Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently purchased a 2012 CBR250R (non-abs) and have been going through some maintenance. The fluids were no problem, but I'm stumped on new rear brake pads. I pushed the piston in (careful about brake fluid level) and can get that one in no problem with plenty of clearance. The issue I have is fitting the other. There is not enough room for the fresh pad to clear the rotor and be seated within the caliper. I will attach pictures, one showing clearance, and the other with the pad next to it.

Anybody have any ideas? The old pads are worn, but still have some life (not much). Thanks!

I even tried to force the pad in there, but even if it could, the rotor would just seize the back wheel due to the tight fit. Obviously a bad idea :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
1. did you remove caliper from bracket and grease sliding pins?

2 what is this thing (outlined in red) that you have jammed between pad and rotor?

3. do you have manual? Get one and follow procedure in it. You're skipping a lot of steps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! I did not remove the caliper (black housing) from the bracket (I'm guessing that is the grey part that connects to the inside swing-arm grooves). I did remove and grease the sliding pin but had it temporary in to hold that one pad in place.

The black box is just showing the far back wall of inside. There isn't anything obstructing within, I guess that is dust thats collected. I should probably clean that. :oops:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm trying to work out why you have such a large gap between the inner pad (closest to the piston) and the rotor? Even in the photo showing trying to line up the pad on the other side, it looks like a massive gap. Have you tried sliding the caliper across? I've changed mine recently (didn't use ebc) and didn't have any issues. The piston was a bit of a pain to reset the piston, but didn't have any issues getting the new pads in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't have any issue with the Piston, but I'm not sure what you mean by sliding the caliper across. It doesn't want to move left and right to close that large gap you see. It feels like you're right though, the gap is too large on the right side.

There are two screws that hold the caliper on with little rubber boots. Will tightening those set the caliper further towards the wheel?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Opposite. I'm talking about "caliper holding pins" and you're talking about the "pad holder pins".

You need to remove two big bolts and remove caliper from bracket. Those bolts go through a sliding pin that allows caliper to move laterally to squeeze both pads evenly and to account for wear. Need to remove those pins and grease them with high-temp silicone grease such as Sil-Glyde. DO NOT use regular mineral grease. That's why they're stuck now, wrong grease that burnt up and turned into glue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks DannoXYZ, that was the problem! Those big slider bolt/pins had got gummed up. I removed, cleaned, regreased with appropriate stuff and it worked no problem! Thank you!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts