields. Too dark when you first hit a dimmer environment, not dark enough if you suddenly hit sunshine.

I have a Scorpion helmet with an integrated sun visor but I have to use my left hand to activate it, and that helmet is markedly heavier than my Bell, in part I think because of the extra hardware for the visor.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
can you believe - I live a few blocks from there and I've never eaten there! Too many out of towners :) the crowd pours out onto the sidewalk during the spring and summer.

Glad you enjoyed your visit!
Now, maybe there's a different chef/owner there now, but when we were there, he was doing all sorts of interesting variations on traditional breakfast. Check it out sometime on a weekday and before the ferry comes across. We rented a kayak when were were there and had a great time paddling around your island (it was mid-september and mid-week and there was no one around). And we love Seattle, too. Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but food is close second (ok maybe third) to riding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you enjoyed your visit! They now have a well-received dinner menu.

And about the importance of food? My wife - a chef - agrees!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
OK...so...I need to talk to your wife the next time we're going to Seattle. Need to get the scoop on the cool, non-touristy, places to get good grub. She probably has about 2 years to prepare the list. LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
I thought transitions worked on UV exposure -- shouldn't a good visor be blocking that?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
that your dark face shield that is so useful in the sunshine will turn a freeway tunnel into an abandoned coal mine so far as the light goes.
The new helmets with an integral, sliding, "top gun" sun visor are a big step forward in safety. It won't be too long before it will be hard to buy a helmet without one. And a fog free insert on the clear lens.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah my wife's helmet has one of the topgun style slider shades and I LOVE it and am very envious of her helmet. LOL The next helmet I get will definitely have one because I'm sick of having to pack both shields when I go to work and swap them over for my ride home at night.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Mt HJC IS-16 has the internal sun visor..I love it..its light smoke and some people complain not dark enough but riding west in the evening..i find its good enough for me..they do make a replacement thats slightly darker i saw

If i know im just gonna be out then back before dark on my days off..ill put on my mirrored visor..not many tunnels around here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts