Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather man said nothing about snow when I checked last night. Looked at the thermometer this morning. 35F and cloudy, no problem. I'll just throw the grip muffs back on. I almost turned around after 20 minutes of my morning commute when it started to get white and thick on my visor at 65 mph. I pulled into the rest stop to think about how late I would be if I cut the next illegal U Turn to go get my car. The higher vantage point in the parking lot allowed me to see blue sky just over the next hill so I found a nice slow blocker and forged ahead at 60. Very windy today too. Any riders from Kansas? I wonder if they sometimes have to hang one cheek off just to go straight in the steady westerly winds that blow there. Still never felt like the tires were loose though. Good tires. Nice tires. Easy boy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Trying to snow here too. Supposed to rain all week, but at least the night time temps supposed to be above freezing. hopefully can start riding to work tommorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Snowing here too. For days. Melts, freezes, snows some more. Arghh! WILL THE INSANITY EVER END?? :eek: Good on ya Sendler for forging ahead.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So, it didn't snow in VA today, but I'll be damned if there weren't 30mph winds. Good grief... Remember, I'm the new girl (got my MSF license 3/11 and my bike was delivered 3/16). So, today's experience left much to be desired. Didn't even feel like I could get lean in the curves without feeling like I was being pushed around. Have to admit, I was glad to be home safely.

Question for experienced riders--does it feel more dangerous than it actually is to ride in the wind? I tried not to white knuckle the grips and go with the gyroscopic movement, not fighting the wind, but it was a challenging ride. Thanks for sharing your perspectives!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Feelin the pain sista....i've come back from rides and kissed the garage floor:eek: Sometimes its just not fun but with experience you will feel more confident. Regardless of my riding experience I'm "just not lovin the wind". Wind from behind or in front, no sweat, but that cross wind sucks the big one....like being t-boned by a truck. :eek:

·
Registered
706 Posts
We had 2 weeks of superb 70-90* weather and now it's a high of 50... on my way to work this morning it was 34* decided at lunch time that I would rather the car haha.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^yup.....sometimes it's just not fun. Love my bike but gale force, rainy, sleety weather and I don't get along. Not into throwing chains on my bikes tires lol:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, it didn't snow in VA today, but I'll be damned if there weren't 30mph winds. Question for experienced riders--does it feel more dangerous than it actually is to ride in the wind?
I was nervous from the wet snowy pavement in addition to the wind. If the roads are good and dry, I honestly believe the tires will stay down in strong side winds as long as you stay on the road. Which you do by staying low and counter steering. Push left, Lean left, Go left. If it is really wet and cold you will have less grip and will have to slow down. I was actually riding off center on the bike with my seat and chest to the windward side and as low as I could get to make sure the tires would stay under me as best in the sudden gusts. Again, I never felt the tires slip even though they were tracking over three feet onto the glassy center strip because of the automatic counter lean and the actual sideways push. But I always wonder how sudden the breakaway will be with such slippery conditions. If you really have serious doubt, put on your right blinker and slow down as much as you can for the road you are on. Most drivers will feel your pain on really bad days and watch out for your slower than normal speed.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^+1 Sendler. Several years ago I and my group got caught is a sudden rain storm. No place to seak shelter and the wind gusts were horrendous. I tried adjusting my speed at first by plowing into the wind and then then slowing down. My bike was at such a lean along with my speed at only 50kph. I felt like a rag doll. A guy in a Ram 150 was travelling behind me and refused to pass although I had my hazard lights on and was to the extreme right of the lane. He elected to stay behind and act as a buffer to the other drivers. I swear he was a rider and understood the conditions. I was so relieved to make it home. Still was a great ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts