Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm going to try 2 psi more air pressure in tires, and to compensate I'll move the shock spring to softest, and I'll keep trying to locate a 15T sprocket. Otherwise love the bike.
Keep in mind of course, as tire pressure increases, contact patch diameter decreases, decreasing braking/cornering traction.

As for the 15T, contact sendler if you've not already, he apparently has one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did some fuel economy testing yesterday. One at 65 mph and another at 45. I drove about a 50 mile loop with very little stop and go, and no hills. Here are the results:
The 65mph run the engine was turning around 6500 rpm (I have a 36t rear sprocket) and I got 59.6 mpg.
The 45 mph run the engine turned between 3800 and 4500 rpm and gave me 101.9 mpg.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I did some fuel economy testing yesterday. One at 65 mph and another at 45. I drove about a 50 mile loop with very little stop and go, and no hills. Here are the results:
The 65mph run the engine was turning around 6500 rpm (I have a 36t rear sprocket) and I got 59.6 mpg.
The 45 mph run the engine turned between 3800 and 4500 rpm and gave me 101.9 mpg.
Looks like you had an over fill/ under fill type of error. The 65 mph run should have been much higher. Also, 50 miles is a short trial where any fill errors will be magnified.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
No errors
Something doesn't add up... your 65 mph run should have netted at least 70 MPG, maybe even into the mid 70's. I agree with sendler, a 50 mile test distance is pretty short. A 100 mile distance would be better, in terms of accuracy. I typically refuel at about 150 miles (elapsed on the trip meter), and I'm seeing MPG's between 75 and 80, on a pretty consistent basis, with speeds in the 50 to 70 mph range. That said, I can't nit pick the fuel mileage too much, as that would detract from my enjoyment of pegging the needle on the Fun Scale of this motorcycle.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Something doesn't add up... your 65 mph run should have netted at least 70 MPG, maybe even into the mid 70's. I agree with sendler, a 50 mile test distance is pretty short. A 100 mile distance would be better, in terms of accuracy. I typically refuel at about 150 miles (elapsed on the trip meter), and I'm seeing MPG's between 75 and 80, on a pretty consistent basis, with speeds in the 50 to 70 mph range. That said, I can't nit pick the fuel mileage too much, as that would detract from my enjoyment of pegging the needle on the Fun Scale of this motorcycle.:D
It was windy that day, I'm sure that had something to do with it. I just got done with a 162 mile run where I averaged 84.3 mpg. I tried to keep the speed between 50 and 55 mph, but slowed down a couple times through town.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does anyone know if the gas mileage on your current tank is dependent on the gas mileage you got on the previous tank? Or could you get 50mpg after a week riding in the city followed by 70 mpg riding strictly highways?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am digging the views

Preface:

First, I want to say I love this forum and all the input, helpful or otherwise. Contrasting viewpoints, regardless of their position make for a well-rounded discussion. That is what makes the United States the strongest in the world.

Second, I realize that I have been working on myself. I am still learning, about everything. One of the things that I have been guilty of myself is what forums are great for encouraging. Movies and TV have made one-liners and other attempts at being cool rampant, especially in forums where the anonymity of online inflates egos. This thread as with any other thread, is full of one-liners and witty retorts, such as “drive it like you stole it,” without offering anything more than a display of coolness.

However, as I said at the start, the contrasting views make for an awesome, enlightening conversation. There is a wealth of information, even among the inexperienced. It is certainly a challenge to not throw away the wheat with the chaff, when immature comments are made. To clarify, the immature comments are assuredly not limited to the inexperienced.

This thread is awesome. There are some good inputs here. I wanted to quote a few, but when I got to three and four+, I just decided to write a new one. The idea of high-MPG on a bike is a double-edged sword. Higher mileage is great, but it is not natural to not ride it like a bike. I mean, c’mon.

Saying that, I am still learning, like I said before. I have been coasting more, not with the engine off, and being mindful of the smoothness of my riding style.

I am 6’2”/188cm, 180 lbs/82 kilos. Like someone else said, I have yet to get the 70+ that so many others have claimed. I also “ride it like I stole it.” However, since I am still learning, I see how it is possible. I have a few years of bike-riding experience, but certainly no expert. A sport bike is a new one for me. The RPM range is unlike any other vehicle.

Someone else post a link to these tips. The first handful of items are fluff, IMO, but there is a wealth of good stuff here. There are also a few items that just aren’t practical, especially on a bike. It’s well worth the few minutes it takes to read it.

100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

I am still anxiously learning and digging the views of you guys. I hope to post a 70+ mpg result soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm looking at mpg from more of a financial standpoint than a "saving the world" standpoint. With that in mind, I don't see a big deal with even increasing mpg by 10. Heres an equation for annual gas savings:

(annual miles) * (1/(other vehicle mpg) - 1/(cbr mpg)) * (average gas price)

For me, I'm looking at about 14,000 miles per year, the cbr gets minimum 66 mpg, my WRX gets 22 mpg, and gas is $2.75 a gallon in Colorado right now. If I figure $3 average over the year I get $1272 savings. If the cbr got 76 mpg it moves up to $1356.

Meh, not a big deal. The majority of my savings come from avoiding depreciation on my car and putting it on the $4000 cbr anyway. I'd rather beat the absolute piss out of the bike and not worry about $85 a year.

That said, if you ARE trying to save the world - hypermile away my friends. It's cool, just not something I want to do myself.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
Riding "comfortably" works for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got 77mpg before I installed a one tooth larger front sprocket. Now I love the way the bike commutes and cruises at lower rpm. And with 6 gears I can always down shift for acceleration and whenever I feel like driving it like a Ferrari. For me I would say that the gearing is now perfect, whereas I felt that the factory gearing was low so that beginners do not stall the bike. And then I installed a digital devise that corrects the speedometer. I need to get a reading now on mpg but I definitely feel that it is better than stock. I know that I don't have to put gas in very often.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@redfan, good for you! I also installed a 15t front sprocket recently ( from a 13t ) and agree with the improvement for my purposes( better freeway cruising and better fuel economy). The CBR pulls the taller gearing easily so I will be changing the rear to a 36t sprocket. I got 88 mpg with the 13t and I should be breaking 100 mpg pretty soon.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts