Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Chances are that it wouldn't. There are thousands of people posting here and only a handfull have ever seen it happen more than once or twice.
True..maybe they will offer a 2013?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just a little update, I filled up at the meijer gas station instead of marathon, and my bike hasnt stalled once since that fill up. Same octane too....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Cool David..hopefully that will save you the trouble of taking it in and going through my ordeal. Hopefully soon I can get this crap sorted and we can do a ride together before Winter hits.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So I just had an interesting read, according to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, Honda has to legally offer me two options..a refund or a replacement product under the full warranty act. Guess I will be making another phone call, seeing as how the rep never called me back about the message I left Friday. So for those of you that have had multiple attemps to fix your bike..now you know the law so, act upon it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
So its 'The' stalling issue.

How about you disconnect 'the' battery, run 'the' bike thru all gears to 'the' redline all day long and see how it goes.

And make sure 'the' header bolts are tensioned.. there is a sensor right there that i suspect is half the problem.. header bolts should be checked after the 'the' first run or at least at 'the' first service.. they loosen like any other bike.

Failing that.. try 'The' rider training course.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So its 'The' stalling issue.

How about you disconnect 'the' battery, run 'the' bike thru all gears to 'the' redline all day long and see how it goes.

And make sure 'the' header bolts are tensioned.. there is a sensor right there that i suspect is half the problem.. header bolts should be checked after the 'the' first run or at least at 'the' first service.. they loosen like any other bike.

Failing that.. try 'The' rider training course.
Header bolts were checked two weeks ago at the shop. And rider training? This is my 3rd sport bike and 7th machine in total..so not the case there Mr. GP-pro rider

Reactions: david92xj

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
How was it run in?

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
So I just had an interesting read, according to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, Honda has to legally offer me two options..a refund or a replacement product under the full warranty act. Guess I will be making another phone call, seeing as how the rep never called me back about the message I left Friday. So for those of you that have had multiple attemps to fix your bike..now you know the law so, act upon it.
if you really enjoy the bike apart from the stalling issue, get a replacement, otherwise if you get a full refund and you fancy something like a ninja 300, take the refund and get yourself one of those if they are a similar price over in the states which i think they are :)

then that means you've practically had the cbr for free the entire time if you get a full refund :D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
googled for other egs, found plenty, not just this model,
various possibilities, incl ecu as i assume caused my 'cut-out'
experiences, which seem to be related to accel/decel
esp sudden decel, means clutch in/throttle off..
anyway for those interested thought a good eg is
on gtamotorcycles.com [incl refs to this site/issue]
thread; cbr250 engine shuts off randomly when clutch pulled in,
from poster brian p, post #53, page 3of3..

also, one rider [929] solved his similar problem by
hot wiring his side stand cut-off sensor..
various others pointed to other sensors, fall down etc,
some mentioned valve clearance being a possible factor,
esp linked with rapid decel + clutch in, together with
ecu 'stingy' [for fuel saving] initial shot of fuel
after decel.. our member sendler in next to last
post seems to have his finger on the pulse here..

my stalling/cut-out were related to accel/rapid decel
[thus clutch in within that instant] including a steep
hill used daily, which could be coincidence or could
exaggerate the conditions for the ecu responses..

mine also cut out including recently when simply
coasting the last few meters in a curve before
backing into my parking spot,, ie, clutch in,
throttle off [+ on my steepish uphill road]..

one report [vulcan site?] included claims of
two cbr250r buy backs by honda..

consistent advice from various sources is to
report stalling or cut-out to dealers or honda
for the sake of getting it on record,
also to not attempt self adjustment of
throttle/idle which negates warranty..

suggest interested members check
out [or start from] the site/thread/post
mentioned above..

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Dude..believe me, Honda is FULLY aware of everything with my bike. I had a talk with the rep again today, didn't go well..I ended up hanging up on him. Then I called the mechanic and he said the ordered cylinder head came in today, I guess it came from a dealership in Japan, apparently Honda doesn't have any parts for the Ceeber in States.But the gaskets haven't arrived yet so...since the head has arrived, I will wait for the gaskets and give them one more chance.

But you guys are my witness'..if this head replacement doesn't work..don't be alarmed if you hear a loud scream emminating from somewhere.

@shisoshin..can you find the link of the two Honda buy-backs? Would like to read those. So far the only two guys I know that had a buy-back, aren't talking. One who was on here claimed Honda made him sign a disclosure and the other guy..isn't replying. Maybe that's the deal.."here is your money, but don't say anything". HA!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
How was it run in?
Do you mean the whole.."ride it like you stole it" thing? Actually it was both..hard and soft break-in. I usually break-in all my bikes and atv's the same..start easy..ride hard..ride harder..ride easy again and ride the holy hell out of it. I have never had a problem with a bike because lack of or too much riding during break-in. My first sport bike, I babied the hell out of that bike and it ran just as hard at 4000 miles as it did at 100 miles.

But still..Honda has already confirmed the head is out of spec so..that isn't from riding too soft.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
roberthood - sorry cant recall source of that info [two buybacks]
did google on something like 'cbr250r stalling' and a few on 'ecu stall'
type searches.. my interest from your and other members [mine also]
was as to the relationships between ecu and various cutout sensors
and suchlike ['how it all works' basically],, esp after noting the other
brands of motorcycle with ecu devices and stalling or cutout issues..

my guess would be that a product buy-back arrangement
would involve their legal dept as to contractual aspects etc,
thus you would expect that sort of arrangement..

but mate, if they have stated that your head was out of spec,
that is, at least, a specific reality that could be a solution
for your bike.. obviously the inconvenience and stress
etc, of it cant be removed regardless,, however,
at least its a positive step, and something to
take hold of as a possible light at the end
of your tunnel...

having had now 5 hondas, over many years
with no problems etc, and being what you might
call 'loyal' to the honda motorcycle brand,
i feel bad about your and anyone elses
bad experiences with what should be
another fine well designed motorcycle..
[my last 4 were made in japan...]
lastly, if honda has acknowledged a faulty
head, surely its reasonable for the dealer
to [at least] provide you with an alternative
similar motorcycle to use until resolved..

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Well..there has been no talks about a loaner bike. The mechanic told me I could ride it around until the parts arrived, but something tells me Honda might say something like.."oh you took it out of the shop so..you defaulted the deal". I don't want to take any chances of that happening.

But something just struck me as odd...if they ordered the cylinder head last Thursday or Friday and it came from a dealership in Japan..how the hell did it get here today(Tuesday)? Seems a little too fast, doesn't it?

·
Super Moderator
6,948 Posts
But something just struck me as odd...if they ordered the cylinder head last Thursday or Friday and it came from a dealership in Japan..how the hell did it get here today(Tuesday)? Seems a little too fast, doesn't it?
Why would it come from a "dealership" in Japan... that doesn't make any sense at all. More BS from this mechanic? In any case, expedited air shipping is fast, so it's not surprising that they could get a part that fast.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Why would it come from a "dealership" in Japan... that doesn't make any sense at all. More BS from this mechanic? In any case, expedited air shipping is fast, so it's not surprising that they could get a part that fast.
Not sure..all I was told is that there were no parts available in the States. And from the way it sounded, Honda didn't want to get it from the Thai factory. Which doesn't make any sense either, Honda says they have been talking with the Thai factory and the head specs aren't were they should be compared to those coming off the line. So sounds like the Thai people aren't making the parts right. I don't know..every time I get off the phone with Honda I am left scratching my head trying to figure out and piece together what I was told. I'm sure a lot of it is b.s. and very little is true anyway.

And why the hell they would ship out a head and not the gaskets makes no sense either.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
i get things from usa to australia via amazon standard post in quick time..
wouldnt get too concerned about logistics of parts.. if its there, its there..
dont see how riding the bike [dealer advice] could negate the fact that
the head is out of spec or whatever is the specific fault, if they have
acknowledged the fact - and have arranged for a new head..

also it appears that you have officially stated your case
with honda.. it you havnt dont it already tho, i'd be
writing letters requesting responses - asking questions etc,
for the sake of creating a record of official interactions..

my hunch is that honda really do want to send you away
as another happy honda owner.. what they dont want
is any sort of legal entanglements, such as anyone
taking action on the basis of faulty product etc etc..

seems like they are onto your case mate,
hopefully youll be back in the saddle soon :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Don't worry shisoshin, I will let everybody know what happens. If the head fix does work, I'm sure others will want to try this for their stalling issues. Maybe my bike will start a mass-stalling-fix. Or create a recall..

61 - 80 of 103 Posts