Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of fuel does the manual say it has to run, regular or premium?

Most of my Honda's have had high compression engines over the years but just required regular.

New to forum, looks like this bike is going to be a winner!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This bike is meant to be sold in places like India and Thailand, so it might be quite forgiving with its fuel requirements. Our regular is 91 RON for example, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
imma using the regular here in malaysia. 95.
we have 3 grades here.
RON100 (shell vpower only).
RON97 (price floats as per market, currenlty at RM2.90/L.
RON95 (fixed at RM1.90/L)

·
Registered
34 Posts
So the American manual is OK with 86, but the Malaysian one wants at least 91? Hmm... Doesn't make much difference to me because 91 is the lowest we can get anyway, but it is kind of interesting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run mine on 98 octane and today Ifilled up and it took 8.5 litres and I had done 262.1 klms. Mainly around town riding in a town of 40000 people so there is not a lot of stopping and speeds of up to only 80 kph. It got 30.8 klm per litre or 85 miles per gallon.(imperial gallon not us gallon) 1 Imperial gallon equals 4.546 Litres

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
@ Naim - well done with the photos from the owners manual. Up to 10% ethanol seems OK, but I sense some caution about methanol.

@ Ferrix - the Malaysian model is probably set for 91 octane. However as the CBR250R is intended to be sold around the world, in different markets it will have different settings.

It used to be that lower compression ratios were used for lower octane. Timing settings were different too.. My first car was a Morris Oxford with the low 7.5:1 compression ratio and could use standard petrol, which at the time in NZ was 79 octane, as I recall. The standard engine in the UK, where higher octane petrol was available, was 8.5:1.

Now it is all done with the electronics.

@ basil - From what I have read; there is no advantage using higher octane petrol than specified; it is a waste of money.

Using lower than specified octane will result in decreased performance, and increased chance of engine knock, or "pinking". If you take it easy you should have no problems, but it is best to use the recommended octane if you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the American manual is OK with 86, but the Malaysian one wants at least 91? Hmm... Doesn't make much difference to me because 91 is the lowest we can get anyway, but it is kind of interesting.
I believe 91 RON is equal to 87AKI used in the US.

·
Registered
129 Posts
in Indonesia, the lowest is 88 RON and it's fine to be used in this bike. but i usually used the 92 Ron, just to be safe. although its been making me headache cause of the price that just going up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
in Indonesia, the minimum type is 88 RON and the dealer said it's okay to be used in this bike. but i use the 92 RON, just to be safe. my only concern is the price that keep going up.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I believe 91 RON is equal to 87AKI used in the US.
It is sometimes said that the USA and the UK are two countries separated by a common language. Different spellings, different standards / units (for example: US & Imperial gallons), different meanings attached to word, different idea of humour; they all sometimes create confusion!

Coming from Down-Under I am mid-Alantic, and somewhat "bi-lingual". RC927 has come up with another difference that I was not aware of till now.

Sorry if I seem to be a bit cryptic. More simply, we do have to be aware of, and live with a number of variations, which have arisen for whatever reason.

·
Registered
129 Posts
in IDN, the lowest is 88 RON and according to my manual it's acceptable for cbr as long there's no lead in it because its engine is different from the thailand production. but, just to be safe, i uses 92 RON and it reach as advertised (77 mpg) and i use various speed from 30 kph to 130 kph (18 mph - 80 mph). i hope this info could be of a help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The differences comes from how the octane level is measured.
In most parts of the world it is RON (research octane number) this is usually a higher number.
There is also MON (motor octane number) this is a lower number then the RON for the same fuel.
In th US we use PON (pump octane number) also known as AKI, this is an average of the RON and MON.
Our fuel is not labeled with the RON.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All you guys are awesome! Thank you for all of the reply's, now I just need to get down to the dealer and buy one before they are all gone.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I always use Shell V-Power because it really does burn cleaner and create less carbon build up. It's not just a claim, I work full time at a mechanic shop and cars running higher octane are always cleaner inside.

·
Registered
40 Posts
same here, a minimum of 98 RON for my Bike and car.. If I can find V POWER RACE ( 101 RON) I run that, not many service stations in Oz sell it though :(

1 - 20 of 63 Posts