Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Went down...

28K views 111 replies 19 participants last post by  isaacm12 
#1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to post my exprence with the gear I had on at the time. I'm recovering nicely and luckily have some cute nurse techs so I think I'll be fine...

Icon Varient helmet, survived maybe minor concussion... And a broken clavicle.

Tour master air intake(mesh), I seemed to have slid on my back and the jacket did not hold up on the right side upper shoulder because I got road rash there.

Icon pursuit perforated gloves, they mostly held up, the left thumb came apart and got some Nasty road rash there. Also the knuckles rubbed some of my skin raw.

Lower sadly nothing expect jeans and my legs suffered... I recommend something

Going about 70 I think it was a mix of high side and low side looking at damage to the bike.

Will post pics and girlfriends gear when I get the names of it.

I do not remember the crash so I all I can say is that I think I grabbed a handful of brake.

Also was not my bike I was on a FZ1

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you're ok and at least had the majority of gear on. Just hammers home ATGATT. Did you have any riding boots/shoes on? Was your jacket armored?

Surviving a 70 MPH crash is an accomplishment; I think you've fared well. Hopes to a speedy recovery! :)

#5 ·
Glad you're ok and at least had the majority of gear on. Just hammers home ATGATT. Did you have any riding boots/shoes on? Was your jacket armored?

Surviving a 70 MPH crash is an accomplishment; I think you've fared well. Hopes to a speedy recovery!
No just high top heavy converse, ankles are fine though. Girlfriends shoes came off though and she had some bad road rash from what I'm hearing.
Jacket was minimally armored so not really.

Sorry to hear mate. Glad you faired well considering the speed of the slide. Get well and get back on the horse. How did the bike fair?
Totaled will post pics once I get them. Today's the first day I felt well enough to talk about it so I'm gathering info from here on.

#4 ·
Good to hear you're alive. How's the girlfriend???? You mentioned "her gear".

fZ1, yikes!!!

#6 · (Edited)
She's in more pain now from what I know but if seems she'll have a faster recovery. Well easier is the better word.
Shattered elbow and road rash on most of her left side.

I can tell you she had a Bilt jacket, Bell helmet, and AlpineStars gloves, as for exact grear I have no idea.

#7 ·
You poor people! I wish you complete healing, both physically and emotionally. Sounds like a rough crash. So sorry to hear mate.

#8 ·
One of the reasons, I do not trust mesh jackets is: the mesh
It's polyester. That's gone quickly, if sliding on it. Most of the jacket is polyester
This jackets give you slid protection almost only on the protectors. Because of the protectors.
Aside them, it's melting quickly. And getting hot, even without burning it into your skin
In Europe, leather was the first choice.
Later, on trips in Spain and Portugal, it wasn't the best choice. So I changed to Tee and shorts, nikes, for local rides, there. :rolleyes:
But these days, they offer resonable designed protector denim jeans and jackets, with kevlar or aramid inlets at needed sections. Great deal for hot and sunny days. Not cheap, but not so expensive, too.
Not to compare with the first denim, they rolled out, 20 years ago. that was looking like jeans from the 30's!
Ok, you need a rain suit, additional.

And : Never drive without gloves or helmet.
I see so many riders, around here, expensive jacket, expensive shoes (ok, if real, not copy), but no helmet on the head, and no gloves.

Question:
Already started, to repair? :rolleyes:
Get well soon. Both of you.
And then, drive more carefully.

#10 ·
Glad it wasn't worse.
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the mesh jacket not holding up.
Your accident sounds a bit like one I had. Jeans shredded and knee armor sure would have helped, but I was wearing a thick leather and the asphalt ground right through it on the sleeve and left me with road rash on the shoulder.
And I didn't hit hard enough to break anything. Just slid on one side of my body a bit too far after the get-off for the leather to help.
CorTech is making some nice boots now that look remarkably like Converse high-tops, but offer a lot more protection, if you want to maintain that style.
Hope your recovery is quick and you're back on the bike sooner than later.

#15 ·
Mesh is a great jacket however, leather is superior. The fact that parts of the OP's jacket was shredded is evidence he should entertain a leather choice for his next jacket.

#17 ·
Her gear was
Bell votex Hemet. Visor was gone and she remembers tumbling so she was not knocked out.

Bilt retro mesh, shattered elbow, Dr said she will never be able to extend it all the way again but that is really the worst. Left side did not hold up to sliding so Nasty road rash on there.

AlpineStars smx 2 gloves, broken Pinkney and where the gloves rubbed her.

Lost a shoe so road rash on foot.

She remembers tumbling, than some one said "don't move help is on the way" she replied with asking if I day alive, they just told her "he's moving"

#21 · (Edited)
Mesh is whatever lets air flow through. So I suppose (nowadays) perforated leather could be considered "mesh". lol

My jacket and pants come from Motoport. Made in California, I believe. All of the usual padding, but nothing too impressive. I have only crashed wearing the pants (different coat that did not survive the EMTs scissors!) and they did great. No really sliding involved, though. This is what my jacket looks like (in Hi-Viz): http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=15&cid=27&Itemid=38

My boots are an old pair of BMW moon boots that desparately need replacing, but they are still waterproof, so I keep wearing them. Shin protection, check. Easy on/off, check. Won't come off in a crash, check.

Gloves? Not much in the way of impact protection, but custom fit deer skin gauntlets. I love them. I was planning on having a pair made with perforations, but I have yet to experience overheating in them.

Helmet? HJC. Not real cheap, not real expensive, fits great and has all of the features I want/need.

Earplugs - EVERY RIDE

#22 ·
Gear choice is all about risk assessment. Leather will always be better then mesh. But mesh offers ventilation and comfort that even high end perforated leather cannot. On any given day I make the decision: comfort (textile, short gloves, jeans, short boots) or protection/sex appeal (Alpinestars 2 piece leathers, back protector, gauntlets, road race boots). Generally a commute demands comfort, and a joy ride to the twisties/track day requires the protection as the risk of a fall is much higher. Sure there is considerable risk when commuting, and I'll wish I was in leathers if I'm in an accident, but that is part of the game.

#29 ·
^This.

And armor is most certainly for sliding protection! Not so much in a cheap jacket because it's sewn right under the outside layer and would probably get ripped off. In mine though, it's on the inside, under all the material and padding, right next to my skin. There's no way I can lay on the ground with my jacket on and not be supported by my armor pads, which include forearm, elbow, shoulder, back, and lightly on the hip. In order for the armor to not protect me in a slide, it would have to be ground down to my skin, in which I don't think any jacket would help.

Textiles are also generally meant to be discarded if they've been in a slide. They won't hold up to multiple accidents like good quality leather, but in all honesty, if I go down my jacket will be replaced regardless.

#30 ·

And armor is most certainly for sliding protection!
I'm sorry to say, but the protectors, neither hard nor soft, are for sliding protection.
They are impact protectors!
As clother, and tight, they are, to the body, as less they get of the area, they should protect, at a hit.
The sliding protection, with also a 'slowing down' momentum, comes from the stuff, on top of the protectors, the outside of the suit, pants, jackets, gloves, shoes.
Your helmet is impact protection, too. But unlike a jacket protector, it will survive a longer slide, also.

And still leather, in thickness over ~1.5mm, is the best slid protection.
oh, Kangoroo is ok, with about 1.1-1.2mm
Followed by aramid/kevlar.
That's, why a lot of textil has kevlar/aramid patches or strings woven (jeans, sometimes) in.

Question: Your jacket has a breast protector? Your pants have protection on the front of the tights and sides? I mean, in case the protector is the slid protection, you would need full armor, everywhere around your body.

You are right, you get, what you pay for. Unlucky, but a lot of mesh jackets are only any good, in urban area driving: Not very fast, but almost every accident has a impact for the rider! As long you hit and fall down, the jacket will keep you safe!

#39 ·
My biggest beef with riding jeans is that the knee armor is usually fitted inside an interior pocket that approximates where your knees are. They are usually subject to a lot of movement during a crash unless you wear really tight jeans and can find the same sort of fit in armored ones.
A better option is to wear knee pads with straps underneath that will stay where you need them to be, but you're going to give up a lot of the comfort and convenience that armored jeans promote as a selling point. Not easy to adjust a binding strap when you can't access them unless you get off the bike and drop trousers.

And Mike I stand corrected, but then not all manufacturers do everything as well as A-Stars does. I think a lot of new riders don't yet have the knowledge or experience to recognize the vast differences between grades of leather and will try to save a buck in a many cases until they realize at some point they're not quite as protected by that leather as they could be. It's when they ditch that first cheap leather or pair of boots for something more substantial and expensive that they truly discover that you really do get what you pay for when buying quality gear.
I have an AlpineStars Barcelona leather that I bought at closeout for half it's original cost, as you mentioned in that excellent tip. It's amazing the quality gear you can pick up at closeout right after the year's new styles are announced from favorite gear providers like A-Stars and Icon.

#33 · (Edited)
Schroeder, you are surprising me, here!
You germans literally have tests for everything published.
I think, you'll find something from the adac and others, too, but here it's a test from motorrad, I got the link from a (german) friend, some time ago.
(That's why I knew, where to look! ;-)

Google Translate

I'm not saying, jeans is the best option. That's still leather, for Sportbiker, and textile for Tourer and Enduro riders (imho).
But that's maybe only me!
In hot conditions, in case you aren't racing, a good and non-copy protective jeans with aramid/kevlar inlets is a aceptable protection.
better as a normal jeans or shorts, anyway!

@cbrlocal

If the armor is everything you need:
get one set of these in CE quality:

perfect airconditioned :D

#34 · (Edited)
Schroeder, you are surprising me, here!
You germans literally have tests for everything published.
I think, you'll find something from the adac and others, too, but here it's a test from motorrad, I got the link from a (german) friend, some time ago.
(That's why I knew, where to look! ;-)
You noticed that this was a test at 80km/h (~50mph) on extremely smooth asphalt? Try that again in a real world scenario. The ADAC says that they only offer good protection in light crashes. https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/adac-im-einsatz/motorwelt/test_motorradhosen.aspx

Look at this video of simulated crashes at 80km/h:
Test Motorrad Jeans - der ADAC hat 7 Modelle getestet

Not convincing in my opinion.

@cbrlocal

If the armor is everything you need:
get one set of these in CE quality:
I think you guys are talking past each other (is that how it's said in proper English?). Of course the armour will also protect against abrasion, everything between the skin and the pavement will but it's not the main task of the protectors but of the fabric. So you are both right to some degree.

#36 ·
CBR-250-R,

I never said armor was ALL you need, I said textile jackets have come a long way in terms of durability, and in conjunction with armor, provide very good protection against impacts and abrasion that is comparable to leather. But usually after one accident it's done and needs to be replaced.

Of course, unless you have the 1000 cordura fabric, leather is better at abrasion resistance, but doesn't breathe well, is harder to keep clean if it gets dirty, and isn't as comfortable. But, one leather jacket (good jacket) will generally last the life of the rider if cared for. Problem is, the leather can get brittle even with treatments if it's thick enough, because the oils have a hard time penetrating to the core of the leather.

Mike,

That looks very.....hot. :p That is a fantastic deal on an AS armored leather jacket. Can't find them for under $400 bucks around here.... :(

#40 ·
This is motorcycling. There are no guarantees when it comes to protection. All we can do as riders is buy the best quality protection in our individual budgets and invest in riding schools that will help avoid a fall altogether. Unless you are riding around in top of the line race suits with amazingly huge price tags, you are not as protected as you could possibly be. Even then, 5hit happens. Look at MS58. He would have been wrapped in the best kit money can buy. You can't participate in this sport/hobby without accepting the risks.

#41 · (Edited)
@cbrlocal
Sry, forgot the [/irony]
The time changes, in motorcycle cloth, were only, that other material had to compare to leather. For abraison protection. Cordura 1000 is pretty good, for that said reason.
But the protectors, inside, leather got them, too, in all the years.
They are simply not there, for the slide, not in the first place. Of course, they will do the job, too. But they are impact protection. Unlucky, the leather or cordura, on top of hard protectors, is abraising more, as on soft or no protector sections. More force on lesser and harder area

@schroeder
a protector jeans, plus aramid, is a much better protection, as any other pants are, that were not made for biking! Cloth are always a compromise, of comfort and protection.
For a daily urban commuter, they probably will do a very efficent job.
In 30-40 degrees much more.
Not so much for the speeder on highways or Autobahn.
Suit up for your needs, I think. A ride, in the limits, seems to be covered, on most roads in the world, with a 80kph speed test

@ truefaith
that fitting thing, with jeans and armor, is not so much different to all protective gear, isn't it? Even in leather, you have pockets, that assume the position of your knee. Don't buy, if it doesn't fit.
Some of the jeans are coming with velcro for the excact positioning, these days.
But you got your solution, strap on's :eek:.
Question only: What you wear under or over them? Ever thought of sliding on your back(side)?

opsi, just forgot:

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst

:cool:

#44 ·
Good to see you're alright though man. At least you had gear on. A mesh jacket saves more skin than a T-shirt would.
A broken clavicle? You'll have to wear a sling for a while, but it will heal.

Wish you and your passenger the best of luck.

Oh, and I love hospital honeys too ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.