Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm everyone's been asked this question at least once. But seeing as how most engines made in the past decade are engineered to take both even though a lot of them recommend using only premium. So whats your 2 cents about about this topic?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't know why I'm responding to this but why don't you put in whatever they say in the manual, roll on the throttle and ride.

I buy 91 in a 5 gal container, ad some Stabil (only because some of my bikes sit for extended periods) and use it my bikes, lawn mower, chain saw, weedeater, sometimes my car and truck, and boat but your bike will run on anything. It's made to run on fuel and oil sold world wide, I don't think it's too particular. This WILL turn into another endless pointless thread though if it hasn't already. I think inside every biker is a wanne-be petroleum engineer.

My rational for using 91 is that higher octane fuel stores better than lower octane that's the only reason I use it, not because the bike or anything else needs it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just go with whatever the manufacturer recommends. They always have actual data to back up their recommendation. Its not like they have a stake in the gas companies. If that was the case then every manufacturer would only recommend premium.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bah, I wish our premium didn't have ethanol... Typically because it sits in the tank longer, the ethanol thats in it has longer to suck in water making it crappy unless you buy from a gas station that does a LOT of high test business.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Premium works in somethings & not others. It all depends on were you live, most gas stations were i live have ethanol no matter the octane. So i dont have a choice, i use 86 with the least amount of ethanol. All my bike runs fine with the ethanol with 86 octane. My book says 86 octane. Different countries diffeent requirements.

·
Registered
70 Posts
US Manual says '86 Pump Octane'. Haven't read anything about a knock sensor or variable timing retard; wouldn't think you'd find that on a budget bike. Fill-er-up and Go Ride!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would just use premium. Not because people say you get better mileage. Not because people say it makes it run faster. But mainly because most premium gases don't have ethanol mixed in. Also premium gases can remain stable in your tank way longer than regular gas. Meaning if ever for some reason you're unable to start it up for a long time it wont gunk up the fuel lines.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would just use premium. Not because people say you get better mileage. Not because people say it makes it run faster. But mainly because most premium gases don't have ethanol mixed in. Also premium gases can remain stable in your tank way longer than regular gas. Meaning if ever for some reason you're unable to start it up for a long time it wont gunk up the fuel lines.
That's almost never the case in the US now, it's ALL got ethanol in it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
87. Lowest at the pump, what I run in all my vehicles. Works fine.

I did have a fight with a gas attendant once because he wouldn't let me put regular in my ninja......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts