Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I'm looking at buying a cbr250ra this spring. Actually planned on buying it last year, but couldn't afford the bike and insurance. As well, here in Ontario, insurance goes down after you've had your licence for a year, even if you haven't owned a bike.

Anyways back to my question: Do you think I should buy a used 2011 cbr, or a new 2012 one. I am leaning towards a new 2012 one so that I can ensure its broken in properly, and properly maintained. Buying used is also an option, as it would be cheaper, without dealer fees, pdi, freight, etc.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Buying used is always cheaper, why not let someone else pay the depreciation!! On the other hand there's nothing like riding a new bike off the lot with the odometer at 0!! There are good incentives on the bikes at Honda dealers in Canada now.

No one can tell you what to do, only what they would do. Your decision.

If your going to buy a used one don't wait too long, I worked in a bike store and we could never keep cheap small displacement bikes in stock for about three months in the spring when everyone is taking lessons and getting their license. Buy a bike when no one else is buying for the best deal. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Here in PA, I couldn't find a used one, but a leftover 2011 was about $100 MORE than the new 2012 (different dealer). 2012 had fewer fees, so even though MSRP was more, it was $100 less out the door. Really depends on the deal you can find. If it's close in $ though, I'd go new over used.

Good luck!

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is not enough data on the (new) CBR 250 to know how it will depreciate, with that I will assume that it will depreciate at about the same rate as a Ninja 250.

The ninja 250 only loses about $500 in value over the first couple years with no crash damage or anything else that way. This means that if you buy new it will only cost you $500 for 1-2 years of a bike, plus gas, maintenance, etc.

Why I personally would not buy a used 250 is because to me $500 isnt that much money. To a student, people in different countries, different lines of work, hell even a post-student who does not have a couple decades experience would make less so $500 would be a larger percentage of their net income.

That $500 is a little bit of a gamble, did the original owner ride it too hard and its got some internal parts that are wearing faster than normal? Did the original rider properly do the breakin period? Did the original rider properly maintain the bike (oil changes, etc)? Did the original rider ...

If I do not know the answers to those things then I would rather pay the $500 extra and get a new bike. If the original rider has maintenance records and in talking with them I can get some degree of confidence that they did the break in period properly, had it for its checkups, etc then I would be more willing to pay the "normal resale price". If they are willing to discount the bike more then I may consider it as well.

When someone says "got this bike as a learner bike and have outgrown it in only a few months" I start to think what the rider really means is "I thought it would be faster, I red lined it daily and rode it hard, I want a bigger bike now". Granted the rev limiter kicks in before damage to the engine (normally anyway) but constant rpm riding like that does cause some additional wear on most engines. I do not personally own a CBR yet (dealer said they get em in a couple weeks) so I have not looked at the manual but I bet the break in period of the manual talks about fit & polish on the components and that you should vary the rpms so you get both a good fit and polish not just one. That continues past the break-in period when done for longer durations, it is just more noticeable faster during the break-in period.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There is not enough data on the (new) CBR 250 to know how it will depreciate, with that I will assume that it will depreciate at about the same rate as a Ninja 250.

The ninja 250 only loses about $500 in value over the first couple years with no crash damage or anything else that way. This means that if you buy new it will only cost you $500 for 1-2 years of a bike, plus gas, maintenance, etc.

Why I personally would not buy a used 250 is because to me $500 isnt that much money. To a student, people in different countries, different lines of work, hell even a post-student who does not have a couple decades experience would make less so $500 would be a larger percentage of their net income.

That $500 is a little bit of a gamble, did the original owner ride it too hard and its got some internal parts that are wearing faster than normal? Did the original rider properly do the breakin period? Did the original rider properly maintain the bike (oil changes, etc)? Did the original rider ...

If I do not know the answers to those things then I would rather pay the $500 extra and get a new bike. If the original rider has maintenance records and in talking with them I can get some degree of confidence that they did the break in period properly, had it for its checkups, etc then I would be more willing to pay the "normal resale price". If they are willing to discount the bike more then I may consider it as well.

When someone says "got this bike as a learner bike and have outgrown it in only a few months" I start to think what the rider really means is "I thought it would be faster, I red lined it daily and rode it hard, I want a bigger bike now". Granted the rev limiter kicks in before damage to the engine (normally anyway) but constant rpm riding like that does cause some additional wear on most engines. I do not personally own a CBR yet (dealer said they get em in a couple weeks) so I have not looked at the manual but I bet the break in period of the manual talks about fit & polish on the components and that you should vary the rpms so you get both a good fit and polish not just one. That continues past the break-in period when done for longer durations, it is just more noticeable faster during the break-in period.
(edit) What a load of codswallop.

Every vehicle I have owned has been second hand, and all have gone on to serve me well enough. The motorcycle I have now is an ex-rental, so who knows how it was run in. I bought it with about 90,000 km on the clock. It has done nearly 195,000 km now.

As long as a vehicle has not been in a big crash, and has been reasonably well serviced, it probably has plenty of life left in it, especially if it is only a year old. Just give it a decent once over and use a bit of judgement.

Running in....... click below and go to page 59:

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/CBR250R-RA 32KYJE000.pdf

·
Registered
107 Posts
With all due respect.... what a load of codswallop.
I do not think my opinion is codswallop. I specifically framed my comments as an opinion, one that is mine and not one that I am forcing onto others. I stand by it, despite your objections apparently indicating I do not, I will not buy a used bike for such a small mark down unless there are maintenance records and I can get a read on the seller to know whether or not they abused it. The price difference is just not great enough in this size bike (again using the ninja 250 resale numbers since the 2011 cbr 250 is too new to have such a history to gauge it by).

By prefacing your response with "with all due respect" and then attacking my opinion as if yours is magically fact but mine is somehow not you are not showing respect, but you knew that or else you would not have added that part. Anecdotal evidence does not make something fact, it is not scientific, you have not disproved my opinion - especially one that relates to how I personally and individually spend money on items for my personal use.

As I said in my opinion some people $500 is enough that they would decide to buy used, for me it is not so I wont buy used for a mere $500 savings. I also stated that were the price difference greater I may consider it even without good maintenance records and a good feel for the original rider (the whole part about it being discounted more).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I do not think my opinion is codswallop. I specifically framed my comments as an opinion, one that is mine and not one that I am forcing onto others. I stand by it, despite your objections apparently indicating I do not, I will not buy a used bike for such a small mark down unless there are maintenance records and I can get a read on the seller to know whether or not they abused it. The price difference is just not great enough in this size bike (again using the ninja 250 resale numbers since the 2011 cbr 250 is too new to have such a history to gauge it by).

By prefacing your response with "with all due respect" and then attacking my opinion as if yours is magically fact but mine is somehow not you are not showing respect, but you knew that or else you would not have added that part. Anecdotal evidence does not make something fact, it is not scientific, you have not disproved my opinion - especially one that relates to how I personally and individually spend money on items for my personal use.

As I said in my opinion some people $500 is enough that they would decide to buy used, for me it is not so I wont buy used for a mere $500 savings. I also stated that were the price difference greater I may consider it even without good maintenance records and a good feel for the original rider (the whole part about it being discounted more).

Oh dear.... and no thanks for making the effort to make the Owner's Manual available.

C'est la vie.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
@ trixter...Someone sent me a private message several months back with some very smart advice..it was a small sentence and very much to the point...it simply said ...."Don't Feed the Trolls" ... I now publicly pass this advice on to you..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Somebody sent me a vistor message that he kept on changing because he had trouble with big words. In the end he settled for one small word. Click on my name (it is my real one) and see it if you care to.

Now he is disclosing the contents of a PM; that must rank as a breach of privacy.

All in all, you are a bit of a disappointment, Spdklls, after the time I spent interpreting some state law about Jumping Jack Flash lights into simple language for your benefit. I also absolved you from feeling guilty for nearly forgetting to put your pants on, and a bit more besides. Now you call me a troll... and I think you may have requested a mild posting of mine be removed because it offended your sensitive self..... only to see you come out with some pretty obnoxious stuff about "Third World Whatevers" or some such. What have you got to be so proud about?

Oh, I remember now. It is your genuine Kevlar Nancy Boy leathers. I hope they are still looking pristine.

At least I know you are still reading the wisdom of Thailand Boy, Mikey, or whatever cuteness you care to tag me with.

To the OP, if you think the second hand bike is good value, buy it. If not, and you think it is worth having, make what you think is a reasonable offer. If it is accepted, you have yourself a bargain. If not, you have another option.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Whew, it's getting nasty I see...

Anyway, to answer your question (give my opinion really), if you are fine with not having a "Brand New" cycle, buying a good used one is a great idea. For something that's a year old with low miles your chances of getting a "lemon" is pretty low.

You still need to look closely at a few things before buying. One quick/easy way to tell how well the cycle has been maintained is look at the chain. If it's loose and rusty you know the person didn't stay on top of the regular maintenance. Also look at the oil color. It can be reasonably dark, but if it looks like ink its probably not been change at regular intervals.

I've purchased numerous new and used cars/trucks/cycles, and will buy new or leftover models if I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time (10 years or more). For something like the CBR that's usually not the case.

Shop around and NEVER purchase an extended warranty if you do buy from a dealer!

Jay

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I would go with new over used any time I could....and thai boy mikey..I see all you ever do is post obnoxious smarta$$ remarks every time you log on here and especially if its to an american you go all to hell with an anti american rant every chance you get..

you never have anything constructive to say and its clear the only reason you get on here is to troll and start an argument or put someone down for having different ideas or opinions than yourself...
so yeah..your the biggest most obnoxious Troll in this forum..And I meant every word I Pm'd you then deleted after I calmed down..would love the chance to re-tell you those words over again right to your face one day..wouldnt that be grand

Dont worry punk..after this msg Im back to ignoring you regardless of any waste of my time response you come up with to try to entice me to keep it going..like last time..after all..your not supposed to keep feeding the Trolls..right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll take used with 675 miles and first service done, no dealer add ons. Or my Vulcan 500 2005 model with 4100 miles for $2000, also paid cash.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would go with new over used any time I could....and thai boy mikey..I see all you ever do is post obnoxious smarta$$ remarks every time you log on here and especially if its to an american you go all to hell with an anti american rant every chance you get..

you never have anything constructive to say and its clear the only reason you get on here is to troll and start an argument or put someone down for having different ideas or opinions than yourself...
so yeah..your the biggest most obnoxious Troll in this forum..And I meant every word I Pm'd you then deleted after I calmed down..would love the chance to re-tell you those words over again right to your face one day..wouldnt that be grand

Dont worry punk..after this msg Im back to ignoring you regardless of any waste of my time response you come up with to try to entice me to keep it going..like last time..after all..your not supposed to keep feeding the Trolls..right?
Wow, I'm a punk now. Don't waste your time reading this if you don't want to. I won't be offended. Should I grow my hairy spiky and dye it stars and stripes? It might make getting a skid lid on a bit difficult. But then, I would look so cool that I would not want to cover it up.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'll take used with 675 miles and first service done, no dealer add ons. Or my Vulcan 500 2005 model with 4100 miles for $2000, also paid cash.

regards
Badger
What Badger sort of hints, is correct. If you have cash, it's a buyers' market for used bikes.

Gotta look flash, or want credit...... I dunno; some people are prisoners to their own arrogance.

When I have needed/wanted a bike I have just checked out what is available, and gone for what fits my needs and my budget; always paying cash.

If you have the cash, or can afford the terms for a new bike, and are prepared to wait for the colour and spec you want, buy new.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you buy new you will have dealer fees like freight and set up and doc fees to maybe pay. I probably buy new myself since I see bikes as " my baby".

·
Registered
133 Posts
just something to be aware of.. 2011 Cbr250 and 2012 Cbr 250 NO CHANGE.

So just buy the best deal on offer..

Also is this a Cbr250 website for Americans only OR is it a CBR250 website.... Answers please...Because if Americans only ..I will get my coat!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
just something to be aware of.. 2011 Cbr250 and 2012 Cbr 250 NO CHANGE.

So just buy the best deal on offer..

Also is this a Cbr250 website for Americans only OR is it a CBR250 website.... Answers please...Because if Americans only ..I will get my coat!
Because they've just got the Original cbr Tri Colour released there and they think its a new model, and in 10 yrs when Honda has made 10 different colour schemes without changing anything on our bargain sporty commuter they will still be thinking the 2022 is any different to the 2011.

Only change will be the build date.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yep, once you get out of the finance trap, you begin to realize how much people spend having today what they could have tomorrow with a heck of a lot less money.

Figure out all the interest you are paying monthly. 21 years ago my wife and I were paying $1500 a month. 16 years ago it was nothing. Do the math 16X12X1500 and you get an idea of how much we still have in the bank.

regards
Badger

1 - 20 of 23 Posts