Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Black Widow front and rear stand set for my bike. The rear stand is meant for spools. I like the Yoshimura set but I can't find them for under $100, which is to much for me. What spools have other people bought? I hate that all websites I visit don't have specific ones for a 2011 250. Which I understand because it is new but don't want to order wrong ones. Seeing how I have to buy a set to use with this stand, what's the best set to get?

·
Registered
235 Posts
In another discussion about spools someone brought up the point that some spools attach in a way that makes lifting the bike using a stand/spool combo makes adjusting the chain difficult or impossible.

For instance, the Yoshimur attaches to caps on the end of the swingarm. Aren't those caps held on with the chain adjusting screws?

If so, can you loosen them while the bike is lifted by the spools without the bike falling or the adjustment process getting messed up?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Yoshimura work fine under load. After installing them you must adjust chain slack. You would see the gap if they were cocked sideways in the swing arm. In fact I would argue that if they were not adjusted properly you would be able to tell because they would back out of the swing arm.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have commented that the rg cotton reels look useless, but in actuality, yosh does not seem a lot better. I like the flush fit compared to the ones in the picture above, but I dont use the spools. I have the universal pit bull, and pick it up on the swing arm just fine. I wont be any faster with spools on it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have commented that the rg cotton reels look useless, but in actuality, yosh does not seem a lot better. I like the flush fit compared to the ones in the picture above, but I dont use the spools. I have the universal pit bull, and pick it up on the swing arm just fine. I wont be any faster with spools on it.
Spools are a lot more secure. I have the pitbull also and while I was cleaning the chain the bike slid a few inches backwards. I decided spools were the right thing for me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Yoshimura work fine under load. After installing them you must adjust chain slack. You would see the gap if they were cocked sideways in the swing arm. In fact I would argue that if they were not adjusted properly you would be able to tell because they would back out of the swing arm.
I want to take it back. I just used a new motion pro chain alignment tool and had to adjust chain slack again. The insert on the right side came out a tiny smidgeon. I think the ones that clamp on the arm above are the way to go now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone. I just spent $10 and got a swing arm attachment for my spool black window rear stand. I will have to do with that this winter. However, I am not real comfortable with the swing arm as opposed to the spools. Looks so much more secure with those. I'll just make sure I'm more careful and keep my son away from my bike in the garage. The dealership didn't even know if they could find me a set or what set I should get. I like the Yoshimura set but to expensive right now and apparently still isn't making everyone happy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
FWIW I used a Pit Bull stand that lifts the swingarm all season long without any issues. And I used it a lot (I race the bike), not just once or twice. In fact, I removed the kickstand as part of race prepping the bike.

Anyways, I've never had issues with the Pit Bull slipping.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Anyone got the Sato spools?

·
745 Posts
I ordered mine from SportBikeTrackGear.com, Jason Cloonan ([email protected]) helped me out, but I don't know if he'll ship to Australia (hey, you're closer - cheaper, right?) . I liked the way they went on and the way they work.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I ordered mine from SportBikeTrackGear.com, Jason Cloonan ([email protected]) helped me out, but I don't know if he'll ship to Australia (hey, you're closer - cheaper, right?) . I liked the way they went on and the way they work.
Have you installed these yet? I'm looking at getting a pit-bull stand, but I want to have/use spools vs the swingarm, since it just seems safer to me. I was looking around on the website, however I can't even find the ones for the CBR250R -- There is this one, however it sales swingarm spools in one place, then axle sliders in another:

Sato Swingarm Spools Honda 250R 2011 from SportbikeTrackGear.com

·
Registered
323 Posts
I took off the rear wheel today and when I took off my Yoshi spools a crap ton of water poured out. Maybe on their next try the will copy the stock spools and put drainage holes. Off come the yoshi, on go stock and I will be ordering the Sato spools soon.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anyone know if the T-Rex or Sato spools work with ABS bikes? Looking at the T-Rex pictures on eBay, I can't see any way the right side spool clamp will clear the ABS assembly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think they'll fit. Look at this picture of the VTR250 with ABS sensor.

SATO RACING | Honda VTR250 ('9:cool: Swingarm Spools

Here are some pictures I took of the right side:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jeffreytollar/SpoolFit?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPjF-LCC5r-rqwE&feat=directlink
Thanks tollarja. I'll didn't even think about sensor interference issues until after I ordered the T-Rex spools last week. They're on the way, and I'm going to give them a shot first for price reasons. If they don't work, back they go and on to the slimmer Sato spools. I'll post the results.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts