Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that worked as a mecanic at the local honda dealer. He now opened his own bussiness and is extreemly busy and doing well. I stopped by his place and asked him about the valve check at 600 miles. He went out started the bike run the R.P.M.s up and down and said he could check it for me but it would be a waste of money. Stated that it would start hard or the engine would be noisey if the valves were out of adjustment that far. I now have 2600 miles on the bike and the engine is still guiet, starts right up, and runs great. If i didnt know this guy i would say hes full of B.S. but he has a great reputation and knows what hes doing. The dealers wont tell you that , they wont turn anybody away, they need the $$$$$$.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds right to me... but if you don't do all of the required maintenance, you can loose your warranty.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm thinking of just getting the oil change and screwing the valve adjustment. I probably will only ride 2k the whole year so warranty is no big deal.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
If i didnt know this guy i would say hes full of B.S. but he has a great reputation and knows what hes doing. The dealers wont tell you that , they wont turn anybody away, they need the $$$$$$.
My dealers basically said the same as him and didn't want to do it.

I insisted, all was okay.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Check them.

It's good that he is your friend and will therefore give you a fair price for the work that he does. It is very easy to check the valve clearance only. The first time may take a few extra minutes of head scratching. The second time can be done easily in 1/2 hour. Changing the shims is more work. I wouldn't neglect to just have them checked at least. If you wait until the point where they get so tight that there are running issues, you can burn the valves.

·
Registered
354 Posts
loose valves hit the seat, and tap (beat the seat, and deform the valve). tight valves ride the cam,run quieter until leaks happen, leak hot exhaust gasses and burn the seats. glad its your bike, good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to think the same thing but was told if you hear a tap or click is actually the valve hitting the seat because its to tight. I will check around with some other people not really sure what to think now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I also know of bikes that never had valve adjustments because the owner had no idea. They lived. They probably were down a little on performance, and ended up kind of shabby, but they putted on for a long time. I just personally believe in keeping the adjusments within specs. Valves left out of spec MAY cause damage, probbly cause a loss in performance.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
valve tightness

Tight valves do not tap, but they will cause harder starting.

When my NX250 (purchased used with 10,500 miles) became harder to start I pulled the cylinder head cover and checked the valves. 3 needed 0.025 less and the right intake needed 0.050 less thickness in the shim. 10,000+ miles later I'm getting ready to check them again this winter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Checking the valves by revving the engine

You can't tell whether the valves are lose or tight by revving the engine. Please find someone else to service your bike. Your mechanic is just guessing, probably because he doesn't know what it will entail to check the valves. Before you leave him ask if he has a service manual. I'd be really surprised if he does. Checking and adjusting the valves is somewhat complicated and done correctly will take some time. See my post on the subject. I found both my exhaust valves to be tight. good luck. Consult someone else. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your imput. Interesting comments. Going to just have them checked next spring when it comes out of storage for peace of mind. This guy really is a good mecanic he builds race motors for bikes snowmobiles, theres nothing he cant do. He has a great reputation and his shop is full. He did ask me if it was starting hard and I said no. starts right up. Said not to worry about it then, engine is quiet and if it starts right up the valves are ok. Again he said he would check them if I wanted him to but stated there was NO danger of damaging the engine

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used to think the same thing but was told if you hear a tap or click is actually the valve hitting the seat because its to tight. I will check around with some other people not really sure what to think now.
"Tight" means the clearance between the cam and valve is tight, not the valve and seat. Tight clearance here means the valve can never fully contact the valve seat, which means the valve cannot transfer it's heat to the seat/head, hence your valve burns up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
^^ yes, and hard to start due to lack of compression.
I have seen many valves out of spec, tight and loose, but I have never seen an engine with the valves so far out of spec that starting was difficult. I would not trust ayone that uses difficult starting as an indicator of valve clearance spec. Loose valves you can hear, adn you dont need to rev the motor high, you can even hear it at an idle.

·
Registered
354 Posts
the engine would allso be hard to start if the valves were too loose. So loose you dont even get an intake charge. These difficult starting scenarios are not idicators that your valves are out of spec. They indicate neglect, or you need a new mechanic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts