Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
^yes title fail^

So ive been noticing when looking at used cbr250 and the ninja 250 on craigslist/ebay/cycletrader, people who are selling their bikes usually have about a couple thousand miles on it and no mods at all, but they try selling their bikes for a rediculous price ie more than msrp for a brand new one.

example 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r, Bonsall CA - 99371051 - Cycletrader.com

i understand he has a loan but who is going to pay this much for a used bike when they could get a new one for a grand less?

this isnt the first theres quite a few like this. is there something im missing? how do these people think they are gonna sell a used bike for a grand more than a new one?

im getting a cbr and my cousin a ninja and were trying to get the best deal thinking were only gonna pay bout 4600 max, is there something else we need to look out for?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i chose to buy my new cbr 250 so i could enter the 2 wheel club the legal way and get my license, learn how unforgiving the local roads are and eventually get my open class so i can ride my 1979 cb650 on sundays. i don't care how much my bike appreciates or depreciates it's a great bike to learn on and it is a honda.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would call the seller and ask. If it is a typo and should be 4XXX, it is still too much.
How do you know it was not thrashed for 1600 mi.?
seller or fool?

Good luck gettig your CR, excellent choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would call the seller and ask. If it is a typo and should be 4XXX, it is still too much.
How do you know it was not thrashed for 1600 mi.?
seller or fool?

Good luck gettig your CR, excellent choice.

def not a typo says a second time
Still have a loan for the bike so transaction will have to be at my bank. $5,500.00
and again its not the only person doing this. im afraid theres some hidden fees imma be paying (other than tax)

another example http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R-99335000
selling a 2010 with a grand on it for same price and a 2011 brand spankin new?

[edit] reason why im not pointing out cbrs i cant find any privates being sold right now

·
Registered
706 Posts
That price is certainly too high, but for 75% of the world it seems these are hard to find at the dealer. If you can't find a new one (or you have been waiting in line for the entire summer) then you might start considering going for one that's used and close to or even above retail.

This happens a lot actually, anytime there is a product someone wants and they aren't willing to settle for something else. They will pay whatever they think they have to to get it. For example the Ariel Atom has always been on a 20 month + waiting list. If you're a lucky owner you can usually turn it for $10,000 profit after you already had your fun haha.

The bikes sold better around the world then Honda expected them to. For good reason too hehe they ride so **** well even if it's slow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
'Beginner' class bikes typically have the highest demand and therefore lowest depreciation. Unfortunately, what you're seeing is fairly typical. Depending on how long they've had it up for sale, might be some wiggle-room on the price.

For that class of bike (where drops, learner-clutch-abuse, maintenance-neglect etc.. may be more common than on more expensive bikes owned by "experienced" riders), you're probably better off buying new.:cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey I forgot, here in the u.s., when mazda brought out the mr2, it had a target price, and due to high demand the market drove the price up 3000.00 or so. The specs got reprinted and mazda had a new price.

theys guys are just opportunists, looking for a sucker.
If I did not have a cbr250, and wanted one, I would at the least put a deposit for next shipment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I see a lot of young buyers with no credit buying new bikes and the bike shop talks them in to extended warranty (which I personally do buy for my street hondas, but usually buy the factory honda warranty from a dealer on ebay), and a lot of times, insurance as well. They'll finance the whole package. Then they find out they can't really afford the payment.

Interesting thing about the factory extended warranty, Honda has a flat fee for a 'range' of bikes. The dealer is allowed to charge whatever they want over this fee. My F4i, 1000RR and VFR all fell in the same catagory and required the same extended plan rate. The dealer I bought my F4i from charged me 430 for the 4 year warranty, my local dealer charger me 460 for the RR I bought from them. I bought the warranty off ebay from a dealer in Tennessee after buying the VFR for 390. You can do this anytime within the one year warranty of any Honda, and buy the extended warranty from any dealer, the dealer you buy the warranty from does the paper work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see a lot of young buyers with no credit buying new bikes and the bike shop talks them in to extended warranty (which I personally do buy for my street hondas, but usually buy the factory honda warranty from a dealer on ebay), and a lot of times, insurance as well. They'll finance the whole package. Then they find out they can't really afford the payment.

Interesting thing about the factory extended warranty, Honda has a flat fee for a 'range' of bikes. The dealer is allowed to charge whatever they want over this fee. My F4i, 1000RR and VFR all fell in the same catagory and required the same extended plan rate. The dealer I bought my F4i from charged me 430 for the 4 year warranty, my local dealer charger me 460 for the RR I bought from them. I bought the warranty off ebay from a dealer in Tennessee after buying the VFR for 390. You can do this anytime within the one year warranty of any Honda, and buy the extended warranty from any dealer, the dealer you buy the warranty from does the paper work.

^^^WOW this is nuts^^^

as for what everyone else is saying "supply and demand" basically, i get that i just think its very odd especially since ive been to 3 dealerships here in San Diego and all three are shoving the CBR250r down my throat (they have 2 on display each place) and 2 out of those three had new and used ninja 250s so i dont see the supply of these bikes too low. they were all trying to get me to peace out with a cbr that day so, maybe the stock is finally coming in!?

either way... do all dealerships charge "setup fees"? my cousin went in to one of the local dealers here and told him he just had to pay the msrp and tax, he didnt even mention the CA tire recycle fee... seems sketch.

i have a tight budget and im planning on walking in and paying bout 4500 +/- i dont wanna walk in and get all the paperwork ready and have them tell me, "pay this fee and this fee and this and that...."

·
Registered
66 Posts
either way... do all dealerships charge "setup fees"? my cousin went in to one of the local dealers here and told him he just had to pay the msrp and tax, he didnt even mention the CA tire recycle fee... seems sketch.

i have a tight budget and im planning on walking in and paying bout 4500 +/- i dont wanna walk in and get all the paperwork ready and have them tell me, "pay this fee and this fee and this and that...."
Not all dealers charge a setup fee. A lot do, its easy money. My local dealer doesn't

1 - 11 of 11 Posts