Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did my first valve adjustment today whilst still waiting on the title from the bank (and my shims to come in the mail), and I was wondering if any of you guys put sealant on the valve cover gasket where it says to in the manual, right at the two indentures on the clutch side of the engine. I usually like to stay away from sealant if at all possible, especially in cramped spaces. Did anyone add more to it after removing the cover? Were there any oil leaks after putting it back on if you didn't add any sealant?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sealing the Valve Cover

I cleaned the gasket, cover track and head and used light grease on the gasket. No leaks. I have used this method many times and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect. I never liked sealant anyway. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sealing the Valve Cover

Sorry to revive an old thread - "light grease" was mentioned by Carolina Slim as being applied to the valve cover gasket. I was wondering exactly what substance this refers to. Would the current engine oil I use suffice? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread - "light grease" was mentioned by Carolina Slim as being applied to the valve cover gasket. I was wondering exactly what substance this refers to. Would the current engine oil I use suffice? Thanks
I would think that a better way of saying it would be "a light coating of grease"... I'm guessing they are probably using regular wheel bearing grease, or something similar.

Personally, I prefer to use either Ultra Black RTV, or HondaBond 4. It doesn't take much... a very small amount will do in the corners of those half circles of the valve cover gasket.

The bigger concern regarding the valve cover gasket is making sure it is seated squarely in the channel when the cover is in place. Some have had subsequent oil leakage due to the gasket not being properly seated during re-assembly.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Do you lubricate the other sections of the gasket with something (such as engine oil) to ensure a good seal?
No... I just clean off all the surfaces and install it dry (besides the dab of sealant at the corners of the half circles). This rubber gasket compresses a fair amount when the two cover bolts are snugged down, so as long as the gasket is in place in the channel you should have no issues with oil leakage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts