Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner's Manual recommends Pro Honda HP Chain Lube or would you recommend another brand? And why?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Motul is my favourite, its super sticky so doesnt end up all over the swingarm after 10 minutes, they all have there good and bad quality's, but you really do get what you pay for when it comes to lubricants, so i would suggest spend a few extra dollars and get a decent brand name... oh btw make sure its an "o-ring" chain lubricant

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Owner's Manual recommends Pro Honda HP Chain Lube or would you recommend another brand? And why?
Of course Honda will recommend their own chain lube. I have used various brands over the years; whatever has been available really. Having started motorcycling before aerosol chain lube came on to the market, to me they are all good.

No doubt some brands are better than others, but performance could differ with conditions (ambient temperature, rain etc). Probably better to ask locally rather than globally.

They are all better than ordinary oil. That is is better than nothing, but is messy and does not stay on for long.

Country lad that I am, I have used chainsaw chain-bar oil when motorcycle chain lube was not available. It is sticky, and better than ordinary oil too.

As CBR Downunder says, make sure you use o-ring lube on your CBR250R chain. Solvents used to carry lube in non compatible products can damage the o-rings on the chain.

You should spray the lube on, then leave it for about 20 minutes before riding. That allows time for the solvents to evaporate, and the lube to adhere to the chain. It is a good idea to do it at the end of a ride, while the chain is warm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
DuPont Teflon multi-purpose lube. O-ring safe and not only does it lube really well but it also cleans like a champ. Been using it on my wife's bike and have yet to find anything better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I second that. Great product and inexpensive. I picked up a new product at Walmart, "Dupont Teflon Chain Saver".
Dry, self cleaning lubricant but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I enjoy the Motul. Like CBR Downunder said, it's sticky so won't sling off da chain.
Make sure you hit it with a good cleaner and thorough brushing, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WD40 rules

I have several bikes and after reading this
http://www.members.cox.net/watt-man/WD40experiment.pdf
I was convinced. But even if you aren't convinced I'll gladly give up a few thousand miles on my chain so I don't have a greasy, grimy mess in the back. My clean up after using WD40 is minimal. Doesn't stick to my clothes, tires, rims, spokes or frame. That's easily worth what I may be giving up in mileage. Have 9800 miles on my KLR650 and it has never used anything but WD40. As far as I can see the chain appears to be as new. No kinks, no stretch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where can you buy the dupont lube in Canada?
You head over the border to the closest Lowes in the US. Maybe the Lowes in Ontario carries them as well.

There are some specialty mechanic shops that sell them in Canada if you look... but their prices are **** compared to the price and availability at Lowes in the States. I think you can also order online from Lowes in the US and get them to ship to one of those places that holds things for you near the border and then go pick it up. Buy a big batch at once and split it with your friends.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Motul or Belray. Clear, nice and clean.

ALWAYs have your chain wet looking.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Slightly off topic, but i've never lubed my chain on several bikes and many years of riding.. but then I never cared for a bike like the 250R. What's the recommended interval for the 250R?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Slightly off topic, but i've never lubed my chain on several bikes and many years of riding.. but then I never cared for a bike like the 250R. What's the recommended interval for the 250R?
Every 2/3 tanks of fuel for a small bike like the 250 will keep it new (almost)forever.
Where as A big bore will dry a chain out in a days hard charging.

If anyone worries about a bit of grime on the rim ..give up motorcycles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Every 2/3 tanks of fuel for a small bike like the 250 will keep it new (almost)forever.
Where as A big bore will dry a chain out in a days hard charging.

If anyone worries about a bit of grime on the rim ..give up motorcycles.
Thank you sir.:) I'll buy a bottle today.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts