Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I chose the Shoei 1100 because it is a high quality brand, Snell and CU certified, and fits me well. Fit and quality are the keys for me. It whistles a little at speed, but I am hoping that adjusting the visor may help. I ended up with a silver and pink, previous year grphic, because I got a huge discount. I bought it at my local powersports dealer because my opinion is that if I like having them there so I can try on the helmets, clothes and boots before purchasing, then I need to make my purchase there as well. So far their prices have been very competitive. I bought the HJC 16 for my passenger - again, it fit the primary passenger.
I wanted to get the Bell Vortex since it was very highly rated especially for the price, but no one around me carries Bell! webbikeworld.com has very thorough reviews, including head shape guides. I used them to help narrow things down.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Shoei RF-1100, with pinlock visor. I am very happy with my setup. It has excellent safety and comfort, and it will NOT fog up!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What I chose to wear varies with circumstances.

Here I wear a shortie because it is quick to put on, and offers unimpeded field of vision and hearing. There is a trade off in protection compared to helmets with more coverage, but it is appropriate for the environment I ride in. Speeds are relatively low (60 - 70 km/hr max, mostly less) and being aware is paramount.

When I am in other places, where I am riding at higher speeds on more open roads I use a 3/4 helmet. Part of motorcycling for me is the wind in my face and the sensations of the environment. Besides, I tend to take the byways rather than the highways, and am not into riding fast on the road; 80 - 90 km/hr max on the open road is fine for me.

I have never been able to get along with full face helmets, but if I was spending much time on high speed highways I would learn to like them.

Off road, if I am just pottering, such as around a farm or whatever, I don't wear a helmet.... just a woolly beanie if it is cold, and a sun hat if it is sunny. If I am playing silly buggers, I'm pushing things a bit so I do wear a helmet.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Is there a break in period where the foam settles in? Anyone?
I measured my head carefully with tailor's tape and ordered according to the Arai size chart. When I first tried it on, I though wow this thing is a skull-crusher! I wore it around the house for 30 minutes and couldn't stand it any more. I decided to go ahead and remove the 5mm cheek and temple padding...even though I was risking making the helmet non-returnable. That seemed to do the trick; the helmet was still snug but it didn't feel like my head was in a vise.

Now that I've been wearing it a month, it feels great. I can ride for hours with no discomfort.

My backup plan, in case it was still to tight after taking out the removeable pads, was to go from the standard 7mm liner and pads to thinner 5mm pieces as seen here:

Arai Vector-2 Interior Liner

Arai Vector-2 Replacement Cheek Pads

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I measured my head carefully with tailor's tape and ordered according to the Arai size chart. When I first tried it on, I though wow this thing is a skull-crusher! I wore it around the house for 30 minutes and couldn't stand it any more. I decided to go ahead and remove the 5mm cheek and temple padding...even though I was risking making the helmet non-returnable. That seemed to do the trick; the helmet was still snug but it didn't feel like my head was in a vise.

Now that I've been wearing it a month, it feels great. I can ride for hours with no discomfort.

My backup plan, in case it was still to tight after taking out the removeable pads, was to go from the standard 7mm liner and pads to thinner 5mm pieces as seen here:

Arai Vector-2 Interior Liner

Arai Vector-2 Replacement Cheek Pads
I rode with mine the last two days. now I don't even notice it..it broke in perfectly!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I've always worn Bell Helmets. From my first Bell Star full-face helmet in the 1980s to my current Bell Apex I have always loved the fit and quality of every Bell helmet I've owned.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's another look. I picked up an aftermarket iridiumvisor off amazon or ebay. Paid $40 vs $100 from Arai. The fit was a lil crunchy at 1st... but worked out fine.

I decided to try aftermarket due to my 1st mirrored visor with my Vector 2 getting scratched so easily. The aftermarket one definitely seems way more durable, but the fit isn't as precise. Still worth the savings tho :)

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I have 2 pair of Oakley sunglasses but when I ride I wear photochromic transition sunglasses.
Change from clear to dark for $10 on eBay.
Works for me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Seven Zero Seven backlash. I guess the matte black finish really appealed to me even though I was told that once it starts to get dirty, it'll be hard to wipe it clean. The good side was that it fit more snug than any other helmet available in the store and it broke in beautifully.

I know a lot of people say helmets aren't for fashion and stuff, but I figured since the helmet is blank for the most part I'd add my own small decals and stuff. Does anyone else do that or thought about it?

·
Registered
252 Posts
^My 1st arai vector 2 was just the diamond white color, and I decorated it with reflective white and black stickers.

But fit is the definite priority. Graphics and design is second if even a factor at all.

A good looking helmet without the proper fit is just wreckless and irresponsible.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That pic shows the silver wheels in a good light. You can see the wheels spinning. Might not poweredcoat them after seeing this pic.
Yea I like this look too... I put silver reflective rim strips on here too. Gives it more pop in the daytime and at night, they're bright as hell. :cool:

But don't get me wrong... the black wheels are sexy as ____ too. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I have 3 helmets: 2 red and 1 black.

I'm not making this up...honest!
When I wear the red helmets cars get right up to my back wheel at stoplights.
And when I'm moving they tailgate me.
BUT...
When I wear this black helmet people always back off a safe distance.

Go figure!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts