Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Arizona and we see 100-120*F all spring, summer, and fall long, how does everyone deal with the heat? And our highway speeds are posted 75mph, highway and at that speed I can't see not wearing everything but what about around town 35 mph. Our does it just come down to it being too **** hot and not ride?

·
Registered
501 Posts
90 deg's. i wear a helmet, Other gear too hot to wear. . I like to enjoy the wind. Have to be more cautious riding, but more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
my fieldsheer jacket is mesh..if you hold it up in front of your face close enough...you could watch tv thru it , no problem....my new leather/mesh riding overpants has leather in strategic areas..but mesh where it counts most and does the most air flow...my gloves are mesh and have vents in the fingers.....when its hot outside..you sweat like crazy wearing a bathing suit..so ur gonna be hot with gear on too...just count your blessing....85 degrees here is like 100 degrees there because of your decreased humidity...so saying its a 100 degrees there doesnt really make me feel all that sorry for you

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's hot here in Vegas most of the year too, yet i still cant imagine NOT wearing gear. I'm pretty sure the pavement is hot either way when you're sliding acrossed it bare skinned even at 35 MPH. I wear a Joe Rocket Recon mesh jacket, gloves and helmet whether its warm or not.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
75 Posts
When it's that hot and riding at interstate speeds, I cover up completely (close all vents on gear). At that temperature and speed the hot air feels like it's cooking you. People gave me that advice and it seems counter-intuitive, but this was my test that confirmed it: Sit straight up and let the hot air hit you. Next, tuck down behind the windscreen. It feels cooler without the wind hitting you.

You could also try the cooling vests that you soak in water. I've heard good things about those. Whatever you do, drink plenty of fluids and keep yourself hydrated.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
1. Don't buy a black bike. :) Why do you think everyone has a white truck?

2. Use mesh jacket and pants.

3. If it is still too hot, don't ride. I ride with a camelback pack to stay hydrated (and yes, you can water yourself with most mouthpieces), but I don't live in that Phoenix heat sink.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had my 600rr in phoenix for a summer. Rode everyday with helmet, textile jacket, gloves and boots. Just avoid leather. My commute to work took about 35 mins so i would take a camelbak and drink along the ride. Just make sure you bring a small piece of wood, or a crushed soda can to stick under the kick stand so it doesnt sink into the asphault

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another way to help with the heat is get a neckercheif or Buff, soak it in cold water and it'll pull the heat away from your body keeping you feeling much cooler and ensuring that your body continues to maintain a proper internal temperature--reducing your risk of heat exhaustion. :(

This will be my first summer riding (super excited!) but I can't imagine I'll compromise on safety gear for comfort. :eek: Living in central VA the heat & humidity can be unbearable... but I'm willing to endure it for the joy of riding and the piece of mind of being protected. ;)

I don't have any 'summer' gear yet, so if the ladies on the forum have recommendations, I'm listening... :)

·
1,305 Posts
i live in Los angeles, i wear all gear, all the time.

figure that the tarmack is over 120f, and if i'm laying on it in shorts and t-shirt.. then i prob go back and quite happily wear full gear.

2nd the comments on the wet neck piece, i have a fabric neckguard that i soak prior to riding.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Here in New Mexico, for me it's ATGATT, and a Camelbak... It's all about staying hydrated. I'm not a big fan of drinking hot water, so I fill the Camelbak with ice and cold H2O.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Live in the South of India near the coastal where 80's is as low as it can get during Winter & 110 during Summer.

JR reactor 2.0 or Power Trip mesh jacket, JR riding pants or Fox titan knee guards, GMax, locally available, yet, made out of leather with protective shell for knucles & shoes all the time I ride, irrespective of the weather. Because...its better to sweat than bleed!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Strength and Speed-Project CBR textile jacket..Joe Rocket-Blaster leather pants..Fulmer race gloves..Tourmaster boots and Scorpion EXO-500 helmet. Same stuff when it's hot. I would rather sweat than bleed..;)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Another way to help with the heat is get a neckercheif or Buff, soak it in cold water and it'll pull the heat away from your body keeping you feeling much cooler and ensuring that your body continues to maintain a proper internal temperature--reducing your risk of heat exhaustion. :(

This will be my first summer riding (super excited!) but I can't imagine I'll compromise on safety gear for comfort. :eek: Living in central VA the heat & humidity can be unbearable... but I'm willing to endure it for the joy of riding and the piece of mind of being protected. ;)

I don't have any 'summer' gear yet, so if the ladies on the forum have recommendations, I'm listening... :)
I don't compromise. I have a mesh jacket with vents and mesh gloves. Wear draggin jeans so I'm not layered up. Wear a tank top under the jacket. Then I pray I don't have to sit in traffic too long and develop heat stroke:D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Love the wet buff (which sounds naughty, but really isn't) If it's really hot and you're not heading any place fancy, soak your performance fabric t-shirt in water. Same effect as the buff but on a larger (in my case MUCH larger) scale.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know if it would work for you but...here in Ohio I ride along the lake and/or other large bodies of water. They are cool from the lake breeze and fun cause the road follows the natural contours of the body of water. Still wear a joe rocket leather jacket/gloves - a scorpion exo1000 - boots. Gotta admit I am not fond of riding pants so it's denim for me.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
On the road 2 piece leathers, just less underneath and the zip vents open and I hydrate with water.

On the Track one piece perforated leather, its full of little holes.

Now its almost winter, I just wear more underneath.
Fitness and hydration is the key.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's hot in the summer here 35 - 40c most days. I changed from my leather jacket to a mesh jacket with padded elbows and shoulders and still wear Kevlar jeans with knee pads, boots and helmet and leather sports bike gloves! - It's only really hot when you stop !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts