Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im a canyon novice. I starting going at least once a week on my days off now for the last couple months and it has become my new hobby. My goal is to be safe and have fun, not end up like those canyon squirrels. However, I am still riding the stock tires, which seem fine, but I am sure there are better tires. What do you guys recommend as far as brand, size, etc? Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings Cytochromec,

First question for you to answer to yourself. How fast and how far over, do you want to operate the cbr. If you have ever watch MotoGP. If you want to copy the Riders. The tires on you cbr will not be stock.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Greetings Cytochromec,

First question for you to answer to yourself. How fast and how far over, do you want to operate the cbr. If you have ever watch MotoGP. If you want to copy the Riders. The tires on you cbr will not be stock.

Well, I was actually thinking about getting these
brackets to help with clearance because on some turns I scrap my boot on the pavement. Im no motogp but I do like the speed/leaning sensation within my limits, which is a toe-scrape here and there (certainly not every turn). When I check my tires after a ride in the canyons the unused patch on the tire is a little shy of the brim; like what is left unused doesn't even look like a usable part of the tire anyway (the edge). I never thought of running out of tire until your comment. I figured my limit was my balls, but these thin tires could be dangerous and cause a side out or something. Im 100% serious here folks, cause most people say thicker tires = idiot, but should I upgrade +10mm size?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Tire choices are somewhat limited for our bikes.

Once my stock tires are spent I will be switching to Pirelli Sport Demons in stock sizes.

Tires really are a personal choice. I find that I have more confidence with Pirelli rubber over any others. I like the pointier profile of their tires & how my bikes respond to them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Boots Draging.

Well, I was actually thinking about getting these
brackets to help with clearance because on some turns I scrap my boot on the pavement. Im no motogp but I do like the speed/leaning sensation within my limits, which is a toe-scrape here and there (certainly not every turn). When I check my tires after a ride in the canyons the unused patch on the tire is a little shy of the brim; like what is left unused doesn't even look like a usable part of the tire anyway (the edge). I never thought of running out of tire until your comment. I figured my limit was my balls, but these thin tires could be dangerous and cause a side out or something. Im 100% serious here folks, cause most people say thicker tires = idiot, but should I upgrade +10mm size?
When you are making a curve. Is you foot centered on the footpeg on the inside of the curve? Or, is the ball or toes of your foot resting on the footpeg?

Something else to try, is shifting your position on the seat. Or, a different rear set to move your feet higher and back some.

Just a little fly in the oinment, when having so much Fun.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I scrape my boot toe too..several times this past week alone..It is only when I do that I will realize my foot arch is resting on the foot peg..then I will move my foot back so the ball of my foot is on the peg... when ur leaned way over it still kinda freaks you out when it starts scraping,you know right then your on the edge of your tire and your footpegs are a mere inch or so from the pavement too...well,freaky but yet kinda exciting at the same time..think about it, if you leaned your bike over in your driveway, look how far over on its side it has to be for the footpegs to almost touch? pretty awesome right?

and on stock tires too but when they need replaced I wont put IRC's back on..but i can't stress enough that they have been more than adequate for me both in sharp turns and on wet pavement in the rain so far.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I scrape my boot toe too..several times this past week alone..It is only when I do that I will realize my foot arch is resting on the foot peg..then I will move my foot back so the ball of my foot is on the peg... when ur leaned way over it still kinda freaks you out when it starts scraping,you know right then your on the edge of your tire and your footpegs are a mere inch or so from the pavement too...well,freaky but yet kinda exciting at the same time..think about it, if you leaned your bike over in your driveway, look how far over on its side it has to be for the footpegs to almost touch? pretty awesome right?
Don't forget cornering and braking compresses your suspension, lowering your ride height.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello, Im a canyon novice. I starting going at least once a week on my days off now for the last couple months and it has become my new hobby. My goal is to be safe and have fun, not end up like those canyon squirrels. However, I am still riding the stock tires, which seem fine, but I am sure there are better tires. What do you guys recommend as far as brand, size, etc? Thanks
The limiting factor in your lateral acceleration is not your tires, it is the condition of the public roads you ride on. Gravel, oil, water, dust, paint strips, etc all limit your traction to a value well below that of the stock tires on the bike. In other words, the road limits you, not the stock tires.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
They are not 'Thin tyres' ,(quite big for 250 actually) they are not 'Dangerous'

You'll get faster cornering thru body positioning than anything else.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Not sure exactly what's available for the CBR right now, but generally you want a full-sport tire like a Michelin Pilot Power, Continental Sport Attack, or Bridgestone BT-016 for sport riding. I personally always run a full-sport tire on the front. It's going to give you maximum traction when you need it most - cornering and stopping. Tires only last 4 to 5 years (miles don't really matter) until they begin to deteriorate and lose traction, so if you aren't wearing your tires out in that amount of time you aren't losing anything by going to a softer sport tire. Stick with the stock size. I agree with Rick - the pavement is really the biggest, most unpredictable, factor - be careful.

As far as dragging your toe, as noted, make sure you have the ball of your foot (not the center) on the peg. Your size and weight will also have an effect. If you are at the edge of the tire, and are also scraping things, most likely you need to change your body position and hang-off more.

If you really like sport riding, attend a riding school at a track. That's the best way to learn to go it right.

Jay

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you really like sport riding, attend a riding school at a track. That's the best way to learn to go it right.

Jay
That would be awesome but I have a shitty job with a different schedule every single week, making my life unstable. Scheduling a hangout is near impossible let alone a full on riding school. Alas, this may have a lot to do with why Im in the canyons to begin with :confused: dun matter :D

Thanks for the tips people, I think Ima stick with default size and get sportier tires when I wear these stock ones out. Ima pay more attention to foot placing next time I go out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts