Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys; need your advice. I let the oil level get low. One morning my bike wouldn't start. Called Honda and they took it away. Told me the oil level got too low and the engine is "Totaled".
They referred me to the users manual which says check oil level "before each ride" (p.55). Well, ok, but I have had 3 previous Honda's and they never leaked or burned a drop of oil between regular maintenance. The shop changed the oil/filter every 300 miles or so, on this bike, and all my previous Hondas, and it always still indicated FULL.
On this bike the oil seems to have gone from FULL to dangerously LOW in about 300 miles, suddenly, by burning the oil (there was never a drop on the ground)
Should I fight this as a warranty issue (burning a tank of oil so rapidly), or should I pay for a new engine? If the engine is truly scrapped I'll probably scrap the bike and upgrade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm assuming that the bike somewhere says check owners manual before riding.. and if so you would of known that the oil level was low and would have prevented the totaled engine so I believe you would have to pay for the engine, unless your insurance covers thus you should of down a pre-trip inspection of your Honda;

Note; I have no knowledge what so ever with Motorcycles, but a Pre/post-trip inspection should be done before driving anything just my honest opinion

Just my .02 Cents

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You are getting it changed it every 300 miles for some reason?

-Are you racing? , if so some dealers may void warranty.
-The dealer is doing the changes for you, what oil are they using?
-How many KM on the bike?
-How many oil changes?

Its very easy to overfill or underfill the oil level on this bike, must be started then cool down for a minute or 2 and check while upright.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Have you kept paper work and/or log of oil changes/km? This might help in your decision. A trail of paper work can come in handy.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If you are saying you had it serviced at a Honda dealer 300 miles ago and now they say the oil is dangerously low and the engine is junk, I'd produce the invoice with the mileage and fight any attempt to dismiss the issue.

If that's the case, most likely the dealership screwed-up. I don't think Honda could argue that the oil level shouldn't drop from full to empty in 300 miles if the engine was operating properly and serviced correctly.

Did you confirm the level when you got it back from the dealership? If not, it's partially your fault for assuming everything was done properly.

If it was burning a quart of oil in 300 mi I would expect to see a significant blue cloud most of the time, and if it was, the engine had major damage before running low on oil this time.

Jay

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
How does the shop know that the engine wasn't going bad DURING your last ride which caused it to burn it's oil. If you have receipts from an oil change that is less than the specified oil change interval, you weren't late, you should tell them that you did check it before your last successful ride and it was fine. Then, when you went to ride it this time, it wouldn't start because IT has burned up all it's oil in one trip. My bike only uses 150cc every 3,000 miles. From the high mark in the window, to the low mark. That's all. You should easily get this warrantied especially if you had a shop doing regular oil changes. Tell them to look in the muffler. It is probably full of oil.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Must be a typo, and means 3000 or 30,000 miles?.
Mines uses nothing despite severe pillaging in 40 degree heat.. mind you I use Hondas recommended 10-30w oil.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i have had mine changed at 500 miles..then i changed myself at 3800 miles..My oil level has never dropped yet....i did notice the rear brake fluid is halfway between full and low mark today when i did my "PRE RIDE INSPECTION..AKA ..TIRE PRESSURE & FLUIDS level CHECK) I too think 300 is a typo...regardless maybe the filled the oil low to begin with at last change and you never checked it...heck, my dealer tried to give me 3 quarts of oil when i went to buy the stuff to change my own..even tried to argue with me when i insisted i only needed 2..lol sounds like your screwed to me dude..guess you'll be upgrading soon....I would run out the appeals process with Honda though before giving up

·
Registered
172 Posts
3600 on mine since the first service, 4200 total miles. Oil is still at the full mark. Not much darker than new oil out of the bottle. Getting ready to change it with amzoil motorcycle oil.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
385 Posts
This bike isn't at all like my old Nighthawk. It seems not to burn any oil. If you were losing enough oil over hundreds or even a thousand miles to wreck the engine I would think you'd be seeing it and smelling it. I sure did when the Nighthawk hadn't been started in over a month and temps were in the 30's or 40's.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry to say it but i think your screwed. It will all come back to the fact that you should have checked it. Dont know why it would be low doesnt make sence. Good luck hope im wrong

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Rick should give us more detailed information than this since he's hitting the internet with it.
Its a Honda, its bulletproof, it has a warranty and would take an extreme case of buffoonery to use its oil in 300 miles.

·
Registered
636 Posts
did my own oil change a few months ago, and the oil level on my bike was low as well..i rode it a couple of times and i made it a point to check the oil level every time i rode. today i just added a little bit more oil and it is showing a perfect level..maybe the dealer didnt add enough oil after the oil changes..i hope you have enough of an arguement and a paper trail so that honda reimburses you..it seems a two way street. where as the dealer serviced your bike, but if you noticed te oil level was extremely low then you should not have ridden and been up the dealer's ass as to why your bike is going thru oil so quickly..good luck..

·
Registered
999 Posts
Guys; need your advice. I let the oil level get low. One morning my bike wouldn't start. Called Honda and they took it away. Told me the oil level got too low and the engine is "Totaled".
They referred me to the users manual which says check oil level "before each ride" (p.55). Well, ok, but I have had 3 previous Honda's and they never leaked or burned a drop of oil between regular maintenance. The shop changed the oil/filter every 300 miles or so, on this bike, and all my previous Hondas, and it always still indicated FULL.
On this bike the oil seems to have gone from FULL to dangerously LOW in about 300 miles, suddenly, by burning the oil (there was never a drop on the ground)
Should I fight this as a warranty issue (burning a tank of oil so rapidly), or should I pay for a new engine? If the engine is truly scrapped I'll probably scrap the bike and upgrade.
The fact that you've had good previous experience with Honda is irrelevant. No two bikes are the same.
You should always check the oil. At least every couple of days.

Getting so low within 3000 miles is definitely not right and you might have a shot at a warranty claim but...

It is sort of up to the owner to check the oil level and to notice problems (like level dropping quickly) so he or she can get it remedied before damage occurs.

Oil burning (assuming bike had a proper break-in) is a definite problem on Honda's part.
Not checking the oil at least a couple times a week is pure negligence.

I apologize if I sound like a dick but serious situations require serious typing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Correction, oil changes every 3000 miles.
Update; dealer said the engine was clogged with carbon, and compression was only 8:1. I insisted they fix everything under warranty; then they came back and said, oh, its just low on oil. They topped it off, it started and I drove it off the dealership.
This morning, it won't start AGAIN. This time no spark, dials and lights illuminate but engine won't turn over.
I believe this was not a simple case of letting the oil get low.
AGAIN tomorrow the dealer is coming out to pick up the bike. This time I'm demanding a loaner bike.
Thanks for all the helpful replies you all..:D

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^feelin bad for you dude. Hope you get matters sorted out. Keep us up to date on what Honda finds out. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts