Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 133 Posts
It's actually hotter than the surface of the sun in Louisiana so it's ATMATT (all mesh all the time). :)

Scorpion EXO 400

AGV Sport Solare Jacket

Scorpion Cool Hand Gloves

i think im pretty good at riding so i went all out on the gear so i can use it if i decide to start up racing. shoei x12 helmet, alpinestars gp tech gloves, 1 piece mx-1 leather suit, and sidi vortices, i feel really safe when wearing it. but it gets pretty hot during the day here so i only wear the gear during winter. the road is hot in summer anyway so i probably wont crash because the tires have heaps of grip on a hot road. and i would get to sweaty of i wore leather on a hot day. probably get called gay as well, for wearing a tight leather outfit. so many noobs dont understand why we wear leather all the time.
Luke,

You seem a well meaning, sincere sort of a guy, and I can see where you and paramedic types are coming from in your point of view..... an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff.

I am certainly not suggesting that people who make choices different from what I make are being impractical or nonsensical. They are making choices based on their situation and circumstances and perceived level of risk. What I do suggest is that the All The Gear All The Time mantra is a bit preachy, and not always practical, so it seems like nonsense to me.

Above we have a guy who has chosen gear appropriate for his racing ambitions, however it is not suited to day to day riding. None the less the attitude of feeling really safe when wearing all the gear, and probably not going to crash because of good tyres are a bit worrying. It is a bullet proof attitude that can develop when people think gear, and technology (tyres, ABS and the like) are going to keep them safe.

I don't say that an accident won't happen to me. I am well aware that accidents can happen to anyone, but I don't think it is helpful to regard motorcycles as statistics in the making. Some riders are indeed accidents waiting to happen, and have more than their share. Others are low risk in their attitude and behaviour and seldom, if ever show up in the statistics despite coving many miles year after year.

For some of us our motorcycles are our only means of transport, and we have to be a bit practical our choice of attire, balancing risk with convenience. For others there is a Chevvy Suburban in the garage for those times when it is not convenient or appropriate to tog up in all the gear.

I can understand people being proud of their bikes, and their gear. For me my bike is not a hobby; it is my transport. My attitude to it, and how I dress when I ride is practical and appropriate to my level of risk. I remain aware of the vulnerability of motorcycling, and ride with that in mind.

On my choice of open face helmet, for instance; I am well aware that a full face helmet provides more protection in an accident. However one of the reasons I like to ride is that I enjoy the sensations and smells of the open air. Going fast is not my buzz. When I have used a full face helmet I missed the open air, and felt I might as well be in a car. The open air is gone, and speed is the only thrill that is left.

Wearing an open face helmet life gets pretty uncomfortable above about 90 km/hr for any length of time....... I ride slower with an open face helmet, and am more aware of the surroundings and conditions, my speed, and my vulnerability.

Am I at greater risk?

Yes, to some extent, if I have an accident.

On the other hand, because I travel at slower speeds the risk of having a serious accident is reduced, and the risk of serious injury is also lower.

ATGATT is fine sounding..... but preachy and impractical.

micheal- right you are about having an artificiall feeling of "safe" around you..perhaps.. but as i found out today i got freaked out riding with full face helmet gloves, jacket,jeans leather shoes...take a look at my hands are still shaking thread..thanks for your input from a different perspective..

I agree with Michael. When one day its 50 then the next 95 degrees I cant handle wearing all that gear during my around town hops. I do feel less protected for sure.
Seen many many crashes too. No gear helps when you get run over by a dump truck either.

SCorpion Exo 400 Urban destroyer helmet with a blue mirror shield ( I have two of the Exo 400 helmets, awesome helmets that are DOT and SNELL approved - Get two sizes bigger than your normal size)

Mossi Mesh Jacket (Warm weather jacket)

River Road Leather Jacket (For cold days -Awesome!)

Cortech Accelerator Series 2 Gloves

Vega Octane Pants (Great armor in these pants)

AXO Backpack (Fits full size helmet and has mesh pockets on the side for water bottles. Good bag for cheap ($25 shipped Amazon)

Air Griffey 2Max GD2 (Working on finding a good pair of boots that fit)

Depends... I mean the brand name DEPENDS. I get going little too hot into a corner, getting on the binders hard a split second after seeing Jebus's dad, well let me tell you, the old sphincter don't pucker like it used to... Getting old ain't for sissy's.

For all you young whippersnappers out there flirting with the Grim Reaper, don't forget that your ultimate goal is to become an Old Geezer...ATGATT has saved my a** a time or two. It's about having the right stuff.

The AGV Helmet on the left:

DSG Nero Textile Jacket

DSG Carbon Gloves

I wear the jacket and gloves everyday to office...its hot summer here with temperatures reaching 45 degrees Celsius. But better to sweat than bleed. Just yesterday my colleague fell off his bike and suffered a fractured hand and shoulder. Am thanking myself even more for wearing all this ;)

Full face helment, armored jacket, gauntlet-style riding gloves... all solid black (I bought the black CBR). Then, jeans and whichever boots go with what I'm wearing for where I'm going. Kind of a hybrid between ATGATT and using the bike as a legitimate means of transportation.

Luke,

You seem a well meaning, sincere sort of a guy, and I can see where you and paramedic types are coming from in your point of view..... an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff.

I am certainly not suggesting that people who make choices different from what I make are being impractical or nonsensical. They are making choices based on their situation and circumstances and perceived level of risk. What I do suggest is that the All The Gear All The Time mantra is a bit preachy, and not always practical, so it seems like nonsense to me.

Above we have a guy who has chosen gear appropriate for his racing ambitions, however it is not suited to day to day riding. None the less the attitude of feeling really safe when wearing all the gear, and probably not going to crash because of good tyres are a bit worrying. It is a bullet proof attitude that can develop when people think gear, and technology (tyres, ABS and the like) are going to keep them safe.

I don't say that an accident won't happen to me. I am well aware that accidents can happen to anyone, but I don't think it is helpful to regard motorcycles as statistics in the making. Some riders are indeed accidents waiting to happen, and have more than their share. Others are low risk in their attitude and behaviour and seldom, if ever show up in the statistics despite coving many miles year after year.

For some of us our motorcycles are our only means of transport, and we have to be a bit practical our choice of attire, balancing risk with convenience. For others there is a Chevvy Suburban in the garage for those times when it is not convenient or appropriate to tog up in all the gear.

I can understand people being proud of their bikes, and their gear. For me my bike is not a hobby; it is my transport. My attitude to it, and how I dress when I ride is practical and appropriate to my level of risk. I remain aware of the vulnerability of motorcycling, and ride with that in mind.

On my choice of open face helmet, for instance; I am well aware that a full face helmet provides more protection in an accident. However one of the reasons I like to ride is that I enjoy the sensations and smells of the open air. Going fast is not my buzz. When I have used a full face helmet I missed the open air, and felt I might as well be in a car. The open air is gone, and speed is the only thrill that is left.

Wearing an open face helmet life gets pretty uncomfortable above about 90 km/hr for any length of time....... I ride slower with an open face helmet, and am more aware of the surroundings and conditions, my speed, and my vulnerability.

Am I at greater risk?

Yes, to some extent, if I have an accident.

On the other hand, because I travel at slower speeds the risk of having a serious accident is reduced, and the risk of serious injury is also lower.

ATGATT is fine sounding..... but preachy and impractical.
If you set a million monkeys in front of a million typewriters for a million years, one of them will write a work of Shakespeare.

If you have 100,000 people ride motorcycles in sandals and limited protection, one of them will ride 400,000 km through 16 countries and share his wisdom on the internet.

If you set a million monkeys in front of a million typewriters for a million years, one of them will write a work of Shakespeare.

If you have 100,000 people ride motorcycles in sandals and limited protection, one of them will ride 400,000 km through 16 countries and share his wisdom on the internet.
If you wanna talk numbers me old cobber......

230,000 motorcycles registered on the small island I live on, and probably another 100,000 that are registered elsewhere. Many are ridden two, three or more up..... and not an ATGATT in sight.

Helmets on maybe 35% of heads; sandals on the feet of most; shorts covering about 40% of bums and miniskirts covering another 40%.

Sure there are a few injuries and the odd death, but it's not carnage.

Of the couple of thousand students that have come through my classes over the past nine years, 95% ride motorcycles. The odd one comes along with a bit of skin off, but so far the only two students have been killed during the four years they are with us. They died in a tsunami.

I don't advocate not wearing gear, and I don't deny the danger, but I do reckon you have to be practical and wear gear appropriate to your level of risk. Heck, I always wear sturdy sandals and a shortie helmet when I am on my scoot here.

Come and preach if you like..... they are pretty good at reciting mantras. Just don't expect too many converts.

Scorpion Exo 700

Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket

Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 pants

Speed and Strength leather summer gloves

Speed and Strength Moment of Truth shoes, or my combat boots, depending...

I also have a pair of older winter gloves from Joe Rocket I use when it's cold/raining. They are way too thick though.

Forgot my backpack, pretty much never leave home w/o out.

21 - 40 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.