Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about this issue on here somewhere before but can't find it. I was very lucky today. As I slowed and prepared to turn across oncoming traffic into my workplace I dropped down into 1st but was still rolling so I picked my gap and went to turn. As I'd almost committed myself I realised the engine wasn't running. Luckily I stopped before I was completely in front of the oncoming car. I hit the starter and made my turn behind him. The turn was on a slight incline. If it wasn't I would have rolled more easily in front of the car and no doubt been hit. I've ridden a 1000 miles on the bike and did nothing different to any other time. The problem is that the engine is so quiet at idle that its difficult to hear/feel in traffic especially if you are still moving. Is unforced stalling a common issue for others?

CBRNewbie

·
Registered
400 Posts
not sure,ive only stalled twice the same day i got the bike,other then that i cant remember stalling,

i like how the bike has a feature that doesnt allow the bike to turn on if the bike is in gear with the kickstand down,and also turns off if the kickstand is put down while in gear.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It is a single cylinder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stalling

Just to be clear. I didn't stall the bike pulling away. It stalled as I went down the gears so that when I went to continue it wasn't running.

·
Registered
681 Posts
happened to me tonite on a major hyway at a red light..cars in front pulled away..i hit throttle...nothing? car was coming up behind me...i hit the starter and goosed it wide open in first..scared the crap outa me
****, that's scary

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the same problem. Stalling while downshifting and braking. Happens once in a while and usually within a few minutes of starting the bike. I have had it stall shifting from 6th gear down and from 2nd gear down. I have even had it stall only braking and not changing gears. Thought it was user error at first, but it still does it and I have over 2,000 miles on the bike. Brought it up at the 600 mile service and the shop tested everything including idle RPM and said everything was fine.

Are other people dealing with random stalls? I have gotten uslet to easing out the clutch and giving a little gas to crank her back up without stopping the bike but that is a pain in the ass. I hate monitoring my RPMs when slowing down each time to monitor for a stall.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are other people dealing with random stalls?
It does not happen when you do engine braking on every gear when downshifting and slowing down, in other words now I never ride with engaged clutch even when braking. Once i got used to do it - stalls never happen anymore. So maybe for me it was not exactly because after ~200 miles bike become better, but rather my skills become better.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
decel fuel shut off

It sounds like something to do with the decel fuel shut off. Any time there is engine braking with a closed throrttle and above a certain rpm, the computer sets the injection duration to zero to save gas until the revs come down to a certain threshold and idle speed is resumed. Apparently, sometimes it is not comming in soon enough to prevent a stall. I generally don't blip the throttle to use engine braking in first as it is dangerous if the rear tire skids so this has never happended to me. But this is something Honda needs to be told about so they can possibly re write the programming in the computer in future production to keep this from happening. In the meanwhile I would recommend not using engine braking in first.

·
Registered
260 Posts
mine stalls once or twice after startup, but have never had it stall while riding, only on initial warm up during the injection...warm up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In the meanwhile I would recommend not using engine braking in first.
That's totally oppose to my experience. If I use a lot of engine braking - no stalls at all. When I was braking with brakes only, clutch in, releasing throttle at the same time - that's how it was stalling .

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Never

That's totally oppose to my experience. If I use a lot of engine braking - no stalls at all. When I was braking with brakes only, clutch in, releasing throttle at the same time - that's how it was stalling .
My bike has never stalled with only clutch in braking. In fact I do a lot of clutch in coasting in town and on the highway as part of my hypermiling riding style with never a stall.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Except for that one time..mine hasnt stalled again...i usually coast to a stop with the clutch in the last 15mph to stop....i have 450 miles on mine now...had under about 200 when it stalled..maybe there is something to that theory

·
Registered
39 Posts
I stalled mine 3 times today while holding the clutch all the way in and down shifting. This is bs and shouldn't be happening. It only happens in the warm up period, actually I can reproduce this every time in the first 5 minutes of riding. I've gotten used to just pressing the starter button when down shifting. Honda better get their act together and do a recall and make the injection keep it at a higher rpm.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts