Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question;

where can one find the list of procedures to be carried out in the 1000km service for the bike?
I just want to know that the dealer has done everything they're supposed to.

cheers

edit: perhaps wrong section. sorry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My blind ass found it in the owners manual. nevermind!

Inspect/Adjust valve clearance
Replace engine oil
replace engine oil filter
Inspect/adjust engine idle speed

How much do most dealerships charge everyone for this service?

·
Registered
378 Posts
My dealer, Western New York Cycle, Inc. in Buffalo, NY, quoted me $195 which includes valve adjustment if needed.
western ny ya say... i'm from the perry/warsaw area and work in batavia. small world.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ended up beince charged $220 Australian

the invoice doesn't say they inspected or adjusted valves however...

$150 labour
(checking lights/chain/steering/ etc.)

$40 oil kit

$20 environmental fee. somethin like that..

no mention of valve adjustment...

should I be taking it back to them? how many hrs labour does the valve inspection/adjustment take?

or should i just wait until 10,000k service - any harm in waiting that long for valve inspection/adjustment?

·
Registered
177 Posts
ended up beince charged $220 Australian

the invoice doesn't say they inspected or adjusted valves however...

$150 labour
(checking lights/chain/steering/ etc.)

$40 oil kit

$20 environmental fee. somethin like that..

no mention of valve adjustment...

should I be taking it back to them? how many hrs labour does the valve inspection/adjustment take?

or should i just wait until 10,000k service - any harm in waiting that long for valve inspection/adjustment?
I'd call them and ask. The owners manual says it should be changed at the first service. I'd make sure they did it. Just my $.02

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd call them and ask. The owners manual says it should be changed at the first service. I'd make sure they did it. Just my $.02
yeah thanks.
called - they admitted to just being a bunch of lazys for not writing it on the invoice but do assure me they checked the valve clearances as they go by the honda workshop manual and their invoicing system just doesnt list the same/correct things.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds suspect to me... checking the valve clearances is quite a bit more involved than just looking at the chain and lights. Seems like something you'd put at the top of an invoice to show the customer all of the impressive work you did.

If it were me, I'd take the bike somewhere else and have them just check the valve clearances. Shouldn't take more than an hour. If they're out of spec, go back to the original dealer and demand that they do the adjustments for free since at that point, it will have been obvious that they got caught lying.

I don't mean to sound overly paranoid... It's perfectly possible that they did do the valve check and that everything is fine. But it's been well-documented here that a majority of dealers prefer to deliberately skip checking the valves because it takes actual time to do as opposed to just changing the oil and then charging a couple hundred dollars for "first service."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts