Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
They're referring to the copper washer on the side of the head.
In that case

90418-KYJ-900 Cost $0.38 List is $0.45

There are 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Valve job

Had my doubts about the need to have valves checked at only 600 miles.
Made it to 2,000 miles before I found this forum and discovered that many 250s have had valves that needed adjustment. Well add mine to the list. The intake valve was too tight - outside of spec. Technician put in new shim and all good to go. Note - this bike is still so new that the final service manual hasn't even been printed. Service Mgr told me he had to print out an interim manual from www to get proper instructions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Had my doubts about the need to have valves checked at only 600 miles.
Made it to 2,000 miles before I found this forum and discovered that many 250s have had valves that needed adjustment. Well add mine to the list. The intake valve was too tight - outside of spec. Technician put in new shim and all good to go. Note - this bike is still so new that the final service manual hasn't even been printed. Service Mgr told me he had to print out an interim manual from www to get proper instructions.
Congrats on avoiding some possibly costly damage.
It's good to have this forum where we can share our experiences !

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in, thinking about buying, stage. The Dealer referenced in this thread is the one closest to my house, and where I would likely go. However, I'm curious how things were handled.

CBR-STL, did the dealer correct your issue to your satisfaction?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, they came and picked up the bike from my house. At the time I had not yet paid for anything as I picked it up after hours the Friday before. He said when he was leaving he would try to take a little off the service charge. I told him right there that he would have to do better than that so he should go ahead and talk to his boss about what was possible. The dealer ended up admitting that they had reused the oil filter gasket because they did not have any new ones in stock. I had to wait another three days for them to get a gasket in stock. By the time all was said and done the gave me the whole $370 service free. I guess I am happy but I am a little apprehensive they are going to try to make some of that money up off me in the future????? And I guess I question their judgement a little. Good luck and if you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I appreciate it. Still not certain what I'm going to get, but if there is a dealership to be wary of, I of course want as much info as I can get to know what to expect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
they told me it will cost 150 for them to service the bike in warsaw indiana and that is what i paid i think that it is a good deal

·
Registered
706 Posts
they told me it will cost 150 for them to service the bike in warsaw indiana and that is what i paid i think that it is a good deal
Lake City is a really good dealer. Very reasonable and they try to be helpful even though the bike is so new.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Valve lash adjustment

It is the valve adjustment that is so labor intensive. I believe I was quoted $100 without the valve adjustment but I think that is the point of the intitial service. I saw a book he was looking at with prices in it as I said "holy ****" when he told me the cost. He said follow up services are significantly cheaper. Even the ones with valve adjustments. I know other brands tend to charge unreasonable first service charges too. I think this is because they know most people are going to be very keen to take care of their bikes needs when the are brand new.
One of the patented features of this engine is that the shim adjustment is not supposed to need the cam shaft removed. I would think that suggests its a fairly easy procedure. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts