Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so, by now a lot of you have seen my posts about experiencing the stalling on start and stalling while riding. As of right now, my bike has been at the dealer for the third time for about two weeks now. Talked to the head mechanic twice this week and here is the update thus far...

checked the torque on the head
checked the plug cap for leakage

second call..checking valves(which they were already checked on first service, but Honda wanted them checked again)and now replacing plug cap.

According to my mechanic, Honda has pretty much confirmed(to him at least) that most 2012s have one or both stalling issues and a lot of the 2011s have them as well. At least these are the owners actually reporting them to their dealers. So many reports in fact, that American Honda has designated an entire team on dealing with this issue.

My mechanic told me that so far Honda is considering this a "characteristic" of the CBR250R. Now I have heard of buzzy mirrors, hard seat, soft suspension..and other characteristics of some models, but have never heard of a stalling issue a run of the mill thing. It's like saying..."yea, the CBR250s are pretty good bikes, they may stall now and then and might stall while riding, but it's just how they are." That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

So yea, that is my update for right now. My bike is supposed to be "ready" early next week. Honestly, I think Honda is just grasping at straws at this point. So far nothing has worked so..not sure if a plug cap replacement is going to do anything. So I guess next week it will either start and stay running and run without dying out or I will be looking at a different model.

So if you guys care..stay tuned?

On a side note, I was contacted on my Youtube channel by someone claiming to be from Honda, asking me if I would consider taking down my stalling videos. I replied with.."Well, fix my bike or give me my money back and I might." Didn't hear anything back.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I do care, just hope they figure out whats the problem....

Suck they didnt even give u a bike to ride while you wait yours?

I wouldnt take it down until you know its fixed 100% maybe not even then.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do care, just hope they figure out whats the problem....

Suck they didnt even give u a bike to ride while you wait yours?

I wouldnt take it down until you know its fixed 100% maybe not even then.
Funny thing, the mechanic told me I could come get my bike and ride it for the weekend if I wanted and then bring it back on Monday. I didn't even know what to say to this..was he hoping I would forget about bringing it back in? In all honesty though, the mechanic has been doing all he can do and maybe he was/is sick of dealing with it.

I don't know if I will take my vids down, I have 7 different stalling vids that are getting a lot of views..which is good. People need to see these and be aware of these characteristics..err, I mean issues.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wouldnt take them down.Even if they fixed it.Think if they find the problem they'll issue a recall?Mine stalls on cold starts unless I crack the throttle while hitting the starter.Not a big deal but last weekend it stalled while riding.Not a good feeling.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Mine stalls on cold starts unless I crack the throttle while hitting the starter.Not a big deal but last weekend it stalled while riding.Not a good feeling.
Mine did stall on cold starts occasionally when it was brand new. The engine would catch instantly but then immediately sputter and cut off. It didn't do it every time but to prevent the chance of it happening at all, I got in the habit of cracking the throttle on cold starts. I tend to hold it open for 2-3 seconds...you can hear a slight roughness at first. Once it smooths out, I let go and it then runs like a Swiss watch. Once I get the bike back from 700 mile service, I will start it cold with no throttle and see if the issue persists.

Thankfully, I have never experienced a hot stall while riding.

Stalling in any kind of engine is typically the result of an incorrect air/fuel mixture ratio.

It seems to me that it might be a fuel pressure issue. If the fuel pressure is too high or too low, the actual fuel delivery would differ slightly from the pre-programmed fuel curve. For example, I noticed on cold starts that the fuel pump kicks on momentarily, then shuts off. When it shuts off, perhaps it would be best to kick the starter immediately, because if you wait a few seconds some pressure may bleed off.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
checked the torque on the head
checked the plug cap for leakage
Did you help guide your mechanic by mentioning that we think the cause of the stalling is the programming of the decel fuel shut off not resuming injection soon enough to catch the descending rpm when closing the throttle with the clutch in? Or an idle air valve with too low a "rest" position. If he is checking basic mechanical issues like head bolts, he is totally lost. It is nothing like that.
What is a "plug cap" and what does it leak?
Do not take down your videos until Honda issues a recall or gives you satisfactory monetary compensation which would be a complete refund of every penny you have spent plus something extra for your lost time and aggravation.
You should also have a loaner.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good luck, keep us posted. if your bike is under 1 year old you should check into your state "lemon laws". In North Carolina where I live if a new vehicle breaks down 3 times for the same documented reason in the first year of ownership its considered a "lemon" and the manufacturer of the vehicle has to by law replace the "lemon" with a new vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
6,948 Posts
My mechanic told me that so far Honda is considering this a "characteristic" of the CBR250R. Now I have heard of buzzy mirrors, hard seat, soft suspension..and other characteristics of some models, but have never heard of a stalling issue a run of the mill thing. It's like saying..."yea, the CBR250s are pretty good bikes, they may stall now and then and might stall while riding, but it's just how they are." That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.
I agree with you Robert, that is completely absurd. IMO this mechanic is full of it... Honda (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) would never consider this type of problem a "characteristic" of any motorcycle. For him to make this kind of statement is evidence that he is clueless. I can only imagine what other BS statements he has made to you regarding the problem with your bike. I really doubt that much of what he has told you, are things that Honda told him. Certainly not the absurd statements. Honda is a little smarter than that. Have you been in contact with anyone at American Honda Motor Co. directly? If so, what have they said?

On a side note, I was contacted on my Youtube channel by someone claiming to be from Honda, asking me if I would consider taking down my stalling videos. I replied with.."Well, fix my bike or give me my money back and I might." Didn't hear anything back.
Someone claiming to be from Honda is the operative term here. First of all, American Honda would not contact you publicly on your YouTube channel. Needless to say it would not look good for Honda to publicly ask you to take down your videos. They just would not do that. They have your direct contact information, through your warranty registration, and would contact you directly if they had an issue with your videos.

I really hope that when you get your bike back it works the way it is supposed to. I have to agree with sendler though, It doesn't sound like they have been looking at the most likely source of the problem... the fuel injection system.

Good luck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
For the people following this issue closely, please recognize that if you search Google for any '[bike model] stalling' key word, you will get results. Almost every kind of bike has a documented issue of "stalling out" and between mechanical problems like kickstand switches, ECU fueling issues, engine temperature problems to just plain operator error - it is very very hard to make heads or tails of the actual issue. In my opinion - for a bike with the production numbers that the CBR250R has, it really seems that very very few people have this "stalling error".

Like others have said, it doesn't sound like your mechanic knows what he's doing. Shop around for another mechanic or attempt to invoke the lemon law for an unresolved issue with 3 times to the shop.

Here's just a sample of the things you can find on the internet related to other bikes stalling, maybe you can read a few threads about people who have solved their issue and get a few ideas:

ANy F800 experts about as I've broke my F800S - ADVrider

My F800gs STALLS LIKE ITS RUNNING OUT OF GAS! PLEASE HELP!! - ADVrider

Low RPM at stop causing bike to stall - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Stalling issue - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

2008 695 idling low on start and then stalling - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Message Board - Motorcycle USA

My 2011 250R Keeps stalling! - ninjette.org

07 ZX10r bogging/stalling : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum

Like I said, search any bike model for a stalling issue, and you will see results.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine stalls on cold starts unless I crack the throttle while hitting the starter.
I'm on my second CBR and I'd say about 95% of the time my bike will run for about 2-3 seconds after a cold start then cut off. I can't ever remember having it not remain running on the second start attempt and it doesn't really bother me all that much since I'm just letting the bike warm up anyway so I've never put much of any thought into it being an issue before.

Is that a Ruger reference in your screen name?

·
Registered
199 Posts
According to my mechanic, Honda has pretty much confirmed(to him at least) that most 2012s have one or both stalling issues and a lot of the 2011s have them as well.
Yeah, not believing this for a second. Most 2012s, and a lot of 2011s... seems like it would be newsworthy, or at least mentioned somewhere notable. Not something some random mechanic knows before everyone else, nevermind the fact that the majority of posters are NOT having the issue.

I hope you get your bike fixed, or a full refund. There is obviously something wrong with it. But if most bikes had that problem, we'd be hearing a lot more about it, both from people posting complaints, and Honda getting slammed in the media for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my bike for 2000miles and had one stall on a cold start, nothing while it's running, downshifting, coasting, etc. That one stall didn't alarm me and hasn't happened since. There is a diagnostic port for a Honda scan tool, can these techs not get live data of a stall event, similar to a car?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have spoken with the rep who has been in constant contact with the mechanic. When the rep and I last spoke(this was before he talked with the mechanic two weeks ago)all he told me was that some parts were being ordered from overseas, which at this point seems like a lie, but he told me that parts would come in and they would proceed to check things out. One thing I will hold the rep to though..he said.."We will fix this".

The mechanic doesn't even think it's a fuel issue and from the sound of it, neither does Honda.

For the one poster...here is my youtube link if you still want it.

grimsdyke's channel - YouTube

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you help guide your mechanic by mentioning that we think the cause of the stalling is the programming of the decel fuel shut off not resuming injection soon enough to catch the descending rpm when closing the throttle with the clutch in? Or an idle air valve with too low a "rest" position. If he is checking basic mechanical issues like head bolts, he is totally lost. It is nothing like that.
What is a "plug cap" and what does it leak?
Do not take down your videos until Honda issues a recall or gives you satisfactory monetary compensation which would be a complete refund of every penny you have spent plus something extra for your lost time and aggravation.
You should also have a loaner.

The spark plug cap. I think Honda was concerned about water getting in. I don't know..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine used to stall on the first start. I am not sure why but it does not do it anymore. I thought of some reasons maybe that has help?

1) I turn on the ignition and wait about 10 seconds before I thumb start it.
2) I travel 75 mph for 120 miles a day to and back from work
3) My first service solved it
4) for a while I did gun the throttle as soon as I started it

I don't know if any of those fixed it though

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just watched the stalling videos. It looks like on initial start up the rpm's are around what they should be when warmed up - 1400. After it stalls and restarts the cold programming kicks in and runs the rpm's up to 2000.

Maybe this is a temperature sensor malfunction or a ECM malfunction?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine used to stall on start up. The last 3-4 start ups it has idled a little rough then it picked up to 2,000 rpm and kept going. So no stalling. But I did start it and gave it gas to keep it from stalling about twice. I'm now over 800 miles. I plan on changing the oil tomorrow if I can get around to it. Then get the valves checked when I can get around to it. I just hate having to take it in for that, and I know they will probably need to keep it over night for a valve check.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts