Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to post my exprence with the gear I had on at the time. I'm recovering nicely and luckily have some cute nurse techs so I think I'll be fine...

Icon Varient helmet, survived maybe minor concussion... And a broken clavicle.

Tour master air intake(mesh), I seemed to have slid on my back and the jacket did not hold up on the right side upper shoulder because I got road rash there.

Icon pursuit perforated gloves, they mostly held up, the left thumb came apart and got some Nasty road rash there. Also the knuckles rubbed some of my skin raw.

Lower sadly nothing expect jeans and my legs suffered... I recommend something

Going about 70 I think it was a mix of high side and low side looking at damage to the bike.

Will post pics and girlfriends gear when I get the names of it.

I do not remember the crash so I all I can say is that I think I grabbed a handful of brake.

Also was not my bike I was on a FZ1

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Glad you're ok and at least had the majority of gear on. Just hammers home ATGATT. Did you have any riding boots/shoes on? Was your jacket armored?

Surviving a 70 MPH crash is an accomplishment; I think you've fared well. Hopes to a speedy recovery! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry to hear mate. Glad you faired well considering the speed of the slide. Get well and get back on the horse. How did the bike fair?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Good to hear you're alive. How's the girlfriend???? You mentioned "her gear".

fZ1, yikes!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you're ok and at least had the majority of gear on. Just hammers home ATGATT. Did you have any riding boots/shoes on? Was your jacket armored?

Surviving a 70 MPH crash is an accomplishment; I think you've fared well. Hopes to a speedy recovery!
No just high top heavy converse, ankles are fine though. Girlfriends shoes came off though and she had some bad road rash from what I'm hearing.
Jacket was minimally armored so not really.

Sorry to hear mate. Glad you faired well considering the speed of the slide. Get well and get back on the horse. How did the bike fair?
Totaled will post pics once I get them. Today's the first day I felt well enough to talk about it so I'm gathering info from here on.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good to hear you're alive. How's the girlfriend???? You mentioned "her gear".

fZ1, yikes!!!
She's in more pain now from what I know but if seems she'll have a faster recovery. Well easier is the better word.
Shattered elbow and road rash on most of her left side.

I can tell you she had a Bilt jacket, Bell helmet, and AlpineStars gloves, as for exact grear I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
You poor people! I wish you complete healing, both physically and emotionally. Sounds like a rough crash. So sorry to hear mate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
One of the reasons, I do not trust mesh jackets is: the mesh
It's polyester. That's gone quickly, if sliding on it. Most of the jacket is polyester
This jackets give you slid protection almost only on the protectors. Because of the protectors.
Aside them, it's melting quickly. And getting hot, even without burning it into your skin
In Europe, leather was the first choice.
Later, on trips in Spain and Portugal, it wasn't the best choice. So I changed to Tee and shorts, nikes, for local rides, there. :rolleyes:
But these days, they offer resonable designed protector denim jeans and jackets, with kevlar or aramid inlets at needed sections. Great deal for hot and sunny days. Not cheap, but not so expensive, too.
Not to compare with the first denim, they rolled out, 20 years ago. that was looking like jeans from the 30's!
Ok, you need a rain suit, additional.

And : Never drive without gloves or helmet.
I see so many riders, around here, expensive jacket, expensive shoes (ok, if real, not copy), but no helmet on the head, and no gloves.

Question:
Already started, to repair? :rolleyes:
Get well soon. Both of you.
And then, drive more carefully.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Glad you survived with only minor injuries. Maybe your girlfriend can tell you what happened. I hope both of you'll make a speedy and full recovery.
I always wear full gear when I ride and after reading this I know again that it's the right choice.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the mesh jacket not holding up.
Your accident sounds a bit like one I had. Jeans shredded and knee armor sure would have helped, but I was wearing a thick leather and the asphalt ground right through it on the sleeve and left me with road rash on the shoulder.
And I didn't hit hard enough to break anything. Just slid on one side of my body a bit too far after the get-off for the leather to help.
CorTech is making some nice boots now that look remarkably like Converse high-tops, but offer a lot more protection, if you want to maintain that style.
Hope your recovery is quick and you're back on the bike sooner than later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Going 70. speeding down the road huh? Yup that's what happens.
Mesh just sounds like a bad idea to me. It's more like a padded t-shirt from where I sit. Leather is the way to go. You get better sliding protection. I'd rather brake a limb then get road rash.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mesh just sounds like a bad idea to me. It's more like a padded t-shirt from where I sit. Leather is the way to go. You get better sliding protection. I'd rather brake a limb then get road rash.
Well he could have been riding on the Interstate for all we know. If that was the case - the speed limit on Interstates is 70 mph in many locales. It's probably best to not make assumptions about speeding at this point until we know more about what happened.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Mesh gives almost the same protection as leather nowadays. So I agree, don't sweat the jacket. I wear a mesh armored Scorpion jacket and I'd put it up against any other jacket I could wear for protection.
Going 70. speeding down the road huh? Yup that's what happens...
Wow...Just wow.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Mesh gives almost the same protection as leather nowadays. So I agree, don't sweat the jacket. I wear a mesh armored Scorpion jacket and I'd put it up against any other jacket I could wear for protection...
I'd have to disagree with that statement. As it is, no race track (whether for actual competition, or just doing a track day) is going to let you on track with anything less than leather apparel*. So that says something about the difference in the level of protection between leather and mesh/textiles.

* In fact for actual road race competition it has to be a one piece leather suit (not sure if some tracks allow two piece leather suits for non competition track day use).

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Mesh is a great jacket however, leather is superior. The fact that parts of the OP's jacket was shredded is evidence he should entertain a leather choice for his next jacket.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speed limit was 65 so I wasn't speeding.
Mesh gives almost the same protection as leather nowadays. So I agree, don't sweat the jacket. I wear a mesh armored Scorpion jacket and I'd put it up against any other jacket I could wear for protection.
Going 70. speeding down the road huh? Yup that's what happens...
Wow...Just wow.
Unless there's armor under there than mesh is a little better for impact but leather is better for sliding.
Mesh gives almost the same protection as leather nowadays. So I agree, don't sweat the jacket. I wear a mesh armored Scorpion jacket and I'd put it up against any other jacket I could wear for protection...
I'd have to disagree with that statement. As it is, no race track (whether for actual competition, or just doing a track day) is going to let you on track with anything less than leather apparel*. So that says something about the difference in the level of protection between leather and mesh/textiles.

* In fact for actual road race competition it has to be a one piece leather suit (not sure if some tracks allow two piece leather suits for non competition track day use).
The local track day requires a two precise that zips all the way around our a one peice suit.
Mesh is a great jacket however, leather is superior. The fact that parts of the OP's jacket was shredded is evidence he should entertain a leather choice for his next jacket.
Yup full leathers next time, don't care how I look or feel, there is always the option of strapping a camel pack for the hot days.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Her gear was
Bell votex Hemet. Visor was gone and she remembers tumbling so she was not knocked out.

Bilt retro mesh, shattered elbow, Dr said she will never be able to extend it all the way again but that is really the worst. Left side did not hold up to sliding so Nasty road rash on there.

AlpineStars smx 2 gloves, broken Pinkney and where the gloves rubbed her.

Lost a shoe so road rash on foot.

She remembers tumbling, than some one said "don't move help is on the way" she replied with asking if I day alive, they just told her "he's moving"

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
That is why my mesh gear is Kevlar.
I've got one of those (could only find a German link but it's a German brand...which produces it's stuff in Pakistan these days...so maybe there are no English links on it.:()ROLEFF RACEWEAR Motorradjacke RO 64i: Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit

It's pretty heavy and comes with back, elbow and shoulder armor. I don't think it would fail at 70mph. I combine it with some textile pants with knee and hip armor, an extra back armor as the one in the jacket isn't that coinvincing, motorcycle boots (unfortunately without shin protection that would be worth a look when I replace them), motorcycling gloves (with not enough padding but they were the only ones in the shop that fit my non NATO compatible ultra small hands:mad:), and a full face helmet.

BTW is there a difference between mesh and textile? I've never heard the term mesh here in Germany, there is just textile and leather....or maybe I missed something, that would not be that surprising...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts