Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm disappointed that most of the posts in this thread aren't relevant. I'd genuinely like to find out ways to get better mileage. For those getting better than the advertised 77mpg there are 5 people getting significantly worse. I average 65mpg and would love to get 75. I'm already taking it easy, shifting at 6K, coast at times, etc and would be curious to know what else there is or what is a realistic expectation.

For those that have the "don't think, just ride hard" attitude, well... I'm disappointed.

Instead, why settle for good enough when you can be great?
I hear ya. I'm not getting GREAT mileage by any means (69-71) but I used to get 62-66. Only change in my riding style has been to accelerate faster but short shifting. In other words, pin it during take off and get to 6th as fast as possible. Other than that i'm thinking that maybe the bike is finally breaking in at 3k miles and I did switch to 10w40 mobil1 full synthetic and a K&N oil filter at 3k which may or may not have an effect.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Man they need moderaters around here. so many b.s. posts here. Cant even stick to fucin topic. everytime i come here to this site someones always off topic. go somewere else you if guys cant stick to a topic. LIKE OFF TOPIC.

Dudman . I,m doing 35 in 6th gear. Bike runs fine. I also get to the speed limit in a short time. And i have after market exhaust. I've removed 15lbs from bike so far. Bike hasnt been below 78 mpg for along time. Maybe when its nice out will try for 90mpg. shouldnt be a problem if i try.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Man they need moderaters around here. so many b.s. posts here. Cant even stick to fucin topic. everytime i come here to this site someones always off topic. go somewere else you if guys cant stick to a topic. LIKE OFF TOPIC.
You should resurrect my "where are the moderators?" thread from about a year ago. Lol. I hear ya, it's hard to share and sometimes even find useful info sometimes when everyone's answer is "read the f*ing manual" or "buy a service manual" or as of lately "why don't you plasti-dip it?" Really wish the moderators would moderate and stickies would be nice too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am glad you mentioned this. I ended up not getting the CBR for now but think its a great bike and solid choice. I read the threads to see how its going for folks and how the forum progresses.

Its sad that the forum is in many instances not helpful as in this thread.

A poster asked a good question (actually at the heart of why the CBR is a good choice)) and dumb remark after dumb remark follow.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
To the last three posts regarding "where are the moderators?":

FACT: DudeBoy started this thread with nothing more than the same old rhetoric he has put forth in dozens of of other posts, in numerous other threads. He has an uncanny ability to stir the pot, and push buttons. It's what he does best, and he knows it.

FACT: DudeBoy likes to argue with those who do not care for his particular flavor of "kool-aid". He was called out by a moderator (Luke) not long ago for trolling in another thread. Ironic, since he is real quick to label others as "trolls", just because they happen to disagree with him. I happen to be one of those lucky few he has given the title of "troll" to.

FACT: DudeBoy is seeking attention and approval here. Nothing would make him happier than if more people were to lap up his particular brand of Bull Sh!t with a big old spoon. I'm fairly sure that it is a big disappointment to him that very few here have run out and bought cans of Plasti-Dip to cover their motorcycles with, particularly with the number of replies and views those threads received.

What has become disappointing here is that DudeBoy continues to do his "thing", posting up what amounts to utter nonsense from someone who knows next to nothing of the subject of motorcycles.

As far as the moderators go... I'm just guessing here, maybe they've just washed their hands of him and figure he'll get what he has coming when people call him on his crap, as more and more have been doing just that.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Can we get back to talking about ways to increase MPG folks.....

·
745 Posts
im pretty new to the forum...
Seems like you would want to get significantly past the 4-post mark before you start posting attacks on other members - this type of new member is usually what Dudeman suggests, an existing member who a) doesn't have the balls to confront someone directly, or b) thinks that any support, even bogus support, makes him right.

I don't care if you disagree with someone - but put on your big-boy pants when you do it. point out why he (or anyone) is incorrect - evidence and supporting data is helpful.

Luke

·
Registered
49 Posts
10,000 miles life expectancy forCBR?

Are you serious? Only 10,000 miles? You're kidding, right? I've seen some pretty crazy sh!t written on this site, and this is right up there.
This is off topic, sorry.

I am not talking about build quality of the CBR. I am talking about what will actually happen, in real life, to the average bike. Given average human behavior.

Its true. Most bikes that get sold in this country don't get ridden. They are worthless after a few owners, a few crashes, and no maintenance, having been left outside all year. Unlike cars.

I bought mine 1 year old with 480 miles on it. It was fortunately kept in a storage shed so was new looking. But PO did not ride it much, got bored with it and let it sit. That person has young kids and a career so has little time to ride.

So 10,000 is my estimate of average life.

If you want a different quote, then any particular CBR will last almost forever if owned and operated by someone who actually rides it in real life (given 1 million other things to do) and cares for it properly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
throttle stop

I did not read every post, but here goes, on topic.

How about adjusting the throttle stop so you can't go over say 3/4 throttle. That will limit the gas sprayed into engine for sure. More MPG.

I wont do it to my bike.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have an idea; how 'bout don't be a condescending jerk to DudeMan or anyone else here? This transcends motorcycles. Don't be that guys who talks down to "noobs", just don't comment on people's posts if you don't have anything to add. If you find a mistake, be polite when correcting it. Everyone is a beginner at everything they do in the beginning. In my view, the constant "flaming" is an embarrassment to this forum.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

How about adjusting the throttle stop so you can't go over say 3/4 throttle. That will limit the gas sprayed into engine for sure. More MPG.

I wont do it to my bike.
That could get you squashed in traffic.

Taking a fairly slow cycle and intentionally neutering it isn't a good idea IMO.

Putting yourself in danger by trying to increase mileage isn't a good trade-off. If you have the opportunity, and the desire, go for maximum mileage whenever you can - but not when your technique puts you (or others) in danger on the road.

Jay

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This is off topic, sorry.

I am not talking about build quality of the CBR. I am talking about what will actually happen, in real life, to the average bike. Given average human behavior.

Its true. Most bikes that get sold in this country don't get ridden. They are worthless after a few owners, a few crashes, and no maintenance, having been left outside all year. Unlike cars.

I bought mine 1 year old with 480 miles on it. It was fortunately kept in a storage shed so was new looking. But PO did not ride it much, got bored with it and let it sit. That person has young kids and a career so has little time to ride.

So 10,000 is my estimate of average life.

If you want a different quote, then any particular CBR will last almost forever if owned and operated by someone who actually rides it in real life (given 1 million other things to do) and cares for it properly.

That makes more sense. It just sounded like a build quality issue before. It's a bit sad to see these unridden bikes. 480 miles is rideable in one day!:eek: But don't think everyone's like that! Some of us actually ride. I don't even drive a car now so all my motor vehicle miles are via bike. Also those 1 million other things to do are lame compared to riding.:p

Fingers crossed for 100k on this bike. I rode more than 11k last year.:) Some people here have ridden even more than that.

I wont do it to my bike.

lol wut:confused:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Can we get back to talking about ways to increase MPG folks.....
Sendler and bungie4 pretty have most if not all of the techniques covered here. Both sendler and TX_Dj have linked to ecomodders. Read through those tips and think about it. They work if you are hoping to break 80MPG.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/3017-hypermiling-small-street-bike.html

Another great thread to report and discuss gas mileage.:)

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/299-gas-mileage-cbr250r-55.html

·
745 Posts
With all of the "troll" accusations flying around, some might be well-advised to revisit the words of Shakespeare, i.e. "Methinks thou dost protest too much." (yeah, that's paraphrasing the original line, but hopefully you get my drift...)

Hey, I have a novel suggestion - well, it's really not novel, it's been suggested a number of times, but so far no takers - why don't you guys put each other on ignore and spare yourself the agony of interaction? That does seem like the best option at this point....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Like "the squid" on that Nickelodeon cartoon, Rocket Power? They bust on him, but he's still one of them.

Also killing my MPG's...
Average speed: 70 MPH
Weight of me & GF: 330 LBS
Yep.

When I am carrying a passenger on the highway, my MPGs are right around where yours are.

Uh oh....I am getting older if people are making Rocket Power references and I'm getting them.

I say Luke is Reggie since he's always making nice between everyone else.:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sense some bad mojo here lol Every needs to take a chill pill and listen to Luke about ignoring the users you don't agree with key word... A LOT. Not agreeing with a couple of times probably doesn't justify ignoring but no one is forcing anyone else to view their specific posts on these specific users that 99/100 times don't agree with. I motion for DudeMan and MotoMike to start the chain of events :D And this is where I, the guy who calls for peace, gets the most tomatoes thrown at him and then I refer to my picture on the left. Donut Panic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to have gotten off topic....as far as mpg goes i have about 2200 miles on my bike and last time i really calculated my mpg i was getting about 71. I dont coast or anything like that and i do alot of freeway riding. I just roll on the throttle and i keep the rmps around 6 or 7.... it seems to be working pretty good

·
Registered
226 Posts
"Do I think it matters on a CBR which will probably go 10,000 miles? Maybe not. On a car for 200,000? Yes, if you care about these things. Otherwise no."

Uh oh. You mean I have to buy a CBR250R every 18 months or so. Common. It's a Honda and who likes setting up a bike and tuning it to the way you want it just in time to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
1,305 Posts
Aight guys,

I'm getting fed up having to come through your posts and edit them to hide abusive high school pissing contest crap.

We've asked you nicely to ignore the other members that you do not see eye to eye with, this it appears has fallen on deaf ears.

from now on, your posts will be deleted

61 - 80 of 114 Posts