Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Become a better rider.

Do a rider training course, some trackdays, gain experience.

You'll enjoy it far more than trying to extract more HP.. cheaper too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Disappointed by the general attitude here.

You have a problem with others discussing possible modifications on a bike? Seriously? You don't own the place. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read anything here. Nor is anyone forcing you to spend money on your CBR.

Consider this my last post on the forum, since the owner of the forum doesn't seem to care about this stupidity. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

You have a problem with others discussing possible modifications on a bike? Seriously? You don't own the place. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read anything here. Nor is anyone forcing you to spend money on your CBR.

Consider this my last post on the forum, since the owner of the forum doesn't seem to care about this stupidity. Have fun.
These forums are always full of trolls and people that get butthurt about stuff. This is why i tend to shy away from them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow, don't get your panties in a bunch. There is a lot of truth to the original post. I don't see aufitt saying anything about not modifying your bikes. He just spoke the truth when he said becoming a better rider makes far more difference than say.....a new pipe. With 222 posts, I would hardly call him a troll.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i plan on doing an intermediate riders course next summer some time. i expect it to be fun and possibly save my life :)
good OP aufitt.
should people buy parts and increase the HP of the bike that they love and ride all the time? totally up to them.
but i think everyone should take refresher courses every few years or so. if nothing else it gives you a chance to play around with some cones and there is an instructor to watch you and give you tips on ways you can improve.
i have the same opinion of cars BTW, but barely anyone takes courses for those.

·
1,305 Posts
i actually just completed my MSF course about 2 hours ago ( with a pass of course).

·
Registered
999 Posts
Become a better rider.

Do a rider training course, some trackdays, gain experience.

You'll enjoy it far more than trying to extract more HP.. cheaper too.
I can't argue that. It's an accurate statement. On a twisty road, skill trumps horse power more often than not.

But.. that's a 'rider mod' not a bike mod :D

I'm in a different boat entirely. I think suspension makes a better performing bike.
On a twisty road, skill plus an exceedingly good handling bike trumps horse power every time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It does make sense to improve riding skills, but when your buddys are riding 600's or 1000's i don't care who you are they will pull on you. It is nice to have a little more umph coming out of corners.
yep, but you expect that. You can still make a good showing with a smaller bike.

I went on a 'green lane run' (their name) with the brit club, there was about 75 bikes, and a guy named Don ran the event. Don was on a matchless 350 single with what looked like dried up trials knobbies. He got off his bike and ushered everyone throught the turn, then rode past nearly everyone (except the fastest bikes), and ushered the direction of the next turn. There were modern rice burners, and all kinds of british bikes. I worked with a guy that knew Don, and he just said 'well he's been riding for about 55 years.' You had to be there. He would get it up to speed and somehow kept it there.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
yep, but you expect that. You can still make a good showing with a smaller bike.

Believe it or not 9 times out of 10 i'm infront of all my buddys that ride bigger bikes. But I have also been riding longer than most of them. I've spent more time racing on the dirt than the street but it's a pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

WOW!.. just wow , lol.

Nobody forced you to read this common sense.

Bye.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree, but I do think that we need a sub-forum specifically devoted to rider skills, as the vast majority of CBR250r riders here seem to be newbies (myself included, though with the help of a BRC this past weekend, lots of seat time, and various reputable books (like Twist of the Wrist I and II) I am working on changing that).

Having the fastest bike in the world won't help you run a faster lap if you charge into a corner, slam on brakes and pull the clutch in, then coast through the turn, and slam on the gas again at the end of the turn, or chop the gas on and off throughout the turn.

But with a few basic modifications, someone who knows how to ride well can lay down much faster lap-times. And the value of working a bike you are comfortable with to being faster, cannot be understated as well. Jump to a 600cc 4cyl (or hopefully in my case a 675cc triple) and there will be a learning curve.

But as you say, the biggest improvement in lap times for most riders (inexperienced) will come from learning how to ride.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am glad in some way of all this arguing.
It results that the CBR is a proper motorcycle, good for riding it in a track with profit in terms of fun and performances, and not only a fun-cheap-high mileage city commuter for newbies and former rr bikers (with no offence, since I definitely am a newbie).

I am not interested in reading how to extract 5 hp from the engine.
So I am not reading that topic: doesn't bother me at all to click "mark as read" on the forum tools whenever I pass.

I am interested in "improving skills oriented" topics, pictures and gears discussions, travels and touring and such things.

Probably cyanide got someway frustrated about the post.
I think he will reconsider that shortly. I hope so.
Here are many good thing to read and to share, and quite everything bike-related is a matter of personal taste.

Shall we introduce mandatory helmet to surf the forums safer? :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personal taste yes, and individual circumstance.

Learning to "ride properly" or "ride better" is not necessarily about seeing how fast you can take corners. You will not find street bikes here sans chicken strips with owners who are able to walk. The environment simply does not permit fast "canyon carving." Most of the roads are in bad shape with breaks in pavement, potholes (new every day), uncovered manholes (covers stolen for the value of the metal), gas/oil/coolant spills, carts and pedestrians in the most unexpected locations, parked cars in the middle of the lane (I kid you not), and myriad other "quaint" little Central American hazards too lengthy to go into. And 7 months of the year it rains every day.

There are basically no rules for motos here (all the transit police ride!), so in that sense it is a biker´s nirvana. The flip side is that it´s an incredibly unforgiving environment with more than its fair share of bad car/truck drivers, drunks etc. Survival skills are 99.5% the focus. The ability to sweep past another bike in a corner does not count for squat.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It does make sense to improve riding skills, but when your buddys are riding 600's or 1000's i don't care who you are they will pull on you. It is nice to have a little more umph coming out of corners.
To the OP's point - improved rider skill helps everywhere, specifically where HP doesn't. Brake late, corner faster, and roll on sooner - that is the beauty of the light razor-blade bikes like the CBR.

Bill

·
Registered
455 Posts
I want both.. better skills and more hp.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts