Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I've read these forums before buying a bike.Thank you Everyone I now own a CBR ! I want to change the tyres guys, but I'm very confused as to which tyre I must buy. I've heard Pirelli is not that good, Michellin -need reviews. MRF .. confused reviews. Ceat - no review at all.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hi Richie and welcome to the forum.
It depends on what you want to do with your bike. If you want to ride it aggressively you need sticky rubber for extra grip. The downside is that such tires wear fast.
If you don't care for the last ounce of grip but want tires that last very long I can recommend the Michelin Pilot Street Radials. Have had them now for over 20.000km and there is still plenty of life in them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hey Richie, welcome to the forum!
I just replaced the stock IRC tires on my 2011 CBR250R with Michelin Pilot Street (bias-ply) tires and I'm very happy with their performance so far. I opted for bias-ply over radials because my riding style is pretty conservative and I don't push the limits, so the considerable extra expense of Michelin's radial tires just didn't make sense for me. The Michelins are certainly a step up from the IRCs that I had, but nothing earth-shattering. Just a good all-purpose replacement for my stock tires that were surprisingly cheap compared to their radials.
I also used the opportunity to swap the tires out myself for the first time instead of bringing them to the dealership. A process that was a lot easier than I thought it would be thanks to one of Ari Henning's excellent "Motorcyclist" videos.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
so the considerable extra expense of Michelin's radial tires just didn't make sense for me.
That's odd. IIRC they were only about 5€ (6 USD) apart (but my memory might be failing me here but I believe they were almost identically priced). That's why I went with the (allegedly) longer lasting radials.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That's odd. IIRC they were only about 5€ (6 USD) apart (but my memory might be failing me here but I believe they were almost identically priced). That's why I went with the (allegedly) longer lasting radials.
I purchased them from J & P Cycles (formerly Motorcycle Superstore). The bias-ply version was on sale at the time while the radial version wasn't (no doubt because the radials sell well enough not to need incentives like sales).
I saved close to $100 on the pair compared to the radials. .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am actually waiting for my new tyres to arrive. The rear is 180/55 ZR17 does anyone think that I will have a problem fitting to O.E.M. rim ????

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Would be highly illegal in my country. You're aware the OEM tyre size is 140/70?
Can't imagine that that will work with the original rim but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't think you'll squeeze the beads close enough together to get a 180 tyre on there... I think you'll find the factory rim is way too narrow to fit a tyre that width.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That 180/55-17 tyre needs 5.5” rear wheel to work properly.

Even if you somehow forced that tyre onto stock rim, profile will be so pinched, tread will be more rounded than normal. Width of tyre will actually be only about 160mm. Meaning you won’t be able to roll onto edge of tyre anyway. You’ll leave about 20mm+ of chicken-strips on each side. You’ll end up using only 140mm of 180mm tread-width.

Absolutely zero benefits, and actually worse than stock. Bike will be slower due to extra weight. And handling will be worse than stock, bike will resist turn-in on cornering. Will feel like steering bike that’s 100kg heavier!

Ninja 400 racers have right idea. Kawasaki messed up and specified 150/60–17 tyre, but didn’t increase rim-width and kept 300’s 17x4” wheel size. Effect was slow and lazy handling. Racers went back down to 300’s 140/70-17 size and handling improved tremendously and laptimes got faster!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts