Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know what the FSM recommends? Is it Synthetic or conventional? Also which one do you guys think would be better to use? I know technically synthetic is better than conventional but in some vehicles conventional is more than enough for the motor.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A couple of refiners, like Mobil, produce a synthetic (like Mobil 1 just for bikes). I've never used anything but synthetic in my cars, because they deal with high temps better, don't break down as easily (maintain their viscosity), and are more forgiving if you don't hit that oil change time-stamp religiously.

Just remember that if you start with a synthetic, best practice is to not go back to conventional... I think it more than pays for the premium price...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Id go with whatever the FSM would recommend for it. They put a lot of time into doing research on whats the best for it so why not follow their recommendation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i would go with synthetic no matter what. theyre engineered to lubricate better and outlast conventional oil. the extra price you pay when you buy them is worth the extra protection and longevity that they provide.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Why is this question even being asked?

The CBR takes a little over a litre of whatever you want to put in it. Spending the extra couple of bucks for synth isn't gonna break anybodies bank.

Break your engine in with dino to allow the engine to break in, after about 3000-5000 switch it over to synth.

Oil threads... why am I even reading/replying this?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use convential motorcycle oil, alway have alway will. Never had any issues on new vehicles. i usually replace mine every 1500 miles. book doesnt say synthetic or convential, just 10-30 or 10-40 motorcycle oil

·
Registered
878 Posts
I suspect the only reason people even post on these threads is to build up their post count. As far as I know every bike comes with a manual. These aren't highly stressed motors, it's not rocket science, put in oil and ride it, change it when the manual tells you to, if it makes you feel good use synthetic and change it every week. The one's who are really laughing are the oil companies.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I suspect like many modern bikes the baby blade ships with full syn from the factory.
Now that I doubt very much. They cheap out at every possible chance, I can't see them spending the extra 50 cents for synth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I guess majority would recommend synthetic. I guess for the extra money it will cost me in the long run its worth investing that into the bike.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I suspect the only reason people even post on these threads is to build up their post count. As far as I know every bike comes with a manual. These aren't highly stressed motors, it's not rocket science, put in oil and ride it, change it when the manual tells you to, if it makes you feel good use synthetic and change it every week. The one's who are really laughing are the oil companies.
Yes they are.......

As to the question. As long as you choose one that meets all the criteria in the owners manual then a synthetic can only help. The extra money isn't a big deal and it'll make you feel more confident in the life of it so it's worth it. These do not require or come from the factory with synthetic.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes they are.......
Okay, I'll bite, what's highly stressed about our low revving 24 hp 250cc water cooled engines?? Maybe the original CBR250s but I don't think they were even considered highly stressed!!

The reality of it is you could ride out of the showroom with a brand new CBR250, ride around the world without changing oil and the engine would be in the same pristine condition when you arrived back as it was in when you left. Yes, you might have more confidence if you put in synthetic first and changed every 1000 miles but your wallet would be a lot smaller. I'd feel better if you did as well, I invest in the oil companies.

Reading a lot of the reponses on these oil threads it seems recommendations are based more on feeling warm and fuzzy than on any rational research or proof. Has anyone ever heard of an oil related engine failure caused by an owner adhering to the factory recommended oil type and oil change intervals?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Okay, I'll bite, what's highly stressed about our low revving 24 hp 250cc water cooled engines?? Maybe the original CBR250s but I don't think they were even considered highly stressed!!

The reality of it is you could ride out of the showroom with a brand new CBR250, ride around the world without changing oil and the engine would be in the same pristine condition when you arrived back as it was in when you left. Yes, you might have more confidence if you put in synthetic first and changed every 1000 miles but your wallet would be a lot smaller. I'd feel better if you did as well, I invest in the oil companies.
It might be low revving compared to some bikes but it is not a low revving engine. Plus you need about half throttle to ride on the highway, how many vehicles do you know that need to be at half throttle to cruise? The little engine does a lot of work and this puts it under a lot of stress.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It might be low revving compared to some bikes but it is not a low revving engine. Plus you need about half throttle to ride on the highway, how many vehicles do you know that need to be at half throttle to cruise? The little engine does a lot of work and this puts it under a lot of stress.
By any engineering parameters I'm aware of our engines would not be considered highly stressed, actually quite the contrary. These engines don't need or require synthetic oil or frequent oil changes. Lots of people use it if they operate under special conditions such as racing like Aufitt or they're seeking fuel mileage beyond the norm like Sendler or maybe trying to get a record setting 500,000 miles out of their bike. All I'm saying is if the bike is used as Honda intended synthetic oil or extended change intervals aren't necessary.....but if it makes someone feel good then do it. If it wasn't for these oil threads my post count would be 0.

·
Registered
706 Posts
By any engineering parameters I'm aware of our engines would not be considered highly stressed, actually quite the contrary. These engines don't need or require synthetic oil or frequent oil changes. Lots of people use it if they operate under special conditions such as racing like Aufitt or they're seeking fuel mileage beyond the norm like Sendler or maybe trying to get a record setting 500,000 miles out of their bike. All I'm saying is if the bike is used as Honda intended synthetic oil or extended change intervals aren't necessary.....but if it makes someone feel good then do it. If it wasn't for these oil threads my post count would be 0.
I never said it was necessary, but I do feel these engines take a beating.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You're right, oil in a motorbike not only looks after the engine but the transmission and clutch. That's why we have motorcyle oil. I've never thought synthetic oil isn't better just that it isn't necessary for most riders. I'll try and make this my last oil thread post!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts