Helmet: Arai Profile

Gloves: Alpine Stars SP-2

Boots: Alpine Stars SMX-5

Jacket: REV'IT Ignition

Pants: REV'IT Sand

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I just wear what is practical for where I am going, with some concession to the means of transport. To me, motorcycling is primarily a way of getting around, not an occasion for showing off safety conscious, all the gear all the time togs.

Where I live now it is over 30ºC most days. I just exchange flip flops for a pair of sturdy sandals, and stick an open face helmet on my head. Around here, on an island that is 20 km wide and 50 km long, where traffic can be quite heavy, there is not much call for high speed. On any trip 70 km/hr is about as fast as I get, on occasion. 60 km/hr is a typical cruising speed, and a lot of the time is spent at less than that.

In more temperate climes, wearing heavier clothing is de rigueur. I normally wear boots outside, but do not have motorcycle boots. I throw on a leather jacket, leather mittens, and an open face helmet. Taking byways rather than highways, I still don't ride all that fast; typically reaching about 80 km/hr and seldom exceeding 100 km/hr.

I have never been able to get along with full face helmets. Besides, to me part of the joy of motorcycling is the smells and sensations that come with the wind in my face. Glasses are my eye protection; I only use a visor when it is raining or very cold.

The Nolan helmet I have at home has a visor that neatly pops up under the peak, where it is protected from scratching. Fortunately it fits me well, and is the quietest, most comfortable helmet I have used. It was a lucky find.

Off road I don't bother with a helmet, unless I am pushing it and doing crazy stuff

If I was into racing, or spending a lot of time at high speed on highways, I would learn to like full face helmets, and acquire more dedicated gear.

To me, the ATGATT mantra is fine sounding impractical nonsense.

·
Registered
636 Posts
certainly sounds like a bold statement michael...just observing your quote..ride however you choose. to each their own is what i say, however ive seen and been involved in situations where a helmet and denim jacket saved me some skin and my skull and i wasnt going fast..myself, i wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, pair of converse boots.that is my roll cage..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
certainly sounds like a bold statement michael...just observing your quote..ride however you choose. to each their own is what i say, however ive seen and been involved in situations where a helmet and denim jacket saved me some skin and my skull and i wasnt going fast..myself, i wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, pair of converse boots.that is my roll cage..
Not quite as radical as what it might seem.

I've been riding for over 45 years, and licenced for over 40. I have always loved motorcycling, but bikes are primarily a way to get around for me, not just a hobby. I have ridden in about 15 countries and covered least 400,000 km, so have developed a practical attitude to apparel.

Sure, I know some of the injury that can arise from a spill, and I am well aware that often the danger is from others. Traffic here in Phuket is as challenging as I have encountered anywhere, and it has the statistics to match. A motorcyclist cannot relax for a moment.

I ride very defensively, and keep well aware of what is going on around me. I have been involved in only one significant accident, 35 years ago, where a car driver was at fault (and he said so himself)....... But if I had been more aware it could have been avoided.

I am aware that an accident can happen at any time, but it comes down to risk management. A racing motorcyclist is well togged up because the risk of a high speed tumble is high. I am not bold on the road; it is not the place to push the limits for me. In different situations, I wear what I feel is appropriate to my level of risk.

·
745 Posts
To me, the ATGATT mantra is fine sounding impractical nonsense.
Michael, I have to disagree.

Most accidents happen within a few miles of home. With a long career in Fire and Rescue, I have seen the aftermath of sandals, shorts, and a tee shirt - what should have been a accident that someone walked away from turned into a long hospital stay and painful rehab. It's shockingly easy to grind all the way down to the bone - toes, fingers, shoulder blades, elbows, and knees are especially susceptible.

Even it it's a short ride, I wear boots, overpants, a jacket, gloves, and helmet. My current everyday gear is Bilt (sold by CycleGear). It's not top of the line, but it has CE-approved armor on knees, elbow, and shoulders, along with a back pad. Cost ~$160US for all of it - cheap insurance, easy to don, and cool (mesh panels).

I spent more on the helmet, got a Shoei RF-1100 which was highly recommended (and after a month in it, I highly recommend it).

Your choice of what gear to wear is your own, and I hope you never have a reason to regret it. However, it's pointless to imply that people who make choices that happen to differ from yours are, say, impractical or nonsensical. What's the point? Is it "Misery loves company" or are you trying to justify to yourself the direction you have chosen?

Luke
ATGATT

·
Registered
193 Posts
Shoei RF-1100 Axis Yellow

Leather jacket from a local leather store or Firstgear mesh jacket

Menards Garbotex Performance glove - yellow

Red Wing 969 Harness Boot

Jeans

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think im pretty good at riding so i went all out on the gear so i can use it if i decide to start up racing. shoei x12 helmet, alpinestars gp tech gloves, 1 piece mx-1 leather suit, and sidi vortices, i feel really safe when wearing it. but it gets pretty hot during the day here so i only wear the gear during winter. the road is hot in summer anyway so i probably wont crash because the tires have heaps of grip on a hot road. and i would get to sweaty of i wore leather on a hot day. probably get called gay as well, for wearing a tight leather outfit. so many noobs dont understand why we wear leather all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
always have adopted the policy of full face helmet, leather jacket and boots. As a medic have seen too much carnage. Wanna protect my skull, even if not much is going on in there half the time lol

....even when watching tv!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Helmet- Rjays Striker

Textile Jacket-Shift Backdraft

Leather Jacket-Shift Vertex

Slip in Back Protector-Dainese Wave

Gloves- Rjays Cobra

Riding Shoes- Puma testastretta II

still looking to buy some kevlar jeans and another pair of boots

·
Registered
162 Posts
What gear do you wear?
Here is my bike gear-

Helmet: Arai Profile

Gloves: Alpine Stars SP-2

Boots: Alpine Stars SMX-5

Jacket: REV'IT Ignition

Pants: REV'IT Sand
Dude if I ever wore all that in Hawaii I would die of heat stroke.....

all roads I commute on here in Oahu are 35 mph for the most part and its in traffic, low wind, so I am dieing in my textile, and full face helmet with gloves...I couldn't imagine having all that on. How do you show pics like that in the thread and I will post up my gear. I have shoei Helmet, Icon Textile Jacket, Shift boots, and Alpine star gloves

·
Registered
619 Posts
i think the picture has to be posted from another page. Go to the picture and left click and select copy image location. then past that address into the insert image window of your post.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts