Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The motto for a Phoenix summer is the devil called and he wants his weather back. Anyways I wanted to introduce myself. I am finishing a safety class this weekend and will be continuing my riding education programmed rides around the block and in the immediate local vicinity as well as practice sessions in an empty parking lots with some of the more important technique, which for me is all of them :). I am a new rider, literally, and I purchased a used CBR 250 as my first bike. I am very excited to be riding and also very cautious as I want to approach the riding arts with respect. I am looking forward to chiming in where I can as well as learning from the vast knowledge of all of you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yo, I'm from Phoenix as well. You may notice the radiator fan will turn on after riding for a while. And it is really hot here, but I still wear full leather jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc.

Otherwise, the bike is good. I'm just waiting to hit 5-600 miles to get my first service.

I just took the MSF back in March.. so this is also my first bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool to have someone else from Phoenix. My bike is black and I am concerned about the heat as well. My bike may sit outside at work on hot days and that is a concern but I will be buying a cover but riding to work will be down the road for me. I'm glad you wear safety gear, I see too many people in shorts and no helmets. It really scares me. I plan on wearing helmet, jacket, pants and gloves at all times when I am riding. Quick ? For you, after you got out of msf how comfortable did you feel taking your bike out and riding in traffic?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, I actually was scared ****-less when I drove it off the lot, and i considered riding it straight back. However, I kept it and started riding around at night on empty roads (like Hayden) and so far I have about 300 total miles. I have ridden it to work several times and it seems to be fine in traffic, but I pay lots of attention to shifting, being in the right gear, braking, etc. I also wear a white helmet for visibility . My biggest problem is shifting correctly, not letting the RPMS drop too much.

So I would say a good month or so before I was comfortable taking it out in traffic. I'm still really careful, cautious, etc. its a lot of fun though..

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is my first bike too. I took the MSF course last month and haven't looked back (figuratively speaking) since. I was scared at first too but I got over that pretty quickly. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys, I suspect I will be scared at first too. I will be cautious but in order to overcome fear, you must confront it and I will. I imagine a certain confidence builds as you ride more and gain more experience. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, I'm certainly going to heaven, cuz I've already spent my time in Phoenix.. About three years a decade ago for me.
Welcome to the forum.
Despite the heat, I never wore 'crocks and a tshirt' when riding; but it took discipline to gear up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Overcoming your fear is one of the best aspects of motorcycling. It ain't natural to fly down the road with nothing between you and the elements at high speed. What a rush though!! I love it!! I had not ridden since 1991, and have been able to adjust to this bike very quickly. I was really nervous to begin with, but it's starting to become second nature to ride again.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Same for me..never been to phoenix but the weather gets really hot here in east tn..the humidity is what makes it even worse...93 end up feeling like 100 due to the heat index..,.I wear textile pants ,jacket,boots gloves on every ride..helmets are mandatory...with the air moving across you it isnt anywhere near as hot as everyone seems to think it is for you..
This is my 2nd bike...I havent ridden in 14 years tho...i have had my bike for less than a week and have 450 miles on it now and some of that is heavy traffic and interstate...I was very timid at first but now I am having to tell myself to slow down because my confidence lvl is up and I catch myself speeding every now and then...be safe,drive defensively and enjoy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts