Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when i pick up mine what would be the best way to break it in? some people believe in doing a hard break in while others believe in doing a soft break in. which one do you recommend and why?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always believed in a hard break in. That way everything seats pretty quickly. Doing a soft break in leaves too many things to chance in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
^I partially agree with what youre saying. But the problem with that is the manufacturer already puts a certain amount of miles before it even gets delivered to you. Also add to that the amount of miles thats added when its delivered and you almost 100% have missed the period when you can do a hard break in. So I always do a soft break in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what do you recommend the maximum mileage allowed to still properly do a hard break in? not saying i would do a hard break in over a soft break in. but just in case i do decide to go that route.

·
Registered
724 Posts
1st day- heat cycle the bike let it cool at 2 hour intervals, let it rip up and down the rev range in each gear a few times. Take one weekend day and your break in is all done.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
so when i pick up mine what would be the best way to break it in? some people believe in doing a hard break in while others believe in doing a soft break in. which one do you recommend and why?
Here we go again.

If you go hard enough you'll lose it and break it alright; maybe yourself too.

If you read the Owner's Manual you'll find running in covered in one short paragraph.

In short, take it a bit easy initially, but just ride the effing thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I pick mine up, my plan is:

- ride easy until the oil temp comes up (maybe 3-5 miles)

then...

- ride solidly through all the gears through their full rpm range
- don't lug it, don't bounce the rev limiter
- accelerate smoothly, don't pin the throttle
- don't stay at the same RPM
- come home after about 50 miles

Not ride it like you stole it, but not "I didn't exceed 6000 RPM for the first 500 miles..." either.

·
Registered
999 Posts
When I pick mine up, my plan is:

- ride easy until the oil temp comes up (maybe 3-5 miles)

then...

- ride solidly through all the gears through their full rpm range
- don't lug it, don't bounce the rev limiter
- accelerate smoothly, don't pin the throttle
- don't stay at the same RPM
- come home after about 50 miles

Not ride it like you stole it, but not "I didn't exceed 6000 RPM for the first 500 miles..." either.
+1

4000 miles on my bike now and I still haven't needed to add any oil. I think I got my rings seated good and tight.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Another break in thread? it's like asking what oil is the best. I own a smaller motorsports shop and I have built more engines than I can care to count. I have never "broken in" an engine. Heat cycle it twice then beat the snot out of it. The only bikes I even remotely break in are 4 strokes which is what were talking about but it's always for about an hour to break in the cam. thats my 0.02

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have 2 bikes (both cbr250) i broke mine the most simple way:
first run idle till runing temperature achieved.
cool down.
idle to runing temperature and just took it to 400 km trip redlined it twice or so hitted the limiter and so on.
no iam not rode it like i stole it just ordinary riding.
my father (the second bike) untill 500km babied it.
kept rpm below 7k always rode easy on the engine.
after first service we both did a trip mine bike with my adittional 30 kg of waight was much faster and stronger.
only when i made my father to push the bike awhile to redline it couple of times to hit the limiter his bike got some power.
so from my expirience its simple
Easy on the warm up and just ride the **** thing.
just as honda says

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's not a proper winter if don't have at least two break-in threads and a couple dozen oil threads.

Most people can't/won't ride in the winter so what else is there to do besides argue on the internet??? :p;):p

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's not a proper winter if don't have at least two break-in threads and a couple dozen oil threads.

Most people can't/won't ride in the winter so what else is there to do besides argue on the internet??? :p;):p
thank god in israel we have only 90 rainy days a year.
so we can ride almost all year

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Throw it off a cliff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on how to break it in. But the most important thing is that you don't actually break it when you do the break in. So whether you decide to do a hard of soft break-in just don't push it past what its supposed to handle.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
SOOOOOOOOO many posts on this.....to the point of nauseum. Ride it like you stole it, vary the rpms, don't thrash it, don't baby it and you will have a bike like Aufitt, Metalstorm, Sender, and me and the others who have nary a compaint. We love our bikes, regardless of our bigger cc history. Enjoy. It's not rocket science.:eek:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings Ghost Rider,

Welcome to the school of Hard Knocks. What a New cbr Owner to do. You're at a point, where all first time motorcycle owners have been. There is no Magic answer.

Ask yourself this question. Who is going to take the responsibility of breaking in this New cbr.

When you answer this question, you will have decided on how you are going to breakin you New cbr.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well... I'm apparently deep into the "hard" break-in philosophy...

(Don't see how you can get on some nice twisty have-it-to-yourself country mountain-road for about 70 miles, on a perfect 80 degree Atlanta spring day, and *NOT* ummmm... "ride the thing...")

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So mine was delivered with 4 miles on it. The next day I threw on all my gear and drove 30 miles to work. I have 200 miles on it now and it runs as well as it should.

I even got a thumbs up from 2 other bikers on GSXR's

1 - 20 of 23 Posts