Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I've had 2 other bikes that were broken in by the manual.
ZRX1200 and ZX9.
I rode the zrx1200 to 5,XXX miles and the ZX9 to 8,XXX miles.
Not happy with the results with " by the book broke in"
So this time, I have ridden my 250r as if it had 5k miles on it and revs nice and easy.

I now subscribe to the stole it method of breaking it in.

gotta say i actually listened to the people that MADE the engine on this one.

there's a plastic envelope under the seat that is pretty unfront on how to break in THEIR engine.

by "their" i mean the people that actually built it ... you know.. the professionals

Lets speed up the process.. drain all oil and coolant out of it and hold it free revving off the limiter for as long as possible.

(actually saw an old 1960's Ford Falcon 6 cyl run for 6 mins once like that haha.. it only stopped because the leads melted.. whole car on fire)

I know you experienced riders out there can get on this bike, new, and do a hard break in. But what about the newbies, the beginners, that never rode a motorcycle and are still trying to learn? How can you tell them to redline it at every gear? Engine Brake? Ride it like you stole it? That doesn't sound pretty safe for a new rider to learn. They are still trying to learn upshifting and downshifting properly like me. Anyway isn't this bike aimed for beginners?

Anyway, im still new at this that is why im doing a soft break in, as the manual says, I have no choice.

I know you experienced riders out there can get on this bike, new, and do a hard break in. But what about the newbies, the beginners, that never rode a motorcycle and are still trying to learn? How can you tell them to redline it at every gear? Engine Brake? Ride it like you stole it? That doesn't sound pretty safe for a new rider to learn. They are still trying to learn upshifting and downshifting properly like me. Anyway isn't this bike aimed for beginners?

Anyway, im still new at this that is why im doing a soft break in, as the manual says, I have no choice.
this guys is no expert. he know what he is talking about !
thank you for clearing this up. spoken like a true rider !

any vehicle you drive for the first time, you should be "break-in" mode.
especially motorcycles.

Absolutely. For some very good reasons. As businesses they're out to get money. The problems associated with a soft break in will not be apparent until after the warranty. Engine wear, less power, shorter engine life. They will make money off these.
Engine manufacturers spend millions to make engines last. Testing on dynos 24 hours a day for durability. Rigorous schedules that run engines at WOT from torque peak to horsepower peak for hundreds of hours. This is not conducted by people who then want the engines to fail the minute the warranty expires. Within engine design circles test and development engines are always broken in relatively softly. Typically in incrementally increasing RPM. For example for the first 100 miles max rpm to 5000 and then increase the max rpm by 1000 each 100 miles thereafter.
Breaking in "like you stole it" is never conducted by the people who truly want to find the longevity of their designs.
I would also suggest a quick first oil change. I changed the 250 at 100 miles. Best $40 I've spent on the bike.

this guys is no expert. he know what he is talking about !
thank you for clearing this up. spoken like a true rider !

any vehicle you drive for the first time, you should be "break-in" mode.
especially motorcycles.
Hey guys, it being a day before Christmas and everyone's got to be in a holiday giving mood, how about we chip in and buy SS some capital letters!

They can't cost that much! VBG

Like any engine, SOFT Break-in is best in my opinion. I may be a new rider but with any of my new cars or classics I used to restore with buddies, new engines you want to baby. That doesn't mean you have to be a granny and not speed occasionally, just be wary as to how often your over-revving the engine. From buddies of mine with this new bike they recommended something like a 5,000rpm give or take shift range. The first few weeks of riding this first bike of mine I watched those rpms like a hawk. Driving so many manual cars over the years I just listen to the engine, you will know when is a good time to shift and still have power to stomp on the gas and pass.

Ride it. Vary the RPM'S. Service, oil change, enjoy. It's not rocket science. Newbies, follow the manual, but, at end of the day, enjoy your bike!!!! :D:eek:

This topic was commented on by every other member so now its my turn:
Some internet experts say - baby it
Other internet experts say - ride it like you stole it
Honda more lass says - ride it normally, vary RPM a bit
So IMO
If "babying it' was better for engine, than Honda would tell you that in the manual
If "ride it like you stole it" was better for the engine than Honda lawyers would never put that in the owners manual.
So the the the best break in is somewhere between "normal riding" and "ride it as you stole it"
Don't stress it too much. (The topic, not the engine)

It's a Honda, ride it how you want. That can mean redlining every gear or riding it under 6k rpm. Either way, it's a Honda and it is built to last.

For me? Ive rode motorcycles before so I just took it on 2 long road trips to rack up the miles (800miles) which consisted of 35mph and over 70mph and over 7k RPM. I might've gone up to 8 but I never redlined any gear before first service. Did first service at 900 and they said all looks good.

whatever you do, warm it up first..
then ride thu gears and back down
using engine braking at revs within
torque/hp range [5 - 7say]..

if brand new the tyres need to be run in..
one reason for not thrashing it at first..
for not using deep lean angles or for
braking strongly for first 100 miles..

brake pads need to be bedded in..
doesnt take much, but is an example
of the new thing and first uses of it..

even if youre an experienced motorcyclist
the new motorcycle still needs to be learned,
aside from just being able to keep it upright..
if a novice that obviously applies..

anyway, theres more to it than just
thrashing the 5hit out or it, or leaving it
in the garage gathering dust..

once warmed up it wont hurt
to take it up into higher revs
and, back down again thru gears..

if you like imo it doesnt hurt to change
the oil and filter early on in run-in..
cant do any harm..

riding relaxed and smoothly
enjoying it, seems to be
an excellent start..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.