Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone who has adjusted their valve clearances can tell me the size of the shims. I just purchased a complete set of 7.48mm shims for another bike on ebay for a good price and I'm hoping I can use them on the CBR. Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The shim size on each valve varies.

You have to measure the valve clearance for each valve, and if it is out of spec, note how much the difference is. The existing shim for that valve then has to be measured, and the difference (positive or negative) has to be added to or subtracted from the thickness of the original shim to get the clearance back to spec.

I think in most cases the shim will be less than 2 mm thick. As it is hardened, a surface grinder will have to be used to reduce it to the correct thickness. You do not need to buy shims next time 7.5 m die pins will do fine if you have the facility to do the parting on a lathe with a grinder.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I can't just put in a shim of different thickness?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I know how to adjust the valve clearance by changing shim size, I've been adjusting valves in my bikes for decades and years ago in my cars. What I'm asking is if anyone knows the shim diameter on these bikes. Shims basically come in two sizes for bikes, 7.48mm and 9.48, I have a set of the smaller diameter and I'm wondering if they'll work in the CBR. Hot Cams make shim kits for virtually every bike and I picked up a kit for one of my other bikes on ebay.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The dia of the stock shim is 7.45, but will accept up to 7.5 (worked for me), so the 7.48 should be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
7.48 diameter is correct. They are the same as for the Honda dirt bikes.
Thanks Sendler. Fortunately all the bikes I've owned that use shims use that size. I got tired of running to the dealers to purchase individual shims and finally bought a kit cheap on eBay and it's saved me a bundle.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
Well, I know how to adjust the valve clearance by changing shim size, I've been adjusting valves in my bikes for decades and years ago in my cars. What I'm asking is if anyone knows the shim diameter on these bikes. Shims basically come in two sizes for bikes, 7.48mm and 9.48, I have a set of the smaller diameter and I'm wondering if they'll work in the CBR. Hot Cams make shim kits for virtually every bike and I picked up a kit for one of my other bikes on ebay.
How many shim's are in the Hot Cams set?
What is the size range (thickness) of the set?

Honda lists 72 different shim thicknesses in the parts list for the CBR: Sized from 1.200 to 2.900, in increments of 0.025. At $5.55 each X 4 X 72 = $1598.40... Holy crap!!!, that's a lot of dough to have them all! For a dealer, paying half that price, it's still $800.00 to cover all the possibilities. And still thats only 4 shims of each size for that amount of money.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many shim's are in the Hot Cams set?
What is the size range (thickness) of the set?

Honda lists 72 different shim thicknesses in the parts list for the CBR: Sized from 1.200 to 2.900, in increments of 0.025. At $5.55 each X 4 X 72 = $1598.40... Holy crap!!!, that's a lot of dough to have them all! For a dealer, paying half that price, it's still $800.00 to cover all the possibilities. And still thats only 4 shims of each size for that amount of money.
I think I paid 60 dollars for my hot cams set. Can't recall all the shim sizes but there's three of each if I recall, I can look if you need to know. My set came in two containers. The sets are all over eBay, mine came from Florida with free shipping. The sets are the same the bike shops get, at least the dealers I've worked at. Shims can be used over again so you always have the same number of shims. I use a set of calipers to check the thickness. Put the numbers down so they don't get rubbed off.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, good dealer. Some will do that and others will charge you up to $12 a shim!!! I have more than one bike with shims so it was worth while to buy a kit. Also, with different bikes I tend to use shims from different size ranges making it even more worth my while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts