Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slammed with school this week but wanted to give an update. I was nervous as hell but I decided to go to the DMV and take the test for my permit. And I passed thank god. I was sweating it. Also, got my helmet but was pissed b/c it was loose and the one in the store I tried on was perfect. I dunno what happened there. So I ended up driving to Competition Accessories in Rock Hill, SC today. Ended up exchanging for a "manly" Shoei Merciless RF1100. It's pretty sick. At least no one will know I'm a chick when I ride. But I was disappointed about my jacket. Hubs and my jacket were on backorder so I had to hunt them down online. Finally found them from a site based outta San Bernadino, CA. So I now have my permit. Just waiting for the rest of my gear to arrive this week and then starting the MSF course on Friday! :)

NEW HELMET:
http://www.mcas.com.au/products/36b1e68afa.jpg

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
nice..i learned to not skimp on the helmet after buying some cheap one off ebay..it literally started falling apart within months...went with an HJC IS-16 just this week....kinda went with cheaper bargain gear too...not all of it tho..just now a year later buying better (but more expensive) gear to replace it...happy riding and good luck on the course

·
Registered
534 Posts
Awesome and congrats on passing the permit test! My wife and I also start our MSF course this friday. Friday is classroom then riding on sunday then next friday and sunday are classroom and riding again with our riding skills test at the end of the day. As long as we pass we get our license's. We're excited for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have multiple helmets and the shoei rf1100 is my daily; aces helmet, good choice. You can get the sun visor for $30 on eBay and the switching mechanic is a breeze. Decent vents, light, comfortable, though a ya loud for its price; or is my twobros too loud? :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Does anyone ride to work on swing shift? aka daylight riding to work, night when leaving. I use the tinted visor on the ride to work and flip it up and wear goggle/glasses for the ride home. Anyone know of a way to carry both visors comfortably?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I carry an opposite visor in an aerostich microfleece visor bag. I have carried it in a tank bag, on a tank bag, under the seat strap, inside my jacket........
Long trips and daily use, no damage, carry it wherever .

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I carry an opposite visor in an aerostich microfleece visor bag. I have carried it in a tank bag, on a tank bag, under the seat strap, inside my jacket........
Long trips and daily use, no damage, carry it wherever .
What tank bag do you have?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I work 3-11 and carry my clear shield in my backpack with my lunch and everything else. It's inside the little fleece bag that came with it and the helmet. My wife got an awesome fulmer helmet that has a flip down internal dark tinted screenlike the one mentioned above. I want to eventually get one like my wifes because I like the design of the tinted shield and I like the modular helmets too.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've been slammed with school this week but wanted to give an update. I was nervous as hell but I decided to go to the DMV and take the test for my permit. And I passed thank god. I was sweating it. Also, got my helmet but was pissed b/c it was loose and the one in the store I tried on was perfect. I dunno what happened there. So I ended up driving to Competition Accessories in Rock Hill, SC today. Ended up exchanging for a "manly" Shoei Merciless RF1100. It's pretty sick. At least no one will know I'm a chick when I ride. But I was disappointed about my jacket. Hubs and my jacket were on backorder so I had to hunt them down online. Finally found them from a site based outta San Bernadino, CA. So I now have my permit. Just waiting for the rest of my gear to arrive this week and then starting the MSF course on Friday! :)

NEW HELMET:
http://www.mcas.com.au/products/36b1e68afa.jpg
Congrats on the permit and nice looking lid :) My son and I just completed the MSF course, so we'll be getting our M designation on our licenses within the next couple of weeks. Good luck with the course. We learned a lot.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@PAJKRUBI:
They split your course into two weeks?! We go Fri 6-10p, Sat and Sun 8-6. That's nuts that they split it but then again, it's also free. lol. They can't split ours b/c each week is a "new" group.

@spdklls:
I thought about buying cheaper gear but the hubs was adamant about Joe Rocket and Shoei. When he wrecked a few years ago, he says his gear saved his life. Cracked his helmet wide open and slid on his jacket for a long ways. He is now a diehard JR and Shoei customer. Also, I had to buy a year round jacket. So I went for the Alter Ego 3.0 b/c it is layered. Congrats on your new helmet! :)

@TheAOP:
I am at school on Thurs from 8a-10p. My boy brings both visors. He keeps the clear one in a felt lined pouch like someone else was talking about. Protects it etc and keeps that in his backpack. But if you were interested, I know Scorpion EXO-1100 has a tinted visor built into the helmet. I tried it on, but would rather just switch shields b/c that adds weight to the helmet. And I will have to lug mine around b/c I don't trust ppl to just lock my Shoei to my bike with a cable. It's a pretty expensive helmet and there are a**holes at school.

@Empty Sea:
Congrats on finishing the course! And thanks. I'm excited and very eager. As the hubs says, I'm "moto". lol. I am looking forward to this weekend as well as this week. I need my gear to be here asap. I wanted to wear it during the course so I could get used to it. They told us we need full eye protection but all I have are sunglasses. They provide helmets but I don't know if they are full face or not. But since we are bringing our own, and they are full face, I hope that counts enough for eye protection b/c I don't have a pair of goggles and my face is a really odd shape for goggles etc. :(

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Full-face with the screen 3/4 down or more is acceptable. I wore sunglasses and kept the screen open. My son doesn't have a helmet so he used theirs and wore sunglasses. Double-check to see if more than sunglasses are needed for the course (or not since you have a helmet anyhow). I wouldn't worry about getting used to the other gear. Just make sure you have at least the minimum that they require for the course. In our group, there were two husban/wife combos and one father/son, so it's pretty common. Have fun and try not to sweat it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does anyone ride to work on swing shift? aka daylight riding to work, night when leaving. I use the tinted visor on the ride to work and flip it up and wear goggle/glasses for the ride home. Anyone know of a way to carry both visors comfortably?
I do "swing shifts" all the time. Ogio no drag backpack is my answer. It has a hard enough shell to keep the visor from getting crushed in my locker. I don't like luggage addons cause the are ugly (imo) and invite thieves with "what's in the box" curiosity, but maybe you don't work in the ghetto. Ogio backpack is pricey, but it allows me to show up 100% geared, walk in the back 5min, come out all shirts and ties. Been called batman/superman more than once.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I do "swing shifts" all the time. Ogio no drag backpack is my answer. It has a hard enough shell to keep the visor from getting crushed in my locker. I don't like luggage addons cause the are ugly (imo) and invite thieves with "what's in the box" curiosity, but maybe you don't work in the ghetto. Ogio backpack is pricey, but it allows me to show up 100% geared, walk in the back 5min, come out all shirts and ties. Been called batman/superman more than once.
I'm in law enforcement and I have the luxury of keeping things in my locker @ work. I guess I will have to go with the Icon Urban.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I work swing shift also. My helmet has 2 visors, just flip up the tinted on at night. But my helmet is a 3/4 not a full face

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I do the swing shift....my new helmet has the tinted internal sun visor...but i still bought a silver mirrored shield and a universal shield pouch...but i guess ill just put it on when im riding on weekends during daylight

·
Registered
534 Posts
@PAJKRUBI:
They split your course into two weeks?! We go Fri 6-10p, Sat and Sun 8-6. That's nuts that they split it but then again, it's also free. lol. They can't split ours b/c each week is a "new" group.
Yeah they split it up over two weeks but like you said, I don't mind because it's free. LOL It also works for me too because the riding is 8am-1pm and I work weekends and I'm on 3-11 so If they did the longer hours like yours I wouldn't be able to do it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No swing shift, but I've found that wearing my Wayfarers w/ the clear shield on the RF-1100 works very well. It is also convenient for the weekend rides when I stop for a rest. Remove the shades, pull off the helmet and replace the shades.
Storing the shades at night is a lot easier than always carrying a second shield. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get the automated tinted visor

1 - 20 of 23 Posts