Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am from New Delhi, India. My ride is a 2011 Honda CBR250R Non-ABS. With a mileage of just 15000 KMs, I am getting this weird noise from the engine. The sound is so nasty and loud that I am not able to ride at all. So far, I have visited 4 Honda Authorized service center- two of them couldn't even find what's going on and two of them have suggested completely opposite things (one of them have suggested to change the cylinder kit and the second one suggested to change the crank shaft and cam shaft). I am now totally clueless. Please help.
By now, those Service center guys have changed both rocker arms twice, chain tensioner twice, shims and timing chain but it only temporarily fixes the issue and the sound starts again just after 1000- 1200 KMs of that.

I have uploaded two short audio clips of the sound to my Onedrive:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=703FA15C56BAB4FF!126985&authkey=!AF3mhf4ldwbVBW0&ithint=folder,

Please listen to the sound.

@Mods: I am sorry as I couldn't find any other way to share these clips. I can't add them as attachment as they are around 1 MB. If you feel that the link shouldn't have been posted, please feel free to remove it but please also let me know the way I can share these two clips.

Thank you,
Raminder

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
while i have no idea what your noise is caused by
there is at least the clue of changing valve related
mechanisms seeming to cure it for 1000km
before it starts again...

you cant just keep on throwing parts at it..
have you considered taking the matter
further up the honda decisionmaking chain..
seems unreasonable to keep changing parts
for no permanent solution..

good luck anyway..

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Normally I would say cam tensioner, but the sound doesn't seem to go away at higher RPM's. Sounds like a physical slapping of metal on metal. Maybe your cam chain is stretched out and hitting the case?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Get yourself something like this:

So you could find out, where this sound comes from.
Or you can literally use a simple iron rod.
Keep it in your fist, one side at the engine, follow the pitch
The other side on the ear.
The thumb between the ear and the rod, of course
Not as comfortable, as a mechanic's stethoscope, but will do.
And may get you an idea.

Had any of the shops run the engine without gastank and valve cover?
Is there metal in the oil and/or filter?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yep. Humped big end bearings. When youve heard that noise before & it breaks your wallet. You never forget it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Could put a thicker oil in and see if the noise lessens/goes away. If there's a big gap between the bearings and you put thicker oil in, sometimes this will alleviate the noise. Obviously not the problem, but it's nearly the nail in the coffin so to speak on main bearings.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for helping me out here. You guys are right, this sound is related to Crankshaft bearings. Sound is very similar to what @Rob_250 shared. I went to another Honda Authorized Service Center after sending an email to Honda India through their website and the engineer their confirmed this. Also showed it to another reliable mechanic and he also blamed the main bearings. However, Honda doesn't provide just the bearings and the crank shaft set will have to be replaced which also includes the bearings. I am not riding my motorcycle much these days just to avoid any further damage and will get this fixed ASAP. I will post further updates once this is fixed.
Thank you all once again :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
How much is the new CS set going to set you back bro? Might be worth picking up a used engine & keeping the old one for spares or part it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,

Just wanted to update you all on this. Last week, I finally got the chance to take my motorcycle to one of the biggest Honda service station here which was recommended to me by Honda's regional manager here in New Delhi. They opened the engine and found the camshaft to be faulty. The noise is somewhere from the cylinder head. This faulty camshaft has cut the cylinder head. I need to get a new camshaft and new cylinder head. Cylinder head was not available with them and will be available after 10 days. I'll get that changed and will update again. Here are some pics I clicked (Sorry for the bad quality as I clicked them using my mobile phone)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first image shows the part on the cylinder head where the camshaft rests has been damaged. This part has so sharp now from the edges that it can easily injure the finger if rubbed on it. The second shows the camshaft which is fine and has no marks or cuts on it. The third one shows the damaged camshaft with a lot of cuts and marks on it. The last image shows the rod which holds the camshaft on to the head also has lots of cuts. (I don't know what this is called as I am not very knowledgeable. If someone knows the name of this part, please share).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Never heard a bad camshaft tick per se, but being that bad I suppose it could happen if the bearings are toasted that badly. I hate to ask, but is there any chance you ever put the oil filter in backwards? I do find it extremely odd only one camshaft failed in such a manner.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bro that sucks :(. Will you have to pay for it out your own pocket? Or are Honda going to help you out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never heard a bad camshaft tick per se, but being that bad I suppose it could happen if the bearings are toasted that badly. I hate to ask, but is there any chance you ever put the oil filter in backwards? I do find it extremely odd only one camshaft failed in such a manner.
I talked to the mechanic at Honda Service Center and as per him, this could due to manufacturing defect. I haven't ever put the oil filter in backwards.

Bro that sucks :(. Will you have to pay for it out your own pocket? Or are Honda going to help you out?
So far, no chances Honda is going to help. I'll have to shell out money from my pocket :(
Another problem is motorcycle is not under warranty or this could've been covered under warranty. However, I'll still write to Honda and will try to get them pay for this as camshaft or cylinder head can't get faulty just within 14-15000 KMs on odo. But if they don't agree, don't have any other option than paying myself.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
in representations to honda it probably wouldnt hurt
to mention your seeking of advice from global
members of this cbr250r forum..

including previous incorrect diagnosis
and attempted repairs/replacement of parts
before the real damage was diagnosed..

there will be honda decisionmakers who
prefer to know of any potential fault in
manufacture etc, including pr factors..

you seem to have a genuine grievance
incl mis-diagnosis, downtime, and so on..
this could be enough, if it reaches
the right ears at honda..

best of luck, regardless..

·
Registered
385 Posts

Yea. I'd give that a try.

You are not going to loose anything giving it a shot. I would be so (explit) off. If that had happened to my bike. Sometimes you get a bad egg. But not very often. My heart goes out to you bro. Hope it gets sorted out & your back on the road soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yes, you are right. I have already filed a complaint with Honda and now waiting for their response on this.

Yea. I'd give that a try.

You are not going to loose anything giving it a shot. I would be so (explit) off. If that had happened to my bike. Sometimes you get a bad egg. But not very often. My heart goes out to you bro. Hope it gets sorted out & your back on the road soon.
Thanks bro for the concern. Just waiting for Honda's response on my complaint. It's been quite some time I rode my motorcycle in the fear that the issue might damage the engine further (although it still has damaged the cylinder head already). I badly need it working again and get back on the road :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you get no satisfaction from Honda, you may want to consider finding a bike with a totalled front end and do an engine swap.
Finding such option would be quite tough here but I'll try, it is a good option. For now I am just waiting for Honda's Quality department to look into this, have already logged a complaint with them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts