Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, so i’m in the market for a sports bike , i’m a bigger guy. About 280LBS and i’m curious as to if a 250r would be the right choice for me? I love the way they look and would love to own one, i’m just worried about highway driving will i be able to get up to speed? lol thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
559 Posts
Alright guys, so i’m in the market for a sports bike , i’m a bigger guy. About 280LBS and i’m curious as to if a 250r would be the right choice for me? I love the way they look and would love to own one, i’m just worried about highway driving will i be able to get up to speed? lol thanks in advance guys!
Hi
I do not think there will be a weight problem(280lb=127Kg). The problem is usually in the height and the width. Up to 1.8 meters this is possible. The problem is usually with the wind and not with the weight. The tow generated by the wind at speeds of over 80 km / h is much more significant than the weight differences.
If your height does not exceed 1.80m you may be able to lower some of the tow by lying under the windshield. If you are very tall and wide the windshield will not be effective for you.
The cruising speed of the CBR250R is 100-110 km / h, that is without any effort to "fold" under the windshield.
A 250 cc engine is not suitable for highways.
According to the manufacturer's data MAX loaded is 353lb(160Kg) including rider, passenger, all luggage, and accessories.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've taken passengers plenty of times with combined weight > than your 280-lbs. No big deal. Weight really only affects acceleration. Cruising and top-speed will be same as it's dictated by total aero-drag vs. power. I can cruise at 130kph all day long with passenger, average-speed on U.S. highways.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Depends on how much highway driving you plan on doing. While the CBR250R is capable at highway speeds, it's not the bike I would choose if the majority of my riding was on the highway. Were that the case a slightly bigger engine and frame, like on a Ninja 400, might be better suited for that purpose. I'm 225lbs. and I think I'm at the upper limit of fitting on the CBR. It's completely comfortable thanks to the Honda's stellar ergonomics, but I don't kid myself that I don't look pretty darn big on my CBR. The CBR will fit larger people better than many other bikes in it's class, like the Yamaha R3 or MT-03, but in your case I feel like you may be wishing you bought something slightly bigger fairly quickly. The best advice is actually go to a dealer with a good selection of smaller bikes and sit on them all. You may find that the higher seat height on something like a KTM RC390 makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Everyone above is right. You didn't really mention if this is your first bike. If you already have some experience, like with dirtbikes for example, I suspect you'll be more happy on a 400cc or 500cc bike. The CBR500 gets a bad rap for some reason but complaints seem to come from seasoned riders. But for a big guy learning how to ride, I think this is probably appropriate. When you start getting into the 4 cylinder bikes (generally sport bikes 600cc's and up), then those are more for intermediate riders. 1 or 2 cylinder bikes are generally docile and can be driven by any beginner, assuming the bike is light enough that you can lean it over without dropping it and with a seat short enough to touch the ground. You can find the "wet" weight of any vehicle online. A Suzuki SV650 has a wet weight of about 430lbs, and the CBR250r is about 370lbs. You're a big guy. If you have the strength to hold up the extra 60lbs, you'll get more out of the the 650cc bike.

My opinion only, but...

Pros of a 250cc bike:
1) Affordable bike. Cheap to insure, repair, fuel, and buy.
2) Can be sold quickly. There area always new people entering the sport and every rider needs a first bike.
3) Small and nimble. Can be maneuvered easily under power and pushed around when not. Can park almost anywhere from sidewalks to unmarked parking lots.
4) Socially acceptable. Easy to convince loved ones it's safe.
5) Great to learn on. Everything you need to know about motorcycle riding can be learned on a 250cc. Any mistakes are generally not catastrophic.

Cons of a 250cc bike:
1) Generally a 1st bike. Prone to abuse, drops, crashes, neglect, and repairs/maintenance done by unskilled people new to the sport.
2) Limited interest. You will either exit the sport shortly after buying or move on to the next bigger bike. The next bike is generally a longer term purchase.
3) Less refined. There are more technologies on the more expensive bikes, although ABS and other traction controls are starting to make their way into the smaller affordable bikes.
4) Generally less stable. Larger bikes can handle the winds and road flaws better than lighter ones. You'll probably pee your pants the first time an 18 wheeler blows it's airstream into you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I think the old rule applies here. For primarily highway and interstate use you should have a minimum of a 400cc, 2-cylinder bike. That said my CBR250 has done well for me on highways for over 9 years. I mostly use it for commuting but every year take a long ride with my sons and their bigger bikes. The CBR250 keeps up just fine and is more maneuverable. Good for the twisties. But the times we cruise mostly highway I miss my old 750 Nighthawk. The 250 will do highway speeds with no problem but the issue is the wind buffeting and hills. Overall my 250 has served as a swiss army knife of motorcycles and I intend to keep it.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
But the times we cruise mostly highway I miss my old 750 Nighthawk. The 250 will do highway speeds with no problem but the issue is the wind buffeting and hills. Overall my 250 has served as a swiss army knife of motorcycles and I intend to keep it.
I miss my old Yamaha Seca 400. "Small" as it was, it was a dream on the highway, but it was also a "naked" bike.
Unfortunately, the CBR's fairings act like a sail in a strong crosswind. There's nowhere for the air to pass through the frame and a stiff crosswind will try to blow the bike out from under you. The first time you experience it can be a bit unnerving. Riding a bike down a straight highway at a 60-degree angle does not feel "normal", LOL
Like everything else you adjust, but a heavier, more "planted" bike would be much more comfortable.
Luckily I never have cause to ride a highway. I bought my CBR to bomb around the plentiful 2-lane blacktop in my rural part of the state and it does that exceedingly well. :giggle:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts