Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some warmer gloves. Most of my gear is good to go for the cold, but my hands suffer immensely. The gloves I have now allow a lot of air flow while at least to my eye offering decent protection. Any suggestions? I would prefer that the gloves offer decent road protection in addition to weather insulation. I know the electric stuff is nice, but its expensive, and really I have a hard time understanding whether they work without the other pieces I don't need, like the jacket.
What have you guys found to work?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can't really help out too much, I just got my first pair of real riding gloves so my goatskin workgloves can go back to being work gloves. I've seen some motorcycles equipped with hand guards that act as wind deflectors to keep cold air and/or brush off the hands, that may help keep your hands a bit warmer. Not sure how they'd look on a cbr250 though.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Although it costs a few $$ have you considered heated grips? In the long run, they are not that expensive, especially compared to good thermo leather gloves and grip accessories to block wind?

Reactions: benh972

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There are three things to consider when choosing a winter warm hands strategy:

1) Duration of the ride
2) Outside temperature
3) Budget

Obviously, the longer the ride and/or the colder the temperature, the more challenging the problem becomes.

When it comes to passive (non-heated) gear, two things are important:

1) Amount of insulation
2) Wind blocking

A huge amount of insulation will become bulky and make it hard to operate the controls. I've found that a moderate amount of insulation plus effective wind protection is a good approach.

If your existing gloves are already pretty warm but not warm enough, you might try the MotoCentric Overtrek rain overmitts. I have these and it is amazing how much warmer your hands will be in the gloves you already have. Yes you look like you have lobster claws but hey, you'll be a toasty lobster! :) They are just a thin windproof layer.

If your current gloves are not warm, I can recommend Icon Patrol waterproof gloves. Because they are waterproof (actually, they aren't but most "waterproof" gear...isn't) they shed wind and they do have decent insulation.

If you want to ride for longer periods or colder temperatures, you really can't do without heated grips, heated gloves, or heated glove liners.

I use the Powerlet RapidFIRe glove liners inside my Icon Patrol gloves. I bought the gloves one size larger to allow room for the liners. The kit is about USD $100. They heat the back of your hands and between the fingers.

Heated grips are great but to be honest heated glove liners are better. You have to squeeze the heated grips to get the heat to flow and they do nothing for your fingers when they are using the clutch and brake. If you can afford both heated grips and heated liners...that is the perfect situation: heat on palms and on backs of hands / between fingers. You can ride for hours...something else will get cold before your hands complain. Here is my thread on the Bikemaster universal heated grip kit. Heated grips are great though for that shorter ride when your hands feel a chill and you're not wearing your warmer gloves or heated liners. You just click them on and get enough heat to finish the ride in relative comfort.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Gauntlet leathers with Thinsulate insulation are fine for my 45 minute+ commute. Longer than that, and a reusable handwarmer tucked on top of my hand does the trick. $35 total investment.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The Icon Patrol are the best value for a foul weather glove. Heated glove liners are a must if you ride more than 1/2 hour. Are you commuting? Plug in gear is expensive but you will leave the car home more often if you have it. You can run the glove liner wiring down your jacket and clip it with some safety pins if you don't want to shell out for a jacket liner which has the wires for your hands built in. I use a full set of Venture Heat liners and can ride 45 minutes to work at 25F.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the input. I live in Texas, so it does not get stupid cold often. However lately its been really nice out during the day 60'sF or 70'sF. However at night or in the morning its been in the 30's or 40's. I have a very good heat tolerance, but not so good with the cold. I mostly just commute on my bike. I live on the edge between suburbia and the sticks. So any trip more than 15 miles, I am looking at the highway. Its mostly my fingers I have issues with, I start to lose feeling in them other than pain. Then it can take a good while for them to get normal again once I am at my destination.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some liners for my current gloves. If they work, great! If not I might pick up a pair of those patrol gloves, or those BILTS to go over them. I have thought about heated grips. I want to try and warm up with gear first though, because that will carry over if I add another bike to my stable or decide I want a different bike later down the road. I love my Maya, but she came to me with some scars. I might want something newer later once I have more experience protecting and caring for a bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input. I live in Texas, so it does not get stupid cold often. However lately its been really nice out during the day 60'sF or 70'sF. However at night or in the morning its been in the 30's or 40's. I have a very good heat tolerance, but not so good with the cold. I mostly just commute on my bike. I live on the edge between suburbia and the sticks. So any trip more than 15 miles, I am looking at the highway. Its mostly my fingers I have issues with, I start to lose feeling in them other than pain. Then it can take a good while for them to get normal again once I am at my destination.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on some liners for my current gloves. If they work, great! If not I might pick up a pair of those patrol gloves, or those BILTS to go over them. I have thought about heated grips. I want to try and warm up with gear first though, because that will carry over if I add another bike to my stable or decide I want a different bike later down the road. I love my Maya, but she came to me with some scars. I might want something newer later once I have more experience protecting and caring for a bike.
If you go with the hotwired they may only last a year or two but ive never had a problem with a exchange, I just take them in and they give me a new pair.
I DO NOT trust cyclegears helmets or jackets though from previous experiences.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I have a pair of "hippo hands" that were made by a company in Europe somewhere. Tucano Urbano

Tucano R321N is the tag inside one of them.

This particular model is NLA (Why?).

I used an off-brand of HH back in the 80's when I rode my sidecar rig all winter, in Indiana. They do the trick.
I have a pair of battery operated heated gloves that I bought for snow blowing, and they are bulky as all get out, and would be dangerous on a motorcycle.

This pair of Tucanos that I have are perfect for the CBR250R. They have attachment points that slip over the bar-end weights to hold them in place at speed (so as to not compress either the clutch or brake levers).
They have a weird metal strap that connects the two, across the handlebar, that makes them hard for a casual thief to take them off of your bike.
They are made for a bike with fairing mounted mirrors, as they have no opening for mirror stalks on the handlebar.

They cost me just shy of $100 to have them shipped from England (Urban Rider) in 2013.
Other than some dust and spider webs, they are like new.

Should be easier (and cheaper) to ship than a muffler...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts