Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my CBR250R Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) and Timing Chain replaced at ~20k mile. Both are using original parts (KYJ parts).

But... 5 months later, the CCT failed. So i replaced it with manual tensioner. So far so good. But now i kinda hear a bit of rattling sound again. Sound where your CCT or timing chain get loose.

I've read this: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-problems-issues/62529-cam-chain-tensioner-dying.html.

And same issue happen to me. I surprised how weak the quality of Honda CCT. The original that came with the bike last years (cbrlocal CBR250R hold until ~28.300 miles). But the replacement one... meh.

My mechanic told me to use the CBR300R CCT (the K33 part). The CBR250R is weak (KYJ part).

Any of you guys have the same problem ?
Should i replace the timing chain ? Although it barely only been use for ~6 months ?

Can't believe Honda quality...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Should i replace the timing chain ? Although it barely only been use for ~6 months ?

Can't believe Honda quality...
I wouldn't think you would need to.

Over-tensioning of the chain would cause more wear and stretching than under-tensioning I would expect.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Your timing chain should be fine.

If you do the conversion to a manual one with the Lowes hardware in my tutorial (in your other post), all you would need to do is tighten the bolt just a hair to take out the slack and the noise will be gone. The beauty of a manual tensioner is you can go by feel and sound to get it just perfect. But, this does require a very tiny bit of attention as it will not automatically adjust, and if you go ham on it, you can over tighten it and damage your engine.

As long as you dial it in by ear, problem permanently fixed for near nothing. :) Basically, if it rattles or clicks, it's too loose. If it whines after adjustment, it's likely too tight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your timing chain should be fine.

If you do the conversion to a manual one with the Lowes hardware in my tutorial (in your other post), all you would need to do is tighten the bolt just a hair to take out the slack and the noise will be gone. The beauty of a manual tensioner is you can go by feel and sound to get it just perfect. But, this does require a very tiny bit of attention as it will not automatically adjust, and if you go ham on it, you can over tighten it and damage your engine.

As long as you dial it in by ear, problem permanently fixed for near nothing. :) Basically, if it rattles or clicks, it's too loose. If it whines after adjustment, it's likely too tight.
Say, and if the cct won't adjust either way?? Tried and it just wouldn't move. I hace some rattle noise as a accelerate from 4k and on ,on any gear. Idles fine though. I also hear a knock/slap kinda right after letting off the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts