Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my CBR250R a month now, and Honda has hit a home run. I've had 7 bikes in the last 42 years and this one is by far the best. So, last week some idiot in a cargo van ran a stop sign right in front of me. If I had been a 4 wheel vehicle the airbags would have deployed in the bad wreck. I had no where to go and just braked hard hoping to survive. The bike stood up on the front wheel, a first for me and I did not enjoy it. To my amazement I just cleared him, released the brakes and plopped down hard, still upright and in control, with a large loss of speed. As far as I am concerned, the bike saved my life. I saw this comming and was slowing, but the van's sudden acceleration left me no escape. Now I guess I'll just slow more at intersections and try to have a plan C as well as a B. Ride safe everyone, and watch out for blind drunks.

·
745 Posts
Good reflexes and good job! Just this morning, a woman in a minivan merged over on me - luckily I had a center turn lane to go into. Horn and all, she kept coming - her cell phone call was obviously more important than my life.

When you ride, assume every other vehicle on the road is driven by an idiot. Think contingency - if he runs that stop sign, where am i going? If he turns left in front of me, brakes, evasive action, or both? After awhile, you'll develop a feel for idiots and get pretty good at predicting their behavior. You'll find yourself covering the brakes and the horn when the hair on your neck starts standing up...

Uplanned stoppies are no fun (I don't do "planned" stoppies), but the fact is that you kept the bike straight, had the maximum force on the brakes, and didn't panic yourself into a endo. Good Job!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Great job Carl. Glad to hear you are safe! I used to have the problem of cagers pulling out in front of me until I got an Axis Yellow Shoei RF-1100 helmet. They see me coming now! :D But I still expect the worst and plan for it. That's the only way to become an old biker. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good job on keeping your composure through that experience! Glad to hear you made it out safely! Unfortunately the ratio for idiot drivers to safe drivers is more on the idiot side! Personally, I would've given that other driver my two cents and maybe two fingers....the middles!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am an old biker

And I did respond with a finger and some harsh language. My better judgement kept me from running him down and demanding an apology. You don't wrestle with pigs, you get muddy and bloody, and the pig likes it. The maddening thing is I expected it and still got cut off with no time. The bike's brakes are much more powerfull than I thought. Unpleasant as a stoppie is, it sure shed some energy. And I am still amazed at my reflex speed. Muscle memory I think. Safe trip, everyone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not ABS

Sorry, should have added this. I think the jury is still out on anti-lock, although I can think of at least 2 get offs in the 70's that might have gone better without the rear wheel locking up. Since then, I have lost the need for unrational speed and tires and brakes have gotten a whole lot better. That and since I got one of the first CBR 250 R's in the state and the ABS one was spoken for, my choice was made. I am well pleased with this bike, there is nothing not to like. And 75+ mpg is really sweet. Keep your eyes on the road, and yes, the idiots outnumber us. A lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts