Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty specific to my experience on tour in Java yesterday. I went up to the rim of a caldera of a volcano which had erupted last year. The roads were ok, but on some dips and flats there were deposits of what I thought was ordinary sand which were washed in by the constant rain. Last night at the lodge parking lot I was giving the bike the once over and realized that it was volcanic ash residue, lots of shiny little bits (silicate). The staff helped me wash what we could out of the chain and brake discs. These guys then told me that since the eruption they have been going thru brake discs like crazy (changing once every two months!!). As soon as I get a chance I am going to get the bike to professional wash to get whats left blasted out with water jets or whatever they're called. Any tips/thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd change oil and air filter, clean and lube chain and simply wash the bike.

Not sure that pressure washer would do any good and maybe could drive the little pieces into places you don't want them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kflaig, you might have a point about the pressure. Not sure about air and oil filter, The stuff was wet (was riding through rain), lying on the road, not airborne at all. But will be getting it serviced when I get back and will ask the Honda mechanic.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Inspect the air filter at least, None will have got in the oil.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inspect the air filter at least, None will have got in the oil.
Yeah, just got a bit of time on my stopover to pull it out and have a look. No ash but weirdly in one corner there is some sticky black stuff which I think is tar. At one point on the north coast of Java a bunch of other bikes and i were overtaking a line of trucks when we all suddenly realised roadworkers were laying down some more asphalt (no warning signs of course, welcome to Asia), so we were riding on barely dry tar. So that seems to be it, no ash on the filter. Will get it changed once i get home after tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts