Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been riding my '12 250R since July 2012. It's my daily commuter and I do like it a lot. Until recently I only commuted 8 miles to work and back, but for the last 6 months my driving has jumped up to ~50 miles a day. This does include some 12 miles in the CoSal canyons, so I'm not complaining at all.
Long story short, I've been debating for some time on whether to upgrade, and more precisely on what should my next bike be. Mainly due to the fact that the 250R is kinda lightweight on the freeway, as it's absolutely great in all other circumstances.
There've been many bikes I've considered at one point or another, but I can't seem to make up my mind. My top contender would have to be the BMW F800GT, the worry there is that it might be a bit too serious/boring. I've also looked at the FZ6R and FJ-09, as well as the new Versys DL, which lately hasn't been getting very good press.
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you would have an opinion on the subject. May be upgraded and have a particular feeling about it you would like to share? I'm looking for something with a bit more power and weight, but still nimble in the twisties. Preferably not naked. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
399 Posts
The BMW looks like a good choice. Any bike is only as boring as you make it. You've said you're buying a bike for road riding not the track so screaming top end power is not really important.
If you've go the money waiting to be spent then dealers should be falling over each other to give you demo rides. Get as many as you can before parting with your cash.
Other models I'd be considering in your position: Honda CBR650F or VR800, Kawasaki ER650F Twin, Suzuki SV650.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A 2015 CBR650F? That's a long term keeper. Its just a tad wider than the 250R but just as capable on the twisties and is well sprung from factory with strong brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Nithesh, yeah I have looked into the Honda's 500cc range, but wanted something in the 600cc range at least. That's why the FZ6R is on my list - it's a very similar bike to those entry level Hondas.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
@[B]Nithesh[/B], yeah I have looked into the Honda's 500cc range, but wanted something in the 600cc range at least. That's why the FZ6R is on my list - it's a very similar bike to those entry level Hondas.
Nithesh was actually suggesting the Honda CBR650F, not the CBR500R (it was another member who suggested the CBR500R).

If I were looking at getting a bigger sport bike, the CBR650F is one I'd seriously consider.

·
Registered
273 Posts
@Nithesh, yeah I have looked into the Honda's 500cc range, but wanted something in the 600cc range at least. That's why the FZ6R is on my list - it's a very similar bike to those entry level Hondas.
As MotoMike has said, I was referring to the CBR 650F. Its like a modern avatar of the FZ6R in every possible way.
The FZ6R is a bit outdated now. I think a new FZ6R is long due for Yamaha to replace it with.

The one upfront is the CBR650F while the one behind it is the FZ6R and the Ninja 650(or ER6F depending on where you live) is on the left. Its a good upgrade from the 250 if you yearn for more power. Its pretty fast (0-60~3.7 seconds and abouts 155mph on the speedo) but not supersport level of intimidation.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
i'd also be looking at honda cbr650 for your situation..
as a honda man ['hondaka'] i am of course biassed..

factors such as weight and where assembled
would be high on my list..

that nice bmw [with toothed belt final drive]
is apparently to be assembled in india
[as is cbr650f] altho that could be for indian
market consumption [?]

price is a factor for you apparently,
as also should be access to a good outlet
for servicing/parts etc..

any of those motorcycles would seem suitable for
your miles and other riding.. for me the 'sit up and beg'
etgos would rule out that motorcycle design and for those
game changing higher miles you mention a well designed
full fairing [and related ergos] would seem the go..

ive always admired bmw motorcycles generally
but not enough to go past the honda lineup..

nice 'problem' to have tho...

·
Registered
514 Posts

factors such as weight and where assembled
would be high on my list..

that nice bmw [with toothed belt final drive]
is apparently to be assembled in india
[as is cbr650f] altho that could be for indian
market consumption [?]
Afaik:

CBR 650's are from Thailand.
If I got that right, all Honda bikes, from 150cc to 650cc, and lots of the <150cc scooters, for the world markets, are from Thailand, these days
Plus the NC's

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are looking at the FZR, get the 1, not the 6. The six is a good bike, but the suspension is meh. The FZ1 has adjustable suspensiin, and more usable torque.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If you are looking at the FZR, get the 1, not the 6. The six is a good bike, but the suspension is meh. The FZ1 has adjustable suspensiin, and more usable torque.
Don't forget to run the numbers by your insurance agent, first...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I believe they switched production to India some time ago. Can't find much on it on the net though.:|
nope, they didn't
They assemble it there.

I still go with "Made in Thailand"

Honda to launch locally made CBR650F bike by July - The Economic Times

"We are planning to introduce CBR650F sometime in July.
It will be completely assembled in our plant."

"Asked on the localisation levels of the CBR650cc motorcycle,
he said initially it would be around five per cent as it will be
brought in India as a completely knocked down unit and
would be increased in a phased manner."

:wink2:

Same happened to other bikes, around the world.
Jobs in the countries plants,
lower taxes for knocked down units,
lower price possible in the dealership.
Growing the market share

If that would happened, in case India would be member of ASEAN?
Probably not!

"Your" CBR 650 would come in one box.
And from Thailand.

Edit:

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-national/honda-begin-assembling-cbr650f-india-8356

"To start with, the CBR650F’s in-line four-cylinder engine will be imported as a completely built unit along with other components from Thailand. Starting with a local content of just 5 percent at the time of launch, it will be stepped up in stages."

Also: They doing 2 (Two) bikes per day! Only, in the beginning!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Afaik:

CBR 650's are from Thailand.
If I got that right, all Honda bikes, from 150cc to 650cc, and lots of the <150cc scooters, for the world markets, are from Thailand, these days
Plus the NC's
The 650F comes to India from Thailand in parts and gets assembled here. Only the 250R is made here and sold to South American and other small markets.

The CBF 125 sold in Europe used to be made in India too until the 2016 one launched this year that's made in China now.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
i had considered the cbr650f as a replacement motorcycle,
and recall thinking of getting the first model, made in thailand,
before the next year model was made/assembled in india..

google 'cbr650r made in india' gets plenty of info..

eg; "Mr Keita Muramatsu [CEO Honda India];
... of making a 16 valve in-line-four cylinder motorcycle
right here in India. The made in India CBR 650F opens a ..."

seems to be the way of things to come, motorcycles made in
india and china etc.. for me it comes down to runs on the board
in manufacturing and/or assembly of any particular country..

after following the very nice [imo] indian made royal enfield continental gt
as a potential option i was put off by reports of poor quality construction
and components etc.. honda may of course be able to translate design
excellent into top quality manufacture/assembly in india...

·
Registered
514 Posts
But still, to get a '95% made in Thailand assembled in India' CBR650, you would need to buy it in India.
And import it to Australia.
So far Honda is producing in India for the local market.
Plus some of them may go to the other BR(i)CS countries, of course.
You/The manufacturers need to have a plant/assemble point inside the markets.
To be competitive in the price.
Protection taxes are still in place, in developing countries

@ Nitesh:
I have to admit, I wasn't even having a CBF 125 on my radar.
And in case I had, I would have assumed, it comes from the same plant, like the CBR 125, 150, 250, 300, ....,
for the world outside Japan and India.
but I do not call a bike with gear shifter and clutch a scooter, anyway.
To my protection ;-)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi all,
I've been riding my '12 250R since July 2012. It's my daily commuter and I do like it a lot. Until recently I only commuted 8 miles to work and back, but for the last 6 months my driving has jumped up to ~50 miles a day. This does include some 12 miles in the CoSal canyons, so I'm not complaining at all.
Long story short, I've been debating for some time on whether to upgrade, and more precisely on what should my next bike be. Mainly due to the fact that the 250R is kinda lightweight on the freeway, as it's absolutely great in all other circumstances.
There've been many bikes I've considered at one point or another, but I can't seem to make up my mind. My top contender would have to be the BMW F800GT, the worry there is that it might be a bit too serious/boring. I've also looked at the FZ6R and FJ-09, as well as the new Versys DL, which lately hasn't been getting very good press.
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you would have an opinion on the subject. May be upgraded and have a particular feeling about it you would like to share? I'm looking for something with a bit more power and weight, but still nimble in the twisties. Preferably not naked. Thanks in advance
I can recommend The ER6F "Ninja 650" Its a great bike to get the feel for the over 600cc's. It's not extremely powerful but is very forgiving. It's a great learning curve and stop gap for those who are progressing up the cc ladder. Or are worried about the 600 SS bikes.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I can recommend The ER6F "Ninja 650" Its a great bike to get the feel for the over 600cc's. It's not extremely powerful but is very forgiving. It's a great learning curve and stop gap for those who are progressing up the cc ladder. Or are worried about the 600 SS bikes.
Actually the naked version is often times used here as a riding school bike for the A class license. I was trained on one and can say it's relatively easy to handle with plenty of power from low end.
One has also to consider service costs for new bikes and I guess that 4 cylinder bikes are expensive when it comes to valve checks and the like. The ER6 is just a twin so it shouldn't be too expensive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The ER6 is just a twin so it shouldn't be too expensive.
Of course, a bit cheaper in maintenance.

But:
(Just my2cent)

Only a twin, in the 'over 500cc' department, that is the thing.

It's for sure not a Ninja. It's a ER6F(airing).
'Real' Ninjas have inline4 and having max torque and power in the 5 digit rpm area. Not around 8-9k rpm ;-)

And there is no way, to compare a 600/650cc inline 4 with a 650cc parralel twin. Which ever brand you pull.
Two cylinder are having a little performance advantage, in the low displacement area, OVER the single cylinder bikes.
If it comes to 'bit better sound and more power (imho).
Example may be the Duke 390, to the R3 with 'only' 320 cc.
Two really nice bikes, made for the same riding style.
The same spec area, A2
But the little Yam. does not have to hide itself.
The Duke need the bigger engine, to keep in the same sphere.
Because of the single.

The inline2 concept, for even bigger bikes, is in my view a travel-kind of sportive-tourer concept.
They use less gas, are powerful for every need, only not the supersport type.

Did I say, I don't really like bigger parallel twins or any V2 or V4 bikes
0:)
So my pov may a little bit narrow minded.

I've thrown in the CBR500R, b/c it's a 'real good deal' bike.
I think. Great commuter, great mileage.
And still a bit sportive, at weekend trips.

But in case, the 600+cc area is the target:

Not a bike with a p-twin, please.
for me, at least.
Did ride the Versys 650, last weekend.
Not even the owner is really happy with it.
Great bike, but something missing!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts