Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Looks like the weep hole for the water pump. If it's leaking the pump needs replaced.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Make sure it's not just coolant from the overflow tube and is actually coming from the fuel pump. Not sure where the overflow tube is on the CBR, but on my Ninja250 it was below the bike right next to the gas overflow tube. A lot of new owners were puzzled when they'd find a small puddle under the bike at times, but it's normal.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The question to ask is, "How much is the leakage?" Although "none" would be the ideal answer, the manual makes reference to a small amount of seepage being normal from the weep hole if it's just a drop or two when the bike is shut down. But, if it weeps more than that in a continual fashion, then the pump seal needs to be replaced. Bear in mind, my water pump weep hole sported a drop of coolant after every ride. The dealer replaced the mechanical seal and shafts, but it still drips a drop of coolant every so often, sometimes catching the wind and depositing the splatter on the small metal muffler trim behind the plastic under cowl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently Taiwan has a CBR250R back to the dealer replace the water seals, however, is still a little leakage

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pump seals shouldnt leak. I been working on pumps for 20 years, if they drip or leak eventually they will just go out. Weep holes are there to let you know its time to place the seal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
this just happened to me on my way home, noticed puddle when stopped at a red, then again, then when i got home it's all dumped out of that little hole in the pic above, splattered all over the underside and my back tire... arf. took off fairings, checked coolant, it's pretty much empty... dealer time... again...

Question: is it safe to put water in the coolant tank and ride to get it to the dealer? Or do I have to ride there with a jug of coolant on my back and refill every few clicks?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Get it there using water. The engine should be drainable (I used the connection below the oil filter when I decided that my new, used, NX250 needed to have new proper coolant for my peace of mind).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had it towed. My warranty covers that anyway. I called my dealer we figured given I had to run 30km all highway it probably wasn't a good idea on water if it is still coughing it up.

Now it's just wait and see what's up. I'm assuming it's under warranty, it's only a few months old now and only 4k on the odo.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Well, you sure can't argue with free transport.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Another bad water pump seal...
My bike only has 5000km and all the coolant drained while I was riding causing engine to overheat. The mechanic was very surprised for this to happened at only 5000km. He also said that the water impeller had slight play in it and he suggested changing the bearings along with the seal.
The problem is that this happened 300km from my home in another province. I had to take a bus home and I will be able to pick up the bike on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Another bad water pump seal...
My bike only has 5000km and all the coolant drained while I was riding causing engine to overheat. The mechanic was very surprised for this to happened at only 5000km. He also said that the water impeller had slight play in it and he suggested changing the bearings along with the seal.
The problem is that this happened 300km from my home in another province. I had to take a bus home and I will be able to pick up the bike on the weekend.
Check this out.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/11256-radiator-fluid-leaking-water-pump.html

I've had 2 attempted fixes, and it hasn't stopped. My most recent fix I pulled in with 1 leak and left with 3. Now they want to replace the same part they just replaced a couple days ago.

Its a very annoying leak.. I haven't had mine leak all out yet, But I do lose a lot of fluid and have to always add more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts