Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here is what I have been doing to keep this baby running smooth for the first 2,200 miles (and hopefully for many thousands of miles more). Anything I can add to my routine?

- Oil/filter changes every 1500 miles
- Check/adjust tire pressures every 1-2 weeks
- clean/lube the chain once every 1-2 weeks
- Wash the bike once every 2 weeks
- Check fluids/brakes/etc. every so often.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So, here is what I have been doing to keep this baby running smooth for the first 2,200 miles (and hopefully for many thousands of miles more). Anything I can add to my routine?

Ride it more?

·
Registered
210 Posts

Don't wait 1,500 miles to check your oil level. Mine ran dangerously low and the resulting maintenance call and related effects cost me hundreds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does one need to keep their battery topped up with a battery tender on this bike? Or is that only for long periods of non use?

A few years ago when I was checking out the baby ninja I was reading about tons of maintenance from using a battery tender, to checking the water level on kawi's supplied non sealed battery. *facepalm*

Seems like the CBR is a lot easier to keep up and running!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Get a life.

Change the oil and filter, and do other maintenance per the schedule. Cut the two week washing. Use your machine to go somewhere nice and do something.

The only time my bikes ever get washed are a squirt down if they have been down if they have been on the beach, or somewhere really mucky. The two I own at present are 15 years old and 29 years old.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts

Sounds like you are staying on top of it all.

Use Hondaline HP4s (10W-30 synthetic) or similar and you can safely double your oil change intervals. Depending on how long you typically ride each time you could easily go more, but if you do a lot of short trips 3000 mi changes are about right.

You didn't specifically mention it, but be sure to check the chain tension regularly. Make sure to find the tightest spot before setting the tension.

A good way to prevent rust in the tank is to always keep it as full as possible. Run Ethanol-free gas if you can.

Jay

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Never adjusted or 'cleaned' (dunno why ppl do that) my chain in 6000km and lots of hard use.
Drive chain slack listed in the manual is far too tight at 20-30mm, make it 35-40 at least.
Loose chain=Good, Tight chain=Bad, once you've stretched it the damage is done.
Just lube with Motul or Belray chainlube soon as you get in after a long ride, A trolley jack under the shock linkage works best if you dont have spools & stand or a mate to lean it over for you.

Take off the clutch lever and get some oil down the cable, also grease the pivot bolt;
Clutch lever 10mm freeplay.
Grease the brake lever pivot bolt once too for better feel.
Loosen the lever perches and set the levers at the height to suit you, dont overtighten those bolts.

Throttle cable 2-5mm freeplay, turn handlebars to the right when you measure this.
Adjust gearshifter and brake pedal heights to suit your riding boots.
Adjust the rear brake light switch sensitivity.
Tyre pressure 29F/30R psi.

Dont just wash the bike unless you are going to dry off all metal parts well, then wipe with wd40 or Inox and a rag.
Remove key and tape over slot when washing, Inox key and insert to lube the barrel.
Contact cleaner or acetone to wipe any residue off the discs.

Any bolts you remove, lube the threads with silver anti-seize and they will never work loose and come off easily next time.
Put a decent 4mm + 5mm allen key in the toolpouch, throw away the rest of the toolkit.. its crap.

Tighten the pinch bolt on the gear selctor shaft... it works loose at first.
Triple clamp bolts may need tensioning after a while too Top and bottom.
Check front axle pinch bolt.
Exhaust header nuts will need tightening evenly with 12mm socket.
Front brake caliper bolts settled a bit and need checking.
The 2 small bolts on each mirror worked loose from new as well.
Clutch arm seal at motor may weep oil when new.. it settles in.
Little spray of Inox on battery teminals and check they are tight.

Read the owners manual every night for the first few weeks and familiarise yourself with the bike.
Annual/12,000 dealer servicing.

Oil change regularly with Hondas recommended 10-30w oil.
Very easy to overfill/underfill this bike so be careful and recheck after idle for a minute upright.
Empty the few drops of oil out of the crankcase breather tube, can be a result of overfilling.

Redline regularly in the higher gears and dont drive like Miss daisy or you'll have a rattler and less performance from what we read here on this forum.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I tightened my chain to the minimum spec at about 1000 miles...at almost 4500 miles now i checked and it hasnt stretched but maybe 1/8 inch..i clean with degreaser n lube with chain wax every 5-600 miles or so

And just go to ur dealer ask for oil..thats what i did..they automatically gave me the stuff my manual calls for..except they tried to give me 3 quarts of 10-40..i had to tell them it was 2 quarts of 10-30 instead

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a life.

Change the oil and filter, and do other maintenance per the schedule. Cut the two week washing. Use your machine to go somewhere nice and do something.

The only time my bikes ever get washed are a squirt down if they have been down if they have been on the beach, or somewhere really mucky. The two I own at present are 15 years old and 29 years old.
Are you talking about dirt bikes? Because Im wondering why your bikes are going "down" in the first place? If I owned a dirt bike I would rarely wash the bike either, only maintain the chain. But a beautiful sports bike like this that gets me compliments almost daily? This I wash and protect the paint regularly. Plus, the wash is as much about cleaning as giving the bike a close inspection to spot possible leaks, tire damage, fluid levels, etc.

I spend time maintaining the bike because I use it every day. If not for my daily commute then for the canyons on the weekends. I can not be on the freeway or some blaring turn with a floppy chain or deflated tires.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Get a life.

The only time my bikes get washed is a squirt down if they have been on the beach, or somewhere really mucky. The two I own at present are 15 years old and 29 years old.
A bit of incomplete editing, fixed now.

I'm not interested in what others think of my wheels. They just get me around, all sorts of places.

I just do the basic maintenance and, as Aufit suggests, the odd practical bit based on experience or as required. My day to day ride is a 15 years old ex rental, that I bought 9 years ago. I had the engine overhauled at 170,000 km, and it has done over 190,000 km now. My other bike is no longer registered for the road. Some young fellows use it to hoon around the hills at home.

Each to their own. I like riding, but to me a motorcycle is a machine to be used, not some idol to worship and lavish attention on.

As young Redline suggests, I am a geezer who has been riding a few years, in several countries. I have probably forgotten how to look after a motorcycle properly, and know nothing about modern machinery, so ignore my posts if you like.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Half what I wrote goes for any bike,
the whole lot is everything i've done to this bike to ensure its ready to take on years of sevice.... anything else my dealer will help, and Hondas 24 month warranty will cover.

many on here would post up a 'call the lawyer, sue Honda, my chain/clutch/throttle/gearshift/ignition barrel/ etc etc etc is stuffed' thread-

Most problems can be avoided with a little basic maintenance and a look at that stange booklet that comes under the seat.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You want to do more maintenance?

I am so happy the maintenance intervals are stretched out on this bike compared to my last one(valves were 7500 mi on my Ninja 250 and were a PITA)....I actually get to ride more and waste less time in the garage:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never said I want to do more, I just want to be doing what I am supposed to be doing to keep the thing running and in good shape. I have thousands of miles on it already and plan many thousands more. If I rode it like once a week maintenance wouldnt be that big a concern, but I have replaced my car with it and put on heavy mileage; things are more liable to wear, simply wish to avoid that.

·
Registered
172 Posts

According to the owners manual the oil change intervals are 8k Miles or annually.

regards
Badger

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
1500 isn't bad if it is straight dino oil. The bike has a small oil capacity. Keeping it topped off is important. Frequent changes make that happen almost automatically.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts