Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temparatures right now where I live (Chennai, India) are max - 30 C and Min 20 C.

This morning when I took my bike out for a ride after about 1 Km I had to get into a turn and found that the rear tyre was sliding. It was obvious at every downshift. I first thought it must be because the tyres are cold. I took it easy and came back home after riding for about 15 Kms.

When i touched the tyres when I was back home they were just slightly warm, I was expecting them to be quite warm and they were not.

While I did not want to take the risk of leaning into corner I did slowly increased the speed into every successive corner it did not slide again but I was not wanting to try out at higher speeds.

I tested the bolts and for shake in the rear wheel and found nothing. Everything seems normal.

The original tyres that came with the bike are CONTI GO, street tyres, the tyres are fitted correctly with the arrows pointing in the right direction.

At 20 C do I really have to wait till the tyres get warm?
How warm do the tyres really get?
Is there any check I can perform to know if everything is alright?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Dont go over 30psi. What is your pressure at?
The bikes in India do not have the same good tyres as the Thai bikes.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
On the cbr250r.org site..(When i used to actually go there an read posts) I can remember a thread about this...an engineer who actually worked where these tires were manufactured urged people to change them,he said he did a burnout on his cbr to burn the top layer off the rear tire because the compound in the top layer of the tire was way too hard and would be slick in corners even when warmed up, but the compound in next layer down was softer and would stick like a good tire was supposed to...

True or not?..i dont know..I know I just remember seeing that back in may or june sometime this past summer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My tyre pressures are 29 PSi in the front and 30 in the rear. I weigh about 110 Kgs and the rear suspension is as original I have not made any changes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
On the cbr250r.org site..(When i used to actually go there an read posts) I can remember a thread about this...an engineer who actually worked where these tires were manufactured urged people to change them,he said he did a burnout on his cbr to burn the top layer off the rear tire because the compound in the top layer of the tire was way too hard and would be slick in corners even when warmed up, but the compound in next layer down was softer and would stick like a good tire was supposed to...

True or not?..i dont know..I know I just remember seeing that back in may or june sometime this past summer.

Every new tire is slippery from NEW, the stuff they use to get it to release from the mold is slippery.

All new tyres need to be ridden very carefully when new, and right to the edge as much as possible to get the surface of the tyre nice.

Just google scrubbing tires in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every new tire is slippery from NEW, the stuff they use to get it to release from the mold is slippery.

All new tyres need to be ridden very carefully when new, and right to the edge as much as possible to get the surface of the tyre nice.

Just google scrubbing tires in.

I have done more than 500 miles or 800 kms on my bike and tyre.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Since the Track day my tyres work so much better, they feather up like orange peel now with hard use.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The temparatures right now where I live (Chennai, India) are max - 30 C and Min 20 C.

This morning when I took my bike out for a ride after about 1 Km I had to get into a turn and found that the rear tyre was sliding. It was obvious at every downshift.
Were you downshifting as you leaned into the corner, and were you touching the brakes too? That's one way to get a bit of skid.

But perhaps the stock tyres in India aren't that great?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The IRC tires that came with my bike a very sticky for a high mileage OEM street tire. Ride carefully until you decide if you can get by with the Contis or if you might want to change for something better. Low mile used IRC tires that were taken off by street racers are cheap, $80 per set plus shipping, if you can find a way to buy a set of those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts