Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike in Wednesday for a valve job. Dealer said it might be done that day or first thing in the morning. No problem. Called Thursday and dealer said, "we are having some problems as this is the first time we have had this model in for service." "We should get it to you by the end of the day." Called at 4:50pm today. "The repair manual is wrong, blah blah.......... We called Honda Tech 4 times today. We finally talked to an engineer and he said that we would have to go in the opposite side of the engine and use the rocker arms to check the valve clearance." "We actually had to talk to one of the engineers to get the right answer." They said they have it figured out and they will have to reassemble it tomorrow. He made a very big point that this was the first valve job done in the U.S. on this model. Really?? Well, that makes me a more than a little nervous but I guess its under warranty if something isn't done right. I would love to get some input on this situation so I will shut up and listen now. This is the by far the biggest most reputable dealer in the St. Louis area. Scary huh?!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm about to do mine myself. There's really nothing complicated about it. The spec's are supposedly under the seat and you just measure the space between the top of the valve and the rocker arm. If it's out of spec you order the proper spacer. Dealer said they had them in stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is this for 600 miles service? That took a whole day for mine. Left it at the dealership at 8 am and picked it up at almost 6 pm.
It needs to stand for ~3-4 hours for engine to completely cool down, and than it takes 3 hours to work on it (at least that's for how much they charged me, he he)

·
Registered
706 Posts
The 600 mile service includes a general inspection of the bike. They check all the bolts to make sure they are tight and adjust the throttle cable and stuff like that. 3 hours is about right for that kind of a check over. The adjust shouldn't take more then 1 hour though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
How much did you guys pay for the 600 mile service?

·
Registered
193 Posts
How much did you guys pay for the 600 mile service?
$266.65 on June 18th. They didn't charge me for the extra time it took them to figure everything out. :D Ended up adjusting all of the shims.

She runs great all the way to redline in 1, 2, 3 and 4. This afternoon on the way home I topped out at 82 in 6th on a short stretch. I doubt I could get much more out of her, but I don't need to. I wanted something fun, but with a limited top end. The CBR250R is plenty quick for me. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my bike in Wednesday for a valve job. Dealer said it might be done that day or first thing in the morning. No problem. Called Thursday and dealer said, "we are having some problems as this is the first time we have had this model in for service." "We should get it to you by the end of the day." Called at 4:50pm today. "The repair manual is wrong, blah blah.......... We called Honda Tech 4 times today. We finally talked to an engineer and he said that we would have to go in the opposite side of the engine and use the rocker arms to check the valve clearance." "We actually had to talk to one of the engineers to get the right answer." They said they have it figured out and they will have to reassemble it tomorrow. He made a very big point that this was the first valve job done in the U.S. on this model. Really?? Well, that makes me a more than a little nervous but I guess its under warranty if something isn't done right. I would love to get some input on this situation so I will shut up and listen now. This is the by far the biggest most reputable dealer in the St. Louis area. Scary huh?!
Was this a certain dealer on South Lindbergh by any chance?

·
Registered
681 Posts
$266.65 on June 18th. They didn't charge me for the extra time it took them to figure everything out. :D Ended up adjusting all of the shims.

She runs great all the way to redline in 1, 2, 3 and 4. This afternoon on the way home I topped out at 82 in 6th on a short stretch. I doubt I could get much more out of her, but I don't need to. I wanted something fun, but with a limited top end. The CBR250R is plenty quick for me. :)

I'm still working on my break-in period. I've got about 150 miles to go on that still. I can't wait until the first service is done!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, South Lindbergh. $357 for the first service (600mi.). I couldn't have been happier with my bike before I took it in. Absolutely perfect weight, great handling, can ride it throttle wide open without getting yourself in trouble much of the time and fun, fun, fun! Oh ya, stops on a dime. I sure hope she is ready to roll when I get her back. I'm trying not to be judgemental but it seems that the dealership should be a little more prepared, trained or competent than this. I still have faith they have figured it out before giving back to a customer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Based on what my dealer's mechanic related to me this doesn't sound unreasonable. The mechanic told me that at first he could not figure out how to get the new shim into place (released from the magnet he was using). I just changed the break in oil on mine and will start on the valves myself tomorrow morning. I'm going to try and do it with the tank left in place. It'll be pretty tight. I'll see if it works out..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck furious blue. Glad to hear there may just be a learning curve here. I would like to tackle a job like that but usually I know just enough to get me into trouble when it comes to working on my own transportation. They dealership did mention something about not being able to get the shim in place according to the manual. They had to figure out an alternative approach to set them. Let us know some details of how your valve job goes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If I manage to set the valves OK, I'll post up some pictures.. If I have to throw in the towel and truck it to the dealer I'll silently hang my head in shame and fade away :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes, it was the initial service with the oil change, valve check/adjustment, inspection etc. The 600mi. service. You have to let the bike cool down for three hours before adjusting the valves apparently. So, if your guys did the actual work in 1 hour, they must be quite a ladder rung up from my mechanics.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I paid $314
Holy ****. My dealer said they'd do it for $100, and $75 if I did everything but the valve adjust.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It is the valve adjustment that is so labor intensive. I believe I was quoted $100 without the valve adjustment but I think that is the point of the intitial service. I saw a book he was looking at with prices in it as I said "holy ****" when he told me the cost. He said follow up services are significantly cheaper. Even the ones with valve adjustments. I know other brands tend to charge unreasonable first service charges too. I think this is because they know most people are going to be very keen to take care of their bikes needs when the are brand new.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Doesnt seem like there should be any need to check the valves with only 600 miles on the bike. My dealer doesnt even suggest a check. It is important to change oil and filter though. I have never taken any bike ive ever owned in for a 600 mile check up, think theres some dealers out there taking advantage of people. But it cant hurt anything if you got a lot of extra money and it makes you feel better

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, it was the initial service with the oil change, valve check/adjustment, inspection etc. The 600mi. service. You have to let the bike cool down for three hours before adjusting the valves apparently. So, if your guys did the actual work in 1 hour, they must be quite a ladder rung up from my mechanics.
3 hours before they stated working on it....yea I dropped it off at 9am and got it back 1, 1:30 ish they never told me anything about cooling off. :confused:

How is the bike running now? My bike runs MUCH better since the service

1 - 20 of 52 Posts