Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all:

Heading into the end of season, is now the best time to get deals or should I wait until next spring? I'm getting back into riding after about a decade hiatus and not sure when the new stuff comes out and when the deals are.

The other factor (here in Toronto that is) is we have two winter bike shows:

1. Factory one in December
2. Non-factory in January

Are there better deals at the shows if I want, or should I jump on some of the end of season stuff I'm seeing now?

Specifically, looking to get a new set of gear (helmet, jacket, gloves and maybe boots) for me and my riding buddy.

Also, online stuff (US sites) seem to have some decent deals with free shipping.

Thanks (especially TO / Ontario riders) in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
66 Posts
newenough.com, or something like that, ususally gets in some really good closeout deals. You can sign up for email notifications (they won't spam you).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Be careful when buying a helmet on closeout. Helmets do have an expiration date and closeout helmets are usually the result of a retailer trying to get rid of product before he can no longer legally sell it.

Try the trade shows to score a good deal on gear. They are trade show only deals that are pretty good. At the very least you can see gear from a lot of manufactures at once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be careful when buying a helmet on closeout. Helmets do have an expiration date and closeout helmets are usually the result of a retailer trying to get rid of product before he can no longer legally sell it.

Try the trade shows to score a good deal on gear. They are trade show only deals that are pretty good. At the very least you can see gear from a lot of manufactures at once.
How does a helmet have an expiration date? You mean expires into "closeout"?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No, the helmets themselves expire. The foam liner that protects your head in a crash gets brittle over time and eventually doesn't absorb kinetic energy like it should once it passes a certain age. The plastic outer shell can also get brittle from exposure to sun if you wear it frequently. Most manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every 5 years from the date of manufacture. So if the helmet's been sitting in a warehouse for a year, you effectively have only four years of use.

The manufacturers probably err on the side of caution (and profit), and some riders therefore believe you can safely stretch it out to 6 or 7. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell (non-destructively) when a helmet is past it's prime, so the safest thing to do is just replace it when they say to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
newenough.com, or something like that, ususally gets in some really good closeout deals. You can sign up for email notifications (they won't spam you).
NewEnough.com has changed, they are now MotorcycleGear.com. They wanted to avoid misleading consumers into thinking they only sold used gear.

Helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet after a few years, even if it's never been used. Part of it has to do with the integrity of the materials, such as adhesives used to join parts together... and part of the reason is to avoid any potential liability. A Shoei rep from another forum said:

"We suggest that our helmets be replaced 5 years from purchase date or 7 years from manufacture date, whichever comes first. We also cover our helmets for the entire lifespan of the helmet (5 years from purchase date or 7 years from manufacture date) with a full warranty against manufacturing defects. If you are unsure that your helmet is still safe to be worn, do to exposure to chemicals, extreme heat, impact damage, etc, you can send in your Shoei helmet to us for a free inspection. Once we receive the inspection it takes 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion, we return the helmet to you UPS Ground with a letter stating the results of our inspection. The inspection and return shipping are free."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts