Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Vibrating Handlebars

17K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  hondafan 
#1 ·
I am riding a stock 2011 CBR250 that did 5000km overall.

While riding at 6k-7k rpm which is around 90kph or 110kph (depends on 5th or 6th gear), I start to feel the handlebars vibrating. It feels like I'm holding two giant high power vibrators - very uncomfortable for the palms.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I tried searching and found nothing.
Thank you!

#2 ·
Different grips or different bar end weights will help that, no doubt.

#4 ·
Work fine for me... every rider's sensitivity to vibration is different. That's one reason why there are aftermarket parts on the market.

Are you also sure you're not clamping down on the grips?

#5 ·
I had $10 gel grips installed and have not had any hand strain or vibration since then. "Work properly" is relative to your tolerance - does the stock seat not work properly because my ass hurts after 3 hours lol? Etc

I think we got alot for what we paid - just throw the gel ones on and you'll be good man.

#9 · (Edited)
Cramp buster and foam grips for the win. I like the feel of something substantial in my hand, makes me feel better about my wrist control ;).

All kidding aside, the foam grips help nicely at that 6000rpm buzz and to remove the after ride vibez. The cramp buster is great for $10, allows you to really move your fingers and relax when needed, while gaining a better ability to control throttle(bigger diameter grips help that also).

#14 ·
To paraphrase the advice once bestowed upon me...

"Do you think that's a hand-hold you have there? Do you think you need to hold them up otherwise the bike should fall? NO! THOSE ARE EGGSHELLS, HOLD THEM GENTLY! DO NOT CRUSH!"

That said, some people are just more sensitive to vibrations than others. If changing the hardware and the technique isn't the OP's cup of tea, then perhaps riding in a different RPM band will do the trick.

#17 ·
If you are still experiencing vibration after adjusting your grip strength, you can try adding lead shot inside the bars to dampen vibration and change the vibration frequency.

It has helped on a previous cycle that had a high frequency vibration that would make my fingers tingle after less than an hour on the hwy.

Jay

#18 ·
Make sure you're grabbing the tank with your knee's and heel guards with heels, as this will help relieve the pressure you feel to "hold on".

I wouldn't say the vibe on this bike is bad, but when you're going to be on the bike at a constant 7k+ rpm cruising/commuting, i want my hands comfortable. Than again, I have problems with arthritis and I'll never stop riding, so I'll take the pain, just try to minimize it so I can maximize ride time.

#20 ·
How is your front tire looking? Is the wear even?

I had a Honda ruckus with the knobby tread tires. After 6000 miles the tread was all over the place. Still plenty of it, but super uneven. The only time it didn't vibrate was on corners/ bends.

Might wanna try dyna beads. Just a thought.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com App

#22 ·
Hi guys,

Im having a similar problem of pretty hefty vibration when going highway speeds which has only seem to have come on recently (bike is on 4000 miles).

Definitely nothing to do with my grip since it has happened after reading twist of the wrist which led me to completely reduce my grip strength.

I bought my bike used and it doesn't have bar ends which seems like it might be some of the problem (although doesn't explain the sudden onset).

Do you think weighted bar ends would do the trick and if so does anyone know the size I can't seem to find it anywhere? Was gonna go with 7/8

Thanks

#23 ·
Hi guys,

Im having a similar problem of pretty hefty vibration when going highway speeds which has only seem to have come on recently (bike is on 4000 miles).

Definitely nothing to do with my grip since it has happened after reading twist of the wrist which led me to completely reduce my grip strength.

I bought my bike used and it doesn't have bar ends which seems like it might be some of the problem (although doesn't explain the sudden onset).

Do you think weighted bar ends would do the trick and if so does anyone know the size I can't seem to find it anywhere? Was gonna go with 7/8

Thanks
Since this issue recently showed up, I would suspect that your front wheel is out of balance. Are any of the wheel weights missing?

Bar end weights do make a difference in the amount of felt vibration.

#24 ·
[long response, basically effects of tension etc
plus few hints on hand etc use in riding..
just scroll on bye :) ]

has this excessive vibration just started, or been there
since 2011 and during that 5000k ?

best check would be to ride other cbr250r's..

without doubt tho, the experience of vibration
will and must be effected by how you hold
or grip the bars.. if your muscles are tensed
then all sensors in muscle fibers/bundles, joints
and connective tissues will be sending more
info into your brain, ie, you will be more
aware of it because there is more of it
being generated by activated sensors..

gripping for any length of time will
cause recruitment of other muscles
in response to the gripping action
incl as lactic acid builds up due to
ongoing muscle activity..
ie, not only muscles of forearm
which move fingers will be active
but radiating muscle activity thru
shoulders, shoulder blades and into
chest and anciliary muscles of breathing,
will all be effected thru sustained gripping..

bottom line of this natural predictable sequence
of muscle tensioning includes influencing
breathing [or ease of it] and to some extent
potential for nice easy rhythmic heartbeat..

the more aware brain is of something
[thru sensors etc] the more it is felt..

one solution for predictable effects of holding
something for extended periods, esp gripping,
is to change position of fingers, palms, wrists,
arms, shoulders, neck etc, thus the muscles
operating their joints in movement..
this effectively rests the tense muscles..

softly moving fingers and shaking wrists [for eg]
can release tension buildup around those joints
and their muscles.. even just stretching fingers
outward still resting palms on bars will help..

sometimes i just lift both arms up
in a V shape for a yawn type stretch..

whatever you are doing tho, given normal
vibration etc, it is always much better
to not, grip the bars, as members note..
there is no need to grip the bars
in general road riding..

even hand braking can be reduced
by practicing engine braking..
smooth clutch control needs only
momentary short finger movement..

if youre not actually doing anything
you are at liberty to relax your hands
and just rest them on the grips..
throttle will still be under control..

in traffic awareness of relative position
and stopping distances etc can reduce
brake and clutch lever use..
ie, rest muscles doing that action..

by all means try out gel grips etc,
but aside from some external factor
causing excessive vibrations,
it does come down to managment
of joints and muscles in the task..
or 'how you ride the motorcycle'..

relaxed, not tense, is easiest
and most enjoyable..

#26 ·
Back in prehistoric times, when all motorcycles vibrated, handgrips were designed to reduce vibration. Take a look at the OEM grips n Norton commandos and other British twins. Then game engine balancers, bar snakes and bar end weights. OEM comfort grips are now a thing of the past.

I found the OEM Honda grips both too hard and too small a diameter. I bought a set of Cheap Chinese foam overgrips ($5) off Ebay. I like them because they are easier to get my large hands around, and they are soft and easy to grip. Much cheaper than aftermarket grips.

If a motorcycle comes with bar end weights from the manufacturer, you can be certain they are there for a reason. Manufacturers don't give anything away in a competitive market. Bar weights change the resonant frequency of the bars and thus reduce vibration. Years ago I changed the OEM bar weights on my Aprilia for a set by MAW (I think). These had a feature where one weight had a key lock and was removable. It acted as a helmet holder. Simply remove weight, slide D ring on the bar, then reinstall weight. It also would hold a riding jacket if you slid one arm on the bar before adding the helmet. Much more convenient than the semi-useless helmet holder on the CBR.

#28 · (Edited)
Something to possibly consider concerning handlebar vibration.

Along with the bar end weight there is a larger internal bar weight
also. It is located into position with tabbed ring #3 and two rubber
star shaped cushions #4 then secured with the screw that goes
thru the end weight and into the end of the internal weight.

You said your bike has no end weights which would indicate that
the internal weight is not rigidly secured. Possibly over time the
internal weight has loosened and has started to vibrate.

Not saying that is what is happening but maybe it is something
to think about.

See the pic for the assembly illustration.

#29 · (Edited)
Yeah I noticed there was an internal bar weight when I looked up replacing the end weights. I think when I'm looking into the bar all I see is the end of number 5, the thing thats like a semi circle. So I guess I'm missing 4 and 3. Im definitely gonna just replace the bar ends when I can get to the dealer. I was pretty unsuccessful in trying to work out which non OEM bar ends would fit the bike…

Thanks

#30 ·
Ok this is turning into a farce… I got the bar end weights and they actually made things worse! I now feel hefty vibrations that come on around 2.5 to 3.5 revs, especially when closing the throttle, and seem to go away at the higher end (opposite to before really). Its almost like an Xbox controller just rumbling at certain times.

Any ideas? One thing that might be worth mentioning is that one bar end is far from being flush, I mean its screwed in tight but theres a big gap between it and the bar. How would I adjust the internal weight position?

Also I've been putting off an engine oil change, could this be a factor just in creating general buzz?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#31 ·
You purchased the bike used and it did not have bar ends on it
at that time. You don't know why they they had been removed.
You also don't know what else may have been done.

When you installed new factory bar ends they don't seat in the
proper position which would suggest that the internal bar weights
are no longer in the proper position. With vibrations still present
perhaps the internal cushion rings are missing.

Something obviously is wrong with the bar weight assembly and
should be disassembled and inspected. This can be done at home
but the shop manual is almost necessary for the proper procedure
sequence. The other choice is to take into a Honda dealer and have
them look at it.

It just seem like the original owner some how screwed it up and
couldn't even get the bar end weight back on so he took the other
bar end weight off to make it look the same.

#32 · (Edited)
Yeah you're right its definitely fishy that they were off to begin with, and it looks like the internal weight could be out of place slightly. I took it to the dealer when I bought the new ends and they said that it looked like everything was there but the ends, although they didnt really inspect it much. I'll take it back and ask if they thing the position is off.

I just wondered if there was any way of moving the internal weight without disassembling everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.